Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 17, 2014, 12:10:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long can you close them in for?  (Read 333 times)
ziffabeek
House Bee

« on: March 05, 2013, 10:25:41 AM »

So, we're having a fence put in and have had to close up the bees for the workers.  Today is the second day of work and they are Late!!  How long can they be closed up before something adverse happens?  they sound so angry!

My stomach is clenching I'm so worried about them!

Thanks,
Love,
ziffa
Vance G
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:47:58 AM »

Do they have lots of ventilation?  I hope they can be shaded from direct sun.  You may have to just tell the  contractor:  I am letting my bees out at 5PM today or they will die! 
ziffabeek
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »

They are on screened bottom boards and it has been overcast and cool here. 

Oh gah.  I'm letting them out as soon as they are done with the part of the fence that's next to them. 

Honestly, I doubt I even needed to close them up as the fence is behind the hives and they have been really docile this spring.

Ugh, time moves so slowly!! Hopefully only a couple of hours more.  Do you really think they'll die?  Oh jeez oh petes!

three winters and I kill them for a fence!

I'm going to go tell them to hurry up!

thanks vance!

love,
ziffa
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »

With a screen bottom, the will be fine for a day or two. Package bees survive for days in smaller quarters.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:11:37 PM »

As usual, Ziffa worries about nothing. The bees will be fine. Take a nerve pill and a nap. It'll make you feel better.   grin

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
ziffabeek
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 01:54:31 PM »

tongue  Can you send me one of those pills! Cheesy.  This has been one of the most nerve-wracking experiences i've ever had!

Thanks iddee.  As usual - you made me feel better.  Smiley

love,
ziffa
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »

If the human workers leave before dark, you can open up and let the bee workers fly for a short time before dark and take their cleansing flights, then close them up after dark again... as long as they don't overheat or starve they probably won't die.  Lack of pollen can get them a bit worked up if there is a lot of brood being reared, so you might do better to feed some...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
ziffabeek
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »

Thanks Michael! 

I made the (brilliantly inspired) move to give the guys small jars of honey yesterday so they are working really hard to finish the back now so I can let the bees out as soon as possible.  When I told them I was worried they said they would hurry so I can let them out Smiley.

Amazing what you can get for a little bit of sweetness!  cheesy

I don't have any pollen to feed, but i know there is heaps of it around, so hopefully they will be able to catch up.  I have some syrup ready to go which I plan to put on top of them as soon as I release them.  I didn't want to have them crossing their legs tight with too much food and not enough flight!

Hopefully this won't set them back too much and they will be ok.  Poor things!  But now they do have a nice wind block behind them and protection from the sidewalk.

Thanks everybody! You've made me feel much calmer.

much love,
ziffa
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next