Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 02, 2014, 02:57:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Sequestered!  (Read 8927 times)
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2013, 02:07:01 PM »

There you go, Kathyp. Ignoring the first rule of the leftists, angering them even further. ""Listening to both sides".
You know how that upsets them.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2013, 02:08:17 PM »

Somehow "see, i go to the rabidly liberal sites to sharpen my arguments" doesn't sound quite like someone trying to understand another person's point of view.

Wow, the condescension never ends. Those of you who are so much smarter than all liberals, do you have no liberals in your life? Nobody you love with an opposing viewpoint? Or is it just liberals on this forum who are so incredibly and "frightfully enlightening" to you?

Do you realize this attitude does nothing to forward your views? That it simply makes you unhearable to the very people you're belittling?

iddee--I'd fully support cleaning up welfare. I still don't know where to find jobs for people in this time of our economy, though. With such a competitive market, those who've been out of the market the longest (possibly abusing welfare) are going to have an extra tough time finding one...

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2013, 03:06:44 PM »

Whether it should be or shouldn't isn't the point. The point is that those seen as impeding passage of funding these jobs, are going to reap the rewards of loosing their seats. ...

Tell your Dad in law that no one is standing in the way of anyones' pay check except for the current President of the United States of America.

As the graph in this accompany link shows Federal pay checks and programs in the next 8 years are set to increase by 1 trillion 200 billion dollars without sequestration and 1 trillion dollars  in the next 8 years with sequestration.  But hey what is 200 billion dollars among friends and family.  With that much pork you would think there would be enough lard to grease everyone in America up like a baked sweet potato.

Mean while.... Obama is planning on destroying in place almost $40,000,000,000 in US military equipment now in Afghanistan, including tanks, armored personell carriers, trucks, artillery, aircraft, and other tax payer owned military hardware and equipment.  The only reason for Obama to do this is he can supply the Taliban with a good selection of destroyed US military equipment to use as a back drop in the public parks and soccer fields where the Taliban go to stone wanton wicked women to death for fun and profit.

Iran Infuriated By Film Of Woman's Stoning

Stoning of women, sharia Islamic law.( Islam and stoning)

How to beat your Muslim wife

How to beat your wife? -Khalid Yasin

I guess we should be thankful to Obama for small favors, he could turn these assets over to the Cubans, Hugo Chavez's successor, or his good friends and allies in the "NATION of the CAUCASIANS, Iran.  This in and of its self is 6 months' worth of cuts.  I'll make Barrack a deal, If he'll give me just half of this 40B, I'll burn my key board. evil
This is the mind set of the greedy among us who wish to continue with the current unsustainable course.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:22:08 PM by kingbee » Logged
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »

"""Wow, the condescension never ends. Those of you who are so much smarter than all liberals, do you have no liberals in your life? Nobody you love with an opposing viewpoint? Or is it just liberals on this forum who are so incredibly and "frightfully enlightening" to you? """

What a coincidence.

Yes, we had one liberal in the family. My mother's sister. She was committed several times, some voluntarily, some non-voluntarily.

Before you jump too high, notice I said it was only a coincidence, although, it is true.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2013, 03:50:53 PM »

Yes, we had one liberal in the family. My mother's sister....

What's the matter iddee, don't you count your tag line author Shel Silverstein, Play Boy Magazine's resident poet laureate and the writer of many of the best known Rock and Roll amthems like "On the Cover of the Rolling Stone," "Sylvia's Mother,"  "Penicillin Penny," or "Freaking at the Freakers Ball" as sufficiently liberal enough for you to mention? grin lau

"Oh we're big rock singers we got golden fingers
and we're loved... every where we go......

we sing about beauty and we sing about truth,
at $10,000 per show..... "
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »

Kingbee, the question said family. NO, I don't think Shel is a relative.

*Shel Silverstein*
bluegrass
House Bee

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2013, 04:11:28 PM »

Diane Rehm and Fresh air. 2 out of 30 something shows is your proof of left leaning.

