Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 06:52:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Quotes: Lets Share  (Read 2739 times)
ThePlot
New Bee

« on: March 08, 2013, 02:03:40 PM »

This is a thread for our favorite quotes:

"There is a tide in the affairs of men.
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures."

Julius Caesar Act 4, scene 3, 218–224 by Shakespeare

Please do share Smiley

Enjoy!
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:01:13 AM »

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”
― Winston Churchill
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 03:23:14 AM »

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
-  Theodore Roosevelt

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:53:22 AM »

Nuts

General McAuliffe

Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:57:31 AM »

Veni Vedi Vici

Caesar
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:12:58 AM »

“Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.”

—Winston Churchill

-glenn-
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »

"If you are going through hell, keep going."

Winston Churchill

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »

"Why would we lie to ourselves?" - Theodore Logan (in "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.")

be happy and make others happy.
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »

"I am in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools!  Let's start with typerwriters!"

Frank Loyd Wright
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 05:30:39 PM »

Do not pretend what you do not intend.

unknown

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Sundog
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 09:24:15 PM »

I believe in moderation, as long as there’s a lot of it. – Tim Allen

cool
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 11:00:48 PM »

"The art of accurate observation is often called cynacism by those who do not have it"  George Bernard Shaw
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 11:14:50 PM »

Now what is the message there? The message is that there are no "knowns." There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.

Don Rumsfeld

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 01:49:32 PM »

“Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong - these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
― Winston Churchill
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 09:35:02 AM »

“Liberals are worried that someone, somewhere, is doing something without permission. And they worry that someone is doing something without paying a tax on it.”

—Apparently the first part is Bill Buckley and the second part was amended by Dr. Pournelle.

-glenn-
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."-George Bernard Shaw

"The master accomplishes more and more by doing less and less until finally he accomplishes everything by doing nothing." --Laozi, Tao Te Ching

"Perfection in beekeeping is not found in a multiplicity of appliances, but in simplicity and the elimination of everything not absolutely essential" --Brother Adam, In Search of the Best Bee Strains

My grandpa used to say that every great invention came from a lazy man. One of my favorite authors said something similar:

"Progress doesn't come from early risers - progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." --Robert Heinlein

"It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential."--Bruce Lee

"In general, the simpler the system, the more efficient and the larger the amount of work which can be accomplished in a given time."--Frank Pellet, Practical Queen Rearing

"The bulk of the world’s knowledge is an imaginary construction."--Helen Keller

"It will be readily appreciated that in the course of many years and daily contact with bees, the professional bee-keeper will of necessity gain a knowledge and insight into the mysterious ways of the honeybee, usually denied to the scientist in the laboratory and the amateur in possession of a few colonies. Indeed, a limited practical experience will inevitably lead to views and conclusions, which are often completely at variance to the findings of a wide practical nature. The professional bee-keeper is at all times compelled to assess things realistically and to keep an open mind in regard to every problem he may be confronted with. He is also forced to base his methods of management on concrete results and must sharply differentiate between essentials and inessentials."--Beekeeping at Buckfast Abbey, Brother Adam

"Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."--Bruce Lee

"One does not divine the ways of nature, it lays out methods that confound our science, and it is only by studying it carefully that we may succeed in unveiling some of its mysteries."--Francis Huber, New Observations on Bees Volume II

"The least movement is of importance to all nature. The entire ocean is affected by a pebble." --Blaise Pascal

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth." --Blaise Pascal

"People are usually more convinced by reasons they discovered themselves than by those found by others."--Blaise Pascal

"'Tis with our judgments as our watches, none go just alike, yet each believes his own." --Alexander Pope

"When we wish to correct with advantage and to show another that he errs, we must notice from what side he views the matter, for on that side it is usually true, and admit that truth to him, but reveal to him the side on which it is false. He is satisfied with that, for he sees that he was not mistaken and that he only failed to see all sides. Now, no one is offended at not seeing everything; but one does not like to be mistaken, and that perhaps arises from the fact that man naturally cannot see everything, and that naturally he cannot err in the side he looks at, since the perceptions of our senses are always true." --Blaise Pascal

"There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such trifling investment of fact."--Mark Twain

"All models are wrong, but some are useful" --George E.P. Box

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure." --Helen Keller

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 03:39:15 PM »

"I live in the Managerial Age, in a world of "Admin." The greatest evil
is not now done in those sordid "dens of crime" that Dickens loved to
paint. It is not done even in concentration camps and labour camps. In
those we see its final result. But it is conceived and ordered (moved,
seconded, carried, and minuted) in clean, carpeted, warmed, and
well-lighted offices, by quiet men with white collars and cut
fingernails and smooth-shaven cheeks who do not need to raise their
voice."--C.S. Lewis, Screwtape Letters

