Got a call this morning about a bee tree, so my
son & I loaded up our stuff and went to check
The nest was in the hollow trunk of a very large
pine tree that was already cut down yesterday.
(they were clearing brush and small trees)
After cutting the trunk down to a managable length,
we split the nest with mauls and cut out the comb.
The comb cells were TINY
We tied the comb into empty frames with rubberbands
as suggessted on this forum. It worked great
It was 88F today and the bees were active, but not
aggressive at all. This was probably due to the
multitude of smoke I used
I realize now, why so many of you do this
removal/swarm thing, It's was just a blast.
We had a little audiance of bystanders
who were amazed and had loads of questions.
At first, a couple of guys were standing pretty
close, until the trunk split open and rolled a
couple of feet. The interior of the nest was
totally exposed and the bees seemed to all
take to the air at once, then we looked
around to see their reaction, they were gone
This was almost
as fun as the first time I
popped my cherry
Sorry, but no pictures, my wife has the camera
with her, on a trip to southern California