I really can't comment on Diane Rehm... I haven't ever listened to that show. I change the channel when she comes on because she talks too slow. I assume she had a Stroke at some point in the past.

I really like Story Corp, and I was a faithful listener to Car Talk before they all started to re-run. I also like "wait wait don't tell me" and RadioLab. I listen TED also.

Kathy: your link gives a single show on NPR a leftist lean and that is only a 16.6 point lean from center on a scale of 0-50

On the Obstructionist GOP comments I made previously... I was commenting on what Washington is selling to the public, and I was predicting the results of that sale. So if Dems gain seats in Congress in 2014 we can revisit this topic. No farther proof is needed.

If you look back I gave the proof for my comment about Paul wanting to take more Gov jobs away..So I am unsure where you get off that I make comments without sources? 

However if you want proof that that is what is being sold.
https://bangordailynews.com/2012/05/12/opinion/how-republican-obstructionism-is-killing-congress/
http://crooksandliars.com/jon-perr/republicans-unprecedented-obstructionism-by-numbers
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/opinion/krugman-obstruct-and-exploit.html?_r=0
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/10/unprecedented-congressional-obstructionism-is-actually-quite-precedented/246513/
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/04/1127453/-Republican-Obstructionism-is-mostly-responsible-for-our-economy
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/08/15/polls-show-90-of-americans-are-disgusted-with-congressional-obstructionism/
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002752629
http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/economy-a-budget/276683-right-wing-obstructionism-has-undermined-nlrbs-efforts-to-protect-workers

Happy?

Hey Iddee: I will be in your neck of the woods April 27th-28th. Is the coffee still on?

Sugarbush Bees
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2013, 04:17:42 PM »

Wow, the condescension never ends. Those of you who are so much smarter than all liberals, do you have no liberals in your life? Nobody you love with an opposing viewpoint? Or is it just liberals on this forum who are so incredibly and "frightfully enlightening" to you?

not sure what loved ones who are liberal have to do with it. if i have a liberal loved one, i try to bring them into the light...for the sake of that love.

I still don't know where to find jobs for people in this time of our economy, though. With such a competitive market, those who've been out of the market the longest

we are not talking about tossing people out onto the streets to starve.  keeping the workfare laws would have been a good start.  limiting time on welfare so that people know they have and end date and have to do something would help.  making people work even if they stay on welfare for a period of time would be good.  there are ways to begin to solve the problem and those ways probably don't include advertising for new food stamp applicants and new medicaid applicants.

let me ask you something just as kind of a mind exercise:  if we woke up tomorrow and found a report on Drudge that said "Federal government broke.  No more money for any programs but those listed in the constitution as federal responsibility."  what do you think would happen?  do you think people would starve in the streets?  do you think they would die for lack of medical care?  would children go uneducated?  

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2013, 04:25:16 PM »

Happy?

very...but the next lesson will be in picking sources that are (more of less) neutral  grin  still, the fact that you found loony leftist sites to back up your claim is a very good start!!

i have a question about this obstruction and it's from an earlier post of yours.

The point is that those seen as impeding passage of funding these jobs, are going to reap the rewards of loosing their seats

do you believe that it's the job of the government to fund jobs?  if so, can you explain how this is a net + for the economy/taxpayer?
during the depression, the government did put people to work.  it didn't help end the depression and in fact, may have been a contributing factor in extending it, BUT  out of that we got some public works projects, monuments, people got some job skills....it was not a total loss.
can you point to any of the current government spending that is leaving us anything lasting, or improving the odds of people finding meaningful work in the future?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »

Bluegrass, I'll even fire up a second pot if needed.
Sending you a PM.

*Shel Silverstein*
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2013, 05:00:12 PM »

Diane Rehm and Fresh air. 2 out of 30 something shows is your proof of left leaning.

No, not left leaning, blatantly progressive left. And it sure ain't proof of leaning to the right.