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under
robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's
cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated;
but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end
for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." --C.S. Lewis,
God in the Dock

Michael Bush
-------------------
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 04:25:34 PM »

"Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could
write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn
pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and
could never happen. "--Robert Heinlein

"Logic is a feeble reed, friend. "Logic" proved that airplanes can't fly
and that H-bombs won't work and that stones don't fall out of the sky.
Logic is a way of saying that anything which didn't happen yesterday
won't happen tomorrow." -- Robert Heinlein

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why.
Then do it." --Robert Heinlein

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion.
It has long been known that one horse can run faster than another - but
which one? Differences are crucial." --Robert Heinlein

"The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And
vice versa." --Robert Heinlein

Michael Bush
-------------------
Old Blue
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 02:03:12 AM »

All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

It was so cold this morning that I saw a liberal with his hands in his own pockets!

We have to sign the bill to find out whats in it!
Shameless Pelosi

Sorry guys, I don't know who said em, I just remembered them.

Old Blue
Taxed, fined, fee'd, regulated overburdened and beaurocratically screwed out of the pursuit of happiness. In.......
Kali-bone-ya
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:28:16 AM by Old Blue » Logged
Steel Tiger
Field Bee

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 03:47:53 PM »

"Say what again.
 Say what again.
 I dare you.
 I double dare you motherf$%#r.
 Say what one more g@$d#^% time"

~Jules Winnfield~ 1994 Pulp Fiction
Wonga
House Bee

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury refill

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 02:55:02 AM »

"If very hard work was really good for you, the rich folks would keep it all for themselves."  Don't know who said this first.

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes." Oscar Wilde.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa.

As an aside, it seems like Winston Churchill gets quoted a lot more than anything except maybe the Bible.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 08:40:47 AM »

>As an aside, it seems like Winston Churchill gets quoted a lot more than anything except maybe the Bible.

The most quoted English writer is actually Alexander Pope.  Half of the quotes attributed to Ben Franklin, Mark Twain, Shakespeare and even the Bible, actually are paraphrases of Alexander Pope, if not outright quotes...

Michael Bush
-------------------
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 05:33:06 PM »

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.  The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." --C.S. Lewis,
God in the Dock

Do you and I see eye to eye about this Michael?

Is anyone in Boston or DC paying attention?  I doubt it.

After reading the paragraph below SLOWLY re-read the last sentence in its entirety. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_River_War

“ How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property - either as a child, a wife, or a concubine - must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.
  • Thousands become the brave and loyal soldiers of the faith: all know how to die but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of ancient Rome. ”

As written by Lt. (and future Prime Minister) Winston Churchill about his service in the 4th Queen's Own Hussars, the 31st Punjab Regiment, and her Majesties’ 21St Lancers, during his Army service in Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, Egypt, Sudan, South Sudan etc.  as published in “The River War” 1899.

* IMHO there are no “Feminist” who give a hoot about the fate of women under the foot of Mohammedism.  So called “Feminist” today work only for the downfall of this country whether they realize it or not.

I don’t usually quote the Old Testament, I think that the Bible of Moses and the Prophets is much too filled with violence and sexual content than is good for young children and old women.  LOL  But here goes nothing.

They who sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind.  Hosea: chapter 8, verse 7.
Sundog
House Bee

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »

One of my personal pet peeves (I know, who cares?) is misquotes and mutations.  Such as…

History repeats itself”  (Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.)

History neither remembers nor repeats itself. - Sundog

cool
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 12:38:55 PM »

One of my personal pet peeves ... is ... “History repeats itself”  ...
History neither remembers nor repeats itself.

In so far as history is a inanimate object or thing I guess you are correct Sundog. But history is a vast collection of mistakes, forbales, miscalculations, and screwups committed by humans.  Are you saying that humans are becoming more infallible every generation?   If carried far enough this line of logic has all the ingredients needed to create Marx's Dictatorship of the Proletariat.  Because an increase in human awareness is the basis of Marx's and Engal's theories, resulting in a steadily decrease of the powers of central governments until the need for any government withers and blows away like last years leaves.

Now tell us all pray tell how will you or anyone else know when this day arrives without "HISTORY"?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 02:10:54 PM »

He told me he woke with fear in the morning and went to bed with fear in the night. I didn't believe him. I asked him, "How can a man be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave," he said.

Rob Stark
Game of Thrones.

Alexis de Tocqueville
D Semple
House Bee

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »

"An elevator smells different to a midget."

