Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 23, 2014, 10:26:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Staple guns cause cancer  (Read 1980 times)
gdoten
House Bee

« on: March 07, 2013, 09:09:31 AM »

I'm not sure which forum this should go in, so am putting it here to be safe, since I suspect the answer is political.

I bit the bullet and bought a Porter-Cable compressor and nail gun set. Read this thread a while back:

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,34850.msg288615.html#msg288615

and think I got the same kit that JP pointed out.

Never having used one of these I was reading all the manuals and trying to figure the stuff out, before going crying to my front neighbor who works with this stuff for a living.

I also picked up a blow gun, thinking that would be pretty handy. Then learned that a coupler/plug thingy is needed to attach the blow gun to the hose. If you Google "tru-flate 12-225 plug" the first hit is to Amazon which has a picture of the one I picked up at the local hardware. Although mine is silver and not green.

So being highly bored yesterday (ahem, which is why I was rambling in the sequester thread) I actually read the little cardboard packaging that came with the plug. On the back it says:

Warning: This product contains or produces a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.

Say what now? Is this just Cal. being Cal.? Although even for them I don't see what their reasoning could possible be. My oncologist never told me to "avoid pneumatic tools and equipment" so am having a hard time understanding this. Maybe the text on the packaging was meant for Tru-Flate cigarettes?

-glenn-
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:23:42 AM »

Could be that they are referring to the oil used to lubricate the gun. Not only can it be expelled onto your skin but I imagine a bit gets airborne.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:54:03 AM »

My guess that in the California EPA funny forum that the small amounts of ozone produced by lightening and any electrical motor are the carcinogen.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »

there is nothing in CA that is not examined, regulated, and warned against.  it used to be my state, but it is so unfriendly to business and anyone who actually earns a living, it's not worth being there anymore.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Fox Creek
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 11:06:10 AM »

there is nothing in CA that is not examined, regulated, and warned against.  it used to be my state, but it is so unfriendly to business and anyone who actually earns a living, it's not worth being there anymore.

AMEN !
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 01:55:40 PM »

gdoten
If you have not bought your tru-flate 12-225 plug you should know that there are 2 sizes and they are not interchangable.
Did your staple gun also say it could be a choking hazzard.  Everything needs to be idiot proof now days
fshrgy99
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:58:51 PM »

Did it come wrapped in plastic? If so then perhaps the warning was required for the packaging. BTW What kind of warnings are on the neonicitinoids in California?
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »

If you have not bought your tru-flate 12-225 plug you should know that there are 2 sizes and they are not interchangable.

Danno, if you mean about the ¼" industrial vs. some other kind (non-industrial) I saw the two types at the hardware and remembered seeing "industrial" in the instructions so chose that one and lucked out. Thanks for the heads up though.

-glenn-
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 02:30:31 PM »

... On the back it says:

Warning: This product contains or produces a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm[/font].

Say what now? Is this just Cal. being Cal.? Although even for them I don't see what their reasoning could possible be. My oncologist never told me to "avoid pneumatic tools and equipment" so am having a hard time understanding this. Maybe the text on the packaging was meant for Tru-Flate cigarettes?

Its boiler plate language.

Kalifornia's logic likely runs something like this:

Since 100% of cancer and birth defect victims breath air and all have done so their entire life, (It is a well known fact that smokers inhale their air supply especially deep) then any devise that concentrates (compresses) air causes cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm!!!   Capiece???  huh  shocked

How's bout you West Coast Beeks providing us with more shining examples of Kalifornia speak.
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 03:15:08 PM »

Danno, if you mean about the ¼" industrial vs. some other kind (non-industrial) I saw the two types at the hardware and remembered seeing "industrial" in the instructions so chose that one and lucked out. Thanks for the heads up though.
I'm not sure about industrial or none ind.   They look the same if you dont see them side by side.  One is just slightly longer.   If you havn't got one yet take one off one of your tools and take it to the hardware store.  If you dont there is a 50% change you will grab the right one.
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 04:47:43 PM »