I really like Story Corp, and I was a faithful listener to Car Talk before they all started to re-run. I also like "wait wait don't tell me" and RadioLab. I listen TED also.

I give two examples (out of many available) of political shows that tow the progressive line. And you start talking about game shows and science-oriented shows. Although I will admit that the politically-related questions on Wait Wait are about as fair and balanced in their lambasting of the pols of the day as Jon Stewart's show.

Kathy: your link gives a single show on NPR a leftist lean and that is only a 16.6 point lean from center on a scale of 0-50

I guess we're up to 3½ examples; how many examples would you like?

Or maybe you could point to just a single NPR news or political show that comes anywhere near to the right? Perhaps NPR is just as balanced in their political and news reporting as the D's are in their desire for balanced economic policies.

-glenn-
bluegrass
House Bee

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »

Happy?

very...but the next lesson will be in picking sources that are (more of less) neutral  grin  still, the fact that you found loony leftist sites to back up your claim is a very good start!!

i have a question about this obstruction and it's from an earlier post of yours.

The point is that those seen as impeding passage of funding these jobs, are going to reap the rewards of loosing their seats

do you believe that it's the job of the government to fund jobs?  if so, can you explain how this is a net + for the economy/taxpayer?
during the depression, the government did put people to work.  it didn't help end the depression and in fact, may have been a contributing factor in extending it, BUT  out of that we got some public works projects, monuments, people got some job skills....it was not a total loss.
can you point to any of the current government spending that is leaving us anything lasting, or improving the odds of people finding meaningful work in the future?

My first source was from the Bangor Daily News... A small local paper in the home town of Stephen King. I did not see that on your liberal leaning list Wink

I don't think it is the Job of the Government to fund anything except common Defense. But I am a realist and accept reality for what it is. Over time The federal Government has expanded to a point where it has it's hand in most everything. I also think it is stupid for Government agencies to outsource to private contractors what they are able to do themselves. Yet that happens all the time, especially in the DOD...

I also think we have lost a lot of respect for Country as a population as a whole. I am a strong believer in the service of others. I did my time in the military, I am an RN in my professional career and I am also a Volunteer Firefighter in my home town. I believe as citizens we have a duty to each other and Country. I think that everybody should naturally have the desire to serve the Country and I border on being pro-mandatory service. My college education was partly paid for by the US Tax payer in the form of loans. The rest of it was paid By the Tax payer because of the service I provided. When I got out of the USCG the only thing I was qualified to do was drive a truck and I had no Tax liability to the federal government due to my income bracket. I went back to school and now pay about 19% of my income in federal taxes after deductions. By my calculation that is a pretty good return on the Tax payers investment considering what they paid to educate me vs what they will get out of me in taxes in my working lifetime plus interest on the loans they gave me. So there you have current Government spending that is elevating people into higher tax brackets.

As far as other money being spent that puts people to work... Here in the Northeast we have had a bunch of 50 year old bridges on the interstate highway system replaced. We also have the ongoing replacement of the Tappan Zee bridge which is a 60 year old span Crossing the Hudson at Nyack NY. The Federal dollars involved in that project are a loan to the state of NY though. They spent years looking into retrofitting the current span which is 3 miles long, but there was no reasonable means of re-engineering it to support the much expanded traffic load the bridge currently handles over what it was designed for 60 years ago. So the new span is being built with the capacity to add to it in the future as traffic demand increases.

Sugarbush Bees
bluegrass
House Bee

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »

I guess we're up to 3½ examples; how many examples would you like?

Or maybe you could point to just a single NPR news or political show that comes anywhere near to the right? Perhaps NPR is just as balanced in their political and news reporting as the D's are in their desire for balanced economic policies.

I didn't claim them to be "right" or "left". I think for the most part they are fairly balanced. While we are on the topic of Morning addition they had Jeb Bush on yesterday. I am currently re-listening to it and trying to find the Left leaning reporting in the show... I am not hearing it... it sounds pretty moderate to me... Maybe you can point it out.