Some short guy
greg755
New Bee

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 07:40:22 PM »

Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder.
George Washington.
greg755
New Bee

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »

"The closest man has ever come to inventing a perpetual motion machine has been the creation of a well run business"
Greg LeGrand
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »

Perpetual motion machines violate the Law of Conservation of Energy; namely excess energy coming from nowhere (or some undisclosed location police).  Einstein related energy to mass.  If something is creating energy out of nothing, then according to Einstein it is also getting bigger and bigger over time via the E=mc*c relationship.  So for a well run business to be like a perpetual motion machine, it has to be getting bigger and BIGGER over time…..kind of sounds like the US Government doesn’t it. grin

Maybe we better stick with KingBees S-T-E-A-M power.  applause
greg755
New Bee

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »

Kind of but we all know the Government does NOT run well...
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 09:31:20 PM »

The earth spins on it's axis. If not by perpetual motion, then how?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
D Semple
House Bee

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 08:09:54 AM »

The earth spins because billions of years ago the dust that formed the earth was spinning.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »

But what kept it spinning if there is no such thing as perpetual motion? Why didn't it slow and stop?

*Shel Silverstein*
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 09:05:37 AM »

Lack of friction. The spin of the Earth is indeed slowing down, due to tides and other effects of the Moon. Even the Moon is slowly getting farther and farther from the Earth, one day it will just wander away to be captured by—or smash into—another planet, or to leave the solar system completely.

“Nothing lasts forever.”

-glenn-
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »

I think I will try holding my breath until it happens. Mr. Semple says it hasn't stopped in billions of years, so just how fast is it slowing. Any time the air isn't perfectly calm, ""moving the same speed as earth", There is friction. Why is there no noticeable effect when a tornado hits a hillside or mountain?

The only reason I can see is, there is perpetual motion. As "man cannot fly", one day we will harness perpetual motion and our energy problems will be solved.

The only problem we will have then is DEMOCRATS.

evil   banana devil   lau   lau

*Shel Silverstein*
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »

While I agree with your cause of our energy problems, air and everything else on the Earth moves at the "same speed as the Earth." There's no friction from the space that surrounds the Earth; that's why it is tides and the Moon that is slowing it down. Physicists have somehow determined this slowdown to be some very small amount each year, but enough of a slowdown that we periodically have leap seconds in our time-keeping system to account for the slowdown. Will this slowdown continue until the Earth stops spinning? Who knows. The Sun will probably have gone supernova before then!

-glenn-
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »

Think about what you just said. As long as the air moves the same speed as the earth, we have total calm. Only when it moves at a different rate do we have wind.

*Shel Silverstein*
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »

That all happens inside the Earth's atmosphere. The friction I referred to is the friction between the atmosphere and the space around the Earth, of which there isn't any. I believe the topmost atmospheric layer is called the exosphere, and it is that outer layer that has no friction with surrounding space, which is a vacuum. The air and wind you are referring to is a phenomenon that happens way at the bottom of the atmospheric layers.

If you spin a ball on a table it only stops spinning due to the friction between it and the air around it and friction from where it touches the table.

I'm winging it here, BTW. I'm no expert with this stuff!

-glenn-
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 01:06:59 PM »

... Einstein related energy to mass.  If something is creating energy out of nothing, then according to Einstein it is also getting bigger and bigger over time via the E=mc*c relationship.  

Blue Blunde ur I mean Blue B.  Are you saying that the more oil or petroleum that BP drills the more gas and petroleum that remains in the Earth to be discovered, drilled, pumped, pipe lined, shipped, refined, sold, and burned? 

With the surge in oil reserves in nations like late strong man Hugo Chavez' Venusalina and current strong man  Barrack Obama's Colossus of the North, it is beginning to look like Einstein was on to something.  The more gas and oil we burn, the more gas and oil it looks like we have.

Thanks for pointing it out old buddy.  lau lau lau
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2013, 02:26:50 PM »

Kind of like with history my friend KingBee, you seem to be missing the underlying principles. huh  You gotta dig deeper KingBee to get to the underlying truths.  applause   

As we’ve already pointed out over and over to the nationhood of deniers, oil and natural gas doesn’t magically recreate itself underground.  All wells eventually peak and then decline.

The energy in oil and gas is not “perpetual energy” created out of nothing and hence it doesn’t get bigger and bigger over time via E = m c*c.  Once again you missed the underlying principle; mass and energy aren’t created from nothingness.  The only thing we see in the Universe today is the transformations between EXISTING mass and energy.

