Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 19, 2014, 06:27:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Warre Comb  (Read 427 times)
Bush_84
House Bee

« on: March 17, 2013, 11:39:45 PM »

So I have some warre boxes of comb.  I don't intend of repopulating it this year.  What do you think I should do with it.  Some of it broke off the top bar so I rubber banded it to a Lang frame.  I have about 5 boxes.  Should I put more of them in Lang frames?  Otherwise I was just going to put them out to maybe entice a swarm.  Anything moth related I should consider if I just leave it in an empty box? 

Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.
bailey
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:57:32 AM »

If you leave it out get some bt to spray the comb with otherwise wax moth will destroy it. 
Baile

most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.
Bush_84
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »

If you leave it out get some bt to spray the comb with otherwise wax moth will destroy it. 
Baile

Do you have a source for the stuff? 

Keeping bees since 2011.

D Coates
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?225796-Agree-WG-Bt-Aizawai-Powder  I'm not sure if Sundance is here but he's a good guy to deal with.

Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...
Bush_84
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?225796-Agree-WG-Bt-Aizawai-Powder  I'm not sure if Sundance is here but he's a good guy to deal with.

Awesome.  Does spraying the comb have any issues with enticing a swarm?  Also how long does that last/when to reapply? 

Keeping bees since 2011.

D Coates
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 02:03:29 PM »

Once it's on it's like little landmines waiting to be triggered by the gut of a wax moth larva.  You can smell it a little when you spray it on but once it's dry it's got no smell I can pick up.  I put it on frames that I'm putting in swarm traps.  You'll see a little webbing here and there where moth larva started but a couple cells away you'll find a desiccated wax moth larva.  It's a fungus spore that dormant but I'm not 100% certain how long it's viable.  I do know it's good for at least a year though.  I've found no trouble with it's use and enticing swarms.  I don't work too hard at attracting swarms though (only one or two a year) but I'll pull these traps from the field for swarms I get calls on.  I use them as catch boxes as my supplies dwindle.  They do just fine.

Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...
Bush_84
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »

Well maybe I will just leave these warre boxes full of comb.  The more comb the better for enticing a local swarm.  I don't recall seeing honey bees around my house before I kept bees, but maybe I just wasn't watching closely.  I know for a fact that the mayor of my town keeps bees.  So that's something. 

Keeping bees since 2011.

bailey
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:23:34 PM »

Just be sure to do the bt thing or get ready to have a hive full of good fish bait.
Bailey

most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next