Here is the link: http://www.npr.org/2013/03/05/173434603/jeb-bush-legal-residency-not-citizenship-for-illegal-immigrants

Sugarbush Bees
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2013, 05:21:53 PM »

My first source was from the Bangor Daily News... A small local paper in the home town of Stephen King. I did not see that on your liberal leaning list Wink

(1) Bangor, and Maine in general, is almost as far to the left as Massachusetts.
(2) You must not have read any of his books; Stephen King detests R's.

-glenn-
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »

I didn't claim them to be "right" or "left".

Exactly. You just randomly threw them out of left field (so to speak) while the discussion was about how far left NPR is.

So I guess the tally stands at 3½ left, 0 right. Oh yeah, very balanced.

-glenn-
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2013, 05:41:15 PM »

i really don't care how left or not NPR is.  i do care that they get federal dollars.  no "news" organization should be getting federal money. 

the UCLA study only looked at the news shows on any network.  they did not look at entire content of network.  you can look up the original study or the book published.  it all goes into much deeper detail.

we  have our favorite sources of news, but we all need to remember that no source is infallible and no source can help but interject their own ideas.  sometimes it's as subtle as facial expressions or tone of voice. more often it's one little word slipped in, or artful editing. 

regardless of persuasion, we all should look for this stuff.  it's a little like looking for the queen. it's not easy at first, but once you get the hang of spotting bias, it jumps out at you.   they used to teach it in journalism 101, but i don't think they do anymore......

Alexis de Tocqueville
bluegrass
House Bee

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »

I didn't claim them to be "right" or "left".

Exactly. You just randomly threw them out of left field (so to speak) while the discussion was about how far left NPR is.

So I guess the tally stands at 3½ left, 0 right. Oh yeah, very balanced.

Your assumption is completely based on opinion. Kathy links a book which sights a single show on an entire radio network as slightly left leaning. You name two shows which also doesn't prove that they are left leaning... I can say that Micky Mouse is gay... That doesn't make that statement true.

So were do we draw the line... just because *some* shows have a slightly left bent in your opinion or some book writers opinion does not make the entire network leftist... You already acknowledged that the shows I listed are non-biased.

Here is the politics list for programming so far this week: http://www.npr.org/sections/politics/ Tell me what to listen to so i can hear this leftist leaning for my self.

Sugarbush Bees
bluegrass
House Bee

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »

I don't care if NPR and PBS get federal funding or not... that isn't anything that I am going to get my undies in a bind over. I already pay for a XM subscription so I can hear NPR without the pledge drives. What gets my goat is that I pay for TV and Radio and they still bombard me with advertising I don't want to year... I also wish the Disk Jocks would shut up about Octomom and lindsey lohan and play the darn music.

Sugarbush Bees
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2013, 06:22:40 PM »

Your assumption is completely based on opinion.

Uh, there's no assumption involved. What I've written is indeed my opinion, based on many years of listening, and I never said or implied otherwise.

So were do we draw the line... just because *some* shows have a slightly left bent in your opinion or some book writers opinion does not make the entire network leftist... You already acknowledged that the shows I listed are non-biased.

Now you are just putting words in my mouth. I did not say "some shows have a slightly left bent" I said they are "blatantly left progressive". I made no bones about what those shows are.

You brought up King, and were quite wrong about him. King's opinions about R's has nothing to do with NPR. And I don't think King has any issue with NPR being a mouthpiece of the left.

And I in fact indicated that Wait Wait, that you brought up out of the blue, is indeed left-biased in their comedy bits.

Are you even reading what I'm writing? You gotta keep up!

-glenn-
bluegrass
House Bee

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2013, 06:52:58 PM »

Well if you agree it is your opinion and I agree that your opinion is wrong... I guess we don't have a debate.

I didn't make any assumptions on Stephen King's political affiliation. I merely used him as a reference point to Bangor because it isn't known for much else. The political part of my statement was in that the Bangor paper I linked was not in Kathy's citation of left winged media. 

Sugarbush Bees
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next