If you are a pneumatic tool virgin go to a REAL auto parts store (NAPA or better) and ask for a male and female model "M" Milton quick connect, quick disconnect fittings.  You will (or should) need a fitting with female threads to fit on your air hose and like you were advised take the tool to be sure you get either a screw in (male) fitting or a screw on (female fitting) to go in or on the staple gun.  If you need to ever buy a replacement fitting model "M" Milton fittings are a long time standard.  And yes you will likely want to get other tools and things like a blow gun, a tire inflater, a sander, an air drill, an air operated grease gun, and the list goes on.  Buy keeping this one part number in mind you make your life a lot easier.

An old time squirt type oil can is nice to quickly lube the air tool up before using it.  A few drops of clean transmission oil in the fitting where the quick connect air fitting snaps on is usually all it takes.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 06:59:34 PM »

You better watch out the wood that you use also.  Plywood has warning labels on it also from the great paranoid state of California. 
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »

I'm not sure about industrial or none ind.   They look the same if you dont see them side by side.  One is just slightly longer.   If you havn't got one yet take one off one of your tools and take it to the hardware store.  If you dont there is a 50% change you will grab the right one.

Guess luck was with me. Seems to be the right length. Thanks.

-glenn-
rbinhood
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 04:29:31 PM »

Be carefull your new compressor and tools could be "oil less" the use of oil could be harmfull.

Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 08:27:37 AM »

Be carefull your new compressor and tools could be "oil less" the use of oil could be harmfull.
I know they make oil less compressors.  I have a pancake oil less but I have never heard of oil less air tools.   
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 08:39:30 AM »

I've got a couple of oil less nailers, just had a senco 1/4" crown stapler give up the ghost after 26yrs. The piston & cylinder sleeve are made out of nylon...no oil needed.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 09:53:56 AM »

If you are a pneumatic tool virgin go to a REAL auto parts store (NAPA or better) and ask for a male and female model "M" Milton quick connect, quick disconnect fittings.  You will (or should) need a fitting with female threads to fit on your air hose and like you were advised take the tool to be sure you get either a screw in (male) fitting or a screw on (female fitting) to go in or on the staple gun.  If you need to ever buy a replacement fitting model "M" Milton fittings are a long time standard.  And yes you will likely want to get other tools and things like a blow gun, a tire inflater, a sander, an air drill, an air operated grease gun, and the list goes on.  Buy keeping this one part number in mind you make your life a lot easier.

A pneumatic tool virgin I am, so to speak. Think I found all the pieces but one. The compressor has what looks to be a Milton Type M quick connect coupler permanently attached to it, actually two to allow two tools at once. I don't think the coupler brand is Milton. The 25' hose that came with it has a male end and another quick connect coupler on the other end. The blow gun has a female threaded end and I found the coupler for that the other day (Tru-Flate not Milton). Got an inflation gun (for the bicycles) and it's different than the blow gun and has a threaded male end. Went looking for a suitable coupler for it at Advanced Auto Parts last night with no luck. Well, they only had a package with a dozen pieces, one of which was the coupler I need but also another inflation gun and air gun and other stuff I won't use.

Didn't even know there were air powered sanders and drills. Going to have to come up with some good excuses to get those past my finance manager. Always did want an impact wrench, but how to justify that to her? Maybe I'll bolt my new hives together.

On a serious note, I want to start assembling the frames today (hopefully) and realized I forgot to get enough staples and brads! I have 80 medium Kelley frames to put together. So what's a good brad/staple size? I'm trying out the Kelley screened bottom board w/beetle trap this year (P/N 57-TA) and one of them was damaged in shipping so I can see what they used. They used 1½" staples to attach the cross pieces on the back of the SBB, and that seems excessive to me. The staple gun came with 1" staples and I thought I could put 4 of those on the top of the frame top bars going down into the side bars, and use the provided 1¼" brads to nail up from the frame bottom bar into the side bars. I can go up to 1½" in the staple gun and  2" in the brad gun. The "samples" provided sure seem long enough to me; maybe I'm just worrying too much about the hardware to use? Oh, and I'll be gluing the frames.

