Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 24, 2014, 10:53:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Quotes: Lets Share  (Read 3018 times)
Wonga
House Bee

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury refill

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 02:55:02 AM »

"If very hard work was really good for you, the rich folks would keep it all for themselves."  Don't know who said this first.

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes." Oscar Wilde.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa.

As an aside, it seems like Winston Churchill gets quoted a lot more than anything except maybe the Bible.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 08:40:47 AM »

>As an aside, it seems like Winston Churchill gets quoted a lot more than anything except maybe the Bible.

The most quoted English writer is actually Alexander Pope.  Half of the quotes attributed to Ben Franklin, Mark Twain, Shakespeare and even the Bible, actually are paraphrases of Alexander Pope, if not outright quotes...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 05:33:06 PM »

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.  The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." --C.S. Lewis,
God in the Dock

Do you and I see eye to eye about this Michael?

Is anyone in Boston or DC paying attention?  I doubt it.

After reading the paragraph below SLOWLY re-read the last sentence in its entirety. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_River_War

“ How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property - either as a child, a wife, or a concubine - must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.
  • Thousands become the brave and loyal soldiers of the faith: all know how to die but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of ancient Rome. ”

As written by Lt. (and future Prime Minister) Winston Churchill about his service in the 4th Queen's Own Hussars, the 31st Punjab Regiment, and her Majesties’ 21St Lancers, during his Army service in Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, Egypt, Sudan, South Sudan etc.  as published in “The River War” 1899.

* IMHO there are no “Feminist” who give a hoot about the fate of women under the foot of Mohammedism.  So called “Feminist” today work only for the downfall of this country whether they realize it or not.

I don’t usually quote the Old Testament, I think that the Bible of Moses and the Prophets is much too filled with violence and sexual content than is good for young children and old women.  LOL  But here goes nothing.

They who sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind.  Hosea: chapter 8, verse 7.
Sundog
House Bee

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »

One of my personal pet peeves (I know, who cares?) is misquotes and mutations.  Such as…

History repeats itself”  (Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.)

History neither remembers nor repeats itself. - Sundog

cool
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 12:38:55 PM »

One of my personal pet peeves ... is ... “History repeats itself”  ...
History neither remembers nor repeats itself.

In so far as history is a inanimate object or thing I guess you are correct Sundog. But history is a vast collection of mistakes, forbales, miscalculations, and screwups committed by humans.  Are you saying that humans are becoming more infallible every generation?   If carried far enough this line of logic has all the ingredients needed to create Marx's Dictatorship of the Proletariat.  Because an increase in human awareness is the basis of Marx's and Engal's theories, resulting in a steadily decrease of the powers of central governments until the need for any government withers and blows away like last years leaves.

Now tell us all pray tell how will you or anyone else know when this day arrives without "HISTORY"?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 02:10:54 PM »

He told me he woke with fear in the morning and went to bed with fear in the night. I didn't believe him. I asked him, "How can a man be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave," he said.

Rob Stark
Game of Thrones.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
D Semple
Field Bee

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »

"An elevator smells different to a midget."

Some short guy
greg755
New Bee

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 07:40:22 PM »

Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder.
George Washington.
greg755
New Bee

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »

"The closest man has ever come to inventing a perpetual motion machine has been the creation of a well run business"
Greg LeGrand
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »

Perpetual motion machines violate the Law of Conservation of Energy; namely excess energy coming from nowhere (or some undisclosed location police).  Einstein related energy to mass.  If something is creating energy out of nothing, then according to Einstein it is also getting bigger and bigger over time via the E=mc*c relationship.  So for a well run business to be like a perpetual motion machine, it has to be getting bigger and BIGGER over time…..kind of sounds like the US Government doesn’t it. grin

Maybe we better stick with KingBees S-T-E-A-M power.  applause
greg755
New Bee

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »

Kind of but we all know the Government does NOT run well...
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 09:31:20 PM »

The earth spins on it's axis. If not by perpetual motion, then how?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
D Semple
Field Bee

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 08:09:54 AM »

The earth spins because billions of years ago the dust that formed the earth was spinning.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »

But what kept it spinning if there is no such thing as perpetual motion? Why didn't it slow and stop?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 09:05:37 AM »

Lack of friction. The spin of the Earth is indeed slowing down, due to tides and other effects of the Moon. Even the Moon is slowly getting farther and farther from the Earth, one day it will just wander away to be captured by—or smash into—another planet, or to leave the solar system completely.

“Nothing lasts forever.”

-glenn-
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »

I think I will try holding my breath until it happens. Mr. Semple says it hasn't stopped in billions of years, so just how fast is it slowing. Any time the air isn't perfectly calm, ""moving the same speed as earth", There is friction. Why is there no noticeable effect when a tornado hits a hillside or mountain?

The only reason I can see is, there is perpetual motion. As "man cannot fly", one day we will harness perpetual motion and our energy problems will be solved.

The only problem we will have then is DEMOCRATS.

evil   banana devil   lau   lau

*Shel Silverstein*
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »

While I agree with your cause of our energy problems, air and everything else on the Earth moves at the "same speed as the Earth." There's no friction from the space that surrounds the Earth; that's why it is tides and the Moon that is slowing it down. Physicists have somehow determined this slowdown to be some very small amount each year, but enough of a slowdown that we periodically have leap seconds in our time-keeping system to account for the slowdown. Will this slowdown continue until the Earth stops spinning? Who knows. The Sun will probably have gone supernova before then!

-glenn-
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »

Think about what you just said. As long as the air moves the same speed as the earth, we have total calm. Only when it moves at a different rate do we have wind.

*Shel Silverstein*
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »

That all happens inside the Earth's atmosphere. The friction I referred to is the friction between the atmosphere and the space around the Earth, of which there isn't any. I believe the topmost atmospheric layer is called the exosphere, and it is that outer layer that has no friction with surrounding space, which is a vacuum. The air and wind you are referring to is a phenomenon that happens way at the bottom of the atmospheric layers.

If you spin a ball on a table it only stops spinning due to the friction between it and the air around it and friction from where it touches the table.

I'm winging it here, BTW. I'm no expert with this stuff!

-glenn-
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 01:06:59 PM »

... Einstein related energy to mass.  If something is creating energy out of nothing, then according to Einstein it is also getting bigger and bigger over time via the E=mc*c relationship.  

Blue Blunde ur I mean Blue B.  Are you saying that the more oil or petroleum that BP drills the more gas and petroleum that remains in the Earth to be discovered, drilled, pumped, pipe lined, shipped, refined, sold, and burned? 

With the surge in oil reserves in nations like late strong man Hugo Chavez' Venusalina and current strong man  Barrack Obama's Colossus of the North, it is beginning to look like Einstein was on to something.  The more gas and oil we burn, the more gas and oil it looks like we have.

Thanks for pointing it out old buddy.  lau lau lau
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next