Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 05:24:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarm Redemption...Sort of!  (Read 326 times)
Moots
Queen Bee

« on: March 14, 2013, 11:43:28 PM »

Ok....after the disappointment yesterday of my first attempt for a swarm turning out to not really be a swarm, I had a little better luck today.  I still didn't score any bees because I was just tagging along with a member of our local bee club.  Anyway, it was still a pretty cool experience and fun.  Plus, to my unexperienced eye, I thought it was a pretty good looking swarm, not to mention conveniently located,  just a couple feet off the ground.

A little video of Mr. Gayne on the bee vac!   Smiley

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
ozebee
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 12:46:58 AM »

Nice swarm but why would you use a bee vac on such a simple swarm to collect and put into a box?Huh
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 05:09:28 AM »

Nice swarm but why would you use a bee vac on such a simple swarm to collect and put into a box?Huh

Not sure "I" would have...As I said, I was just asked to tag along, it wasn't my call, or my bees.  Honestly,  the same question did cross my mind...However, I will say this in hindsight, it did seem to work quite well.  He wanted to do it in one trip and didn't want to wait until after dark to leave.  A minimal amount of bees went airborne and we hung around for a while vacuuming up the stragglers...I'd say we got virtually darn near all the bees present.

I'm not sure had he done a shake how many bees would have seattled and made it to the box in comparison.  I'm also not sure what was his dead loss because of the use of the vacuum....but, he kept his suction very week and I wouldn't anticipate it to be much.

As I'm learning about swarms, it seems to be just like everything else in Beekeeping...Everyone has their own opinion on what's the "best" way to handle any given situation.  Smiley

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next