-glenn-
Fox Creek
Field Bee

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 03:25:03 PM »

... On the back it says:

Warning: This product contains or produces a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm[/font].

Its boiler plate language.

Kalifornia's logic likely runs something like this:

Since 100% of cancer and birth defect victims breath air and all have done so their entire life, (It is a well known fact that smokers inhale their air supply especially deep) then any devise that concentrates (compresses) air causes cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm!!!   Capiece???  huh  shocked

How's bout you West Coast Beeks providing us with more shining examples of Kalifornia speak.

Kingbee, Where can I begin? ..Because leftist democrats have been in control at all points of power for several decades, ( less a moderate republican gov. here and there ) the state of Ca. is in total fubar. Heavy taxes on everyone ?, you bet !, out of control spending?, you bet !, Useless leftist restrictions on everything you can imagine ? (From light bulbs to paint and stains) you bet!  Lets not even talk about political correctness, cause if you open your mouth about almost anything, look out!. To top it all off, leftist Gov. Brown got into Sacramento by pulling the race card in the last two weeks of the race.  Leftist should be ashamed of what they have caused, but they are not.
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »

Peoples ideas about staples are like belly buttons, everyones' is different.  I use 18 gauge by one inch long staples for every joint on a frame. 

Two through the side bar into the end of the top bar at each end for four staples total.
Then one staple down through the top bar into each side bar for a total of two more staples.
Then one staple up through the bottom of the bottom bar and into the side bar for a total of two more staples.
That is a total of eight (Cool staples per frame. 

I am so ham fisted that I have trouble using brads, they just don't seem to shoot or drive true for me.

If a compressor has an air storage tank, traveling down stream from the compressor I use a quick connect fitting coming out of the compressor tank, and a male or bayonet fitting on the air hose then another quick connect fitting on the other (far) end of the hose where the tool goes.  That way you can disconnect both the air hose and the air tool without losing air pressure or kicking in the compressor motor, and as long as the hose remains connected to the compressor and the tool is connected to the hose there are no pain in the butt leaf cutter bees or dirt dabbers making a nest in your air hose while it sits idle.  Don't forget to look into an air powered paint sprayer to shoot your hives.  However do remember to park your car far enough away and up wind too so that you won't get overspray on it. grin  PS: it requires more air volume to shoot paint because painting it is a continues process not a wham bam thank you operation like a staple gun or air hammer is. 

There are also air shears and nibblers for cutting sheet metal and hardware cloth, zip guns for chiseling and hammering or scaling old paint, air ratchets and impact tools in every drive size from a quarter of an inch up.  If you have enough air volume and hose a blow gun will do the job of a leaf blower without the irritating whine and noise, there is even an air operated vaccum pump for evacuating air conditioning systems on cars and trucks.   

gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 11:04:30 AM »

Well I've been having a blast (!) with my compressor and guns. Along with the glue, decided to go with a one ⅞" staple one each side of the top bar going down into the side bar, and two 1" brads coming up from the bottom bar into the side bars. I'm also going to try and get a brad into the top of each side bar into the end of the top bar, but there's not much there except the bottom of the "V" in the Kelley Type F frame, but there might be just enough there to get a brad into.

Also now know that Type I/M (sometimes just "IM") is the same as Type M (Milton) is the same as Type I (Industrial). There's a nice chart here:

https://miltonindustries.com/COUPLER-PLUG_ID_CHART.html

but confusingly they don't list Type IM like what is on the Tru-Flate packaging. But it does show the wide assortment of couplers and adapters in use.

Thanks for all the help!

-glenn-
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next