The energy released in your gas guzzling truck engine, (or coal burning STEAM engine?) is the energy captured from sunlight millions of years ago in plants.  See, you support solar energy and Obama and you didn’t even know it. laugh  Buried by eons of time and cooked by pressure, those organics turned into your dino gas.  By burning it, all you’re doing it releasing that old sunlight energy from millions of years ago.  You’re not creating new ‘perpetual energy’. 
greg755
New Bee

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2013, 04:28:54 PM »

The earth spins on it's axis. If not by perpetual motion, then how?

I'll give you a clue... Man did not invent the earth.
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2013, 10:07:10 PM »

People of a certain age can remember when the 6Th element in the periodic table, carbon, flew under the nickname of "The building block of life" It was not known by the Reverent Al Gore's corn pone nickname of "A Watery death to Polar Bears" 

Despite what Gore tells us, there are NOT more Polar bears today going under for the third time.  Today there are more Polar bears alive than at any other time during the last 50 years, maybe longer.  And the last winter or two set records for the MOST sea ice in decades if not centuries.

Unfortunately good news won't sell many carbon credits, Fisker cars, or windmills. Maybe Al Gore should cut his losses and move to Knoxville, Tennessee so he can be closer to his source of cheap, and plentiful, fossil fuel electricity, generated by The Tennessee Valley Authority.   beat a dead horse
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2013, 11:58:27 PM »

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.”  Albert Einstein

“At least try to get one of the three right!”  Blue Bee

kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 05:13:40 AM »

there is perpetual motion... one day we will harness perpetual motion and our energy problems will be solved...

Not to make too much out of it Sir Tar Heel, but every time a space craft in launched into orbit around the Equator the rotation of the Earth slows down just a little, bitty, tinny fraction of a second, because the direction of the rocket launch is from the West to the East and the direction of the Earth's rotation is from the East to the West. 

You know what?  I would like to see the EPA Enviromental Impact Statement on that one.  I bet that the Army's Redstone Missile Command and NASA both failed to file one.  Maybe Ralphy Nader and some of his ilk can file a law suit against the Gooberment accusing them of slowing the rotation of the Earth without filing the proper paperwork.  Then win, lose, or draw Uncle Sugar would be on the hook to pay Ralphy's legal bills for suing the Gooberment.  It's the law don't you know?  Why do you think that every Tree Hugger group in existance is in Federal Court every time they run out of cash or want a new Latti machine. 

Oh My Zeus!!!   shocked You don't think this is what is melting the ice sheets do you?  Longer hours of daylight followed by longer hours of darkness?  th_thumbsupup  Pass the Coppertone please.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2013, 07:16:37 AM »

""Earth's rotation is from the East to the West""

Please explain this. It seems to me that considering the sun rises in the east and sets in the west,that would mean the earth is rotating from west to east.

*Shel Silverstein*
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2013, 09:24:40 AM »

God seems to have been replaced by the belief in various shibboleths extolling the power of corrupt mankind.  The sea ice debate is just one example of the cupidity of Green the new Red. 

How did Otsie get under the glacier?  How come a museum in Scandinavia is filling with artifacts melting out of glacier that date to the 3rd century after the birth of the Christ?  How come Leif Erickssen's barley fields and cow pastures are just now melting out of the glacier?  How did they grow figs in Paris in the forth century?  How come winegrapes grew thruout Britain in the 4th century?

The dark ages were a result more than anything of starving northern barbarians being driven south into the Roman empire by the climate growing colder!  God save us from the Canadians if things haven't reached equilibrium!     

I guess you just gotta BELIEVE that man is causing THIS fluctuation of the climate.   
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2013, 07:55:28 PM »

""Earth's rotation is from the East to the West""

... It seems to me that considering the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, that... the earth is rotating from west to east.

You are correct Oh Sir Tar Heeled One.  I got my fingers tangled up in my keyboard and mind, resulting in typing before I thought it through a second time.  OK then, before I thought it through the FIRST time. embarassed embarassed

However, when a rocket is launched East from Cape Canaveral over the Atlantic Ocean the thrust is still opposite the rotation of the Earth, slowing the Earth's rotation by some small tinny tiny little minute bit. 

look for Al Gore to start in on us to build a huge array of rocket powered pin wheels so that he can speed up the Earth's rotation to suite him like the Earth was a basket ball spinning on the Supreme Globe Trotter's index finger.  Speaking of fingers and Al Gore... Oh never mind, let's not go there.  Ti's best to let fibbing 'profits' 'lie'.

Think about what you just said. As long as the air moves the same speed as the earth, we have total calm. Only when it moves at a different rate do we have wind.

Or when the air moves in a different direction or even fails to move at all.  Although the last may be an impossibility, if the air failed to move and the Earth and the objects on the Earth moved through the dead calm atmosphere at the velocity of the Earth's rotation that would truly be a "super storm" to write home about.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next