Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 20, 2014, 09:59:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Sequestered!  (Read 9858 times)
gdoten
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »

There are very few civilian Jobs in this country that are not subsidized by the Federal dollar. I know mine is.

Even the monster that is the Federal budget (if the D's only knew how to create one; talk about irresponsible) spending does not effect anywhere near the total economy as you are leading people to believe. In any event, the Feds spend way too much, and borrow most of it (just one of the latest absurdities is "spend your way out of debt"). And therein you've unwittingly identified what the real problem is. The Feds have no business being in, oh, 90% of what they foist upon us. But until congress starts to follow the constitution we are stuck with massive deficit spending. The D's are hilarious right now (unfortunately because this isn't a laughing matter, but those in power don't give a crap), and I think this is what the typical citizen is taking away from the scare tactics of the left in this little sequester exercise. Even though not one Federal budget item has been reduced by even one penny, the D's are ignoring the wasteful spending (Dr. Pournelle likes to use the example of Federal bunny inspectors) and randomly furloughing people. And all for the sake of playing political games; I swear the country is run by children. And on top of that the prez is the one who created this law and signed it. So while the cute demeaning phrases the left likes to throw around definitely had an impact in the last election, even the typical non-political citizen now sees the lies the left has become. That'll be the take-away for most people and will be what affects their voting in 2014. That, and the fact that the "balanced approach" requires only screwing the taxpayer more, they were only kidding about the spending part. The typical voter now clearly knows that the D's in fact have no intention of a so-called balanced approach. To my mind, they are digging their own grave.

But Mark my words... Republicans are burning their own bridges right now. Obstructionist Republicans is a pretty catchy phrase and while it is doubtful it will win Obama a Super Majority for his last two years... it could, and many of the Republican's are not even smart enough to see it.   
It will not be long and Sequestration will start hitting people in their pockets... and the Republican's are going to be the ones to get the blame.

Nah. The political pendulum will swing back in 2014. It always does. Plus, liar is pretty catchy as well. That, and people actually seeing that cutting $85,000,000,000 really has no impact on the crazy deficit spending the Feds do. You watch, those furlough days will be paid after the fact to all the people who have received letters already, if they even actually come to be. Probably in the summer of 2014.

To my mind, the pols need to (1) create a budget and (2) cut, cut, cut, baby, until the spending < budget. It's really not that difficult. Why must every other government agency in this country--from states to the local wedding registration person--have to follow this very simple dictate but the Feds can pretend money grows on trees?

-glenn-
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 12:09:11 PM »

Then they will take their frustration out of the people standing in the way of them and their Paycheck.

you may be right.  the dems have lied successfully.

i would amend paycheck, to unemployment, welfare, food stamp, etc., payments.  most people earning a private sector paycheck are seeing the effects of this government on their future and security.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Mouse
New Bee

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 02:21:08 PM »

we live in frightening times I think. One of the reasons I'm even keeping bees (although I've always been interested) is because of the way it's getting harder and harder to buy food for our family. I garden, I can, My husband hunts, but it's still hard. We heat with wood. We might heat with wood anyway, but right now we do it just because we cannot afford to buy fuel oil. And I'm just thankful that my husband HAS a job. Two jobs right now. I look at our taxes and think about how much easier it would be if the government would just take say a flat 10% off. I feel terrible for so many of the military families impacted by this. It does seem arbitrary and kind of pointless. surely there are better places to cut spending? Of course better places to cut spending wouldn't stir up general indignation and anger. <sigh>
bluegrass
House Bee

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 02:57:30 PM »

To my mind, the pols need to (1) create a budget and (2) cut, cut, cut, baby, until the spending < budget. It's really not that difficult. Why must every other government agency in this country--from states to the local wedding registration person--have to follow this very simple dictate but the Feds can pretend money grows on trees?

Because for the Fed it does grow on trees... or rather on printing presses. The Fed, without the approval of Congress, can print and release as much money as they want. "Barrow" is kinda a misnomer. We really do not "Barrow" any money. We sell Treasury notes, Bonds, and TIPS which we pay interest on. Congress controls the amount that is sold hence the "Debt Ceiling" But the Fed can still print and release as much money as they like... They also with hold money at times to stay off inflation... Less supply = More demand.

The "Debt" is often traded on Secondary markets just like stocks in a company. The game is to maintain a good credit rating so the people buying and selling these Treasury notes continue to do so, so that we can sell more into the market. If demand on the secondary market dries up, it does on the Primary market as well.

Sugarbush Bees
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »

not only the credit rating, but the perceived value of our money... not really our money, but our economy.  the value of the dollar can be degraded even if the rating stays up, by continuing to print money in a weak economy. 

here's the think that i think is going to go next and i'm starting to hear some of the talking heads worry about it also:  the stock market.  there is no economic reason for it to be up and climbing.  it's up mainly because the fed is pumping, and to some extent, like all bubbles, because people are hoping to cash in before the crash. 

this bubble will pop across sectors because it's not just one single thing inflated.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »

I think we'll all see the bigger picture of this as (if) months roll on. I got to say though, when figuring in the benefits package, I think it unfair to say things like "AVERAGE EMPLOYEE" when the top scale WS jobs (WS 12-15) are a massive number of people at all ends of the Federal Government, and the WG(wage Grade) such as me and countless others are a pawn to that $130K statistic. At most active military installations, the Blue Collar are WG 3-11, maxing out at around $31 an hour.

My point, Wage Grades have 5 steps up the ladder they get through longevity, where the much higher paid GS white collars have 10 steps, again think of it as longevity pay. Without overtime and all being equal the GS maxes out around $50K a year more than the WG scale maxes out. As always in government, the more physical your job is, the less you are getting paid. And any installation cannot function without a strong blue collar presence from pipe fitters, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, boiler men, sewage treatment and water management, riggers and so many other titles.

Get off of military facilities and into the bloated Pentagon and other brick and mortar departments with a thousand GS12 and above, all maxed out ar step 10, well... the CURVE is HIGHLY distorted and top heavy.

it's easy to say also to include the part of the benefits paid by the Feds, but no one seems to mention that an employees making a base of $42K a year is dishing out 500 a pay period for THEIR share of benefits, so 14% or so percent out of your pay for those benefits ( and frankly most of the health care plans in the government are no where near a free ride, you still have sizable copays of doctors and meds.

My job is competitive in my area, better put Civilians are making about the same in my area as I do. Jobs are scarce, but competitive in pay.

So, the ax hasn't come down yet, but no matter how you look at it, we will be getting 20% less pay, and reduced EARNED benefits like sick-leave and annual-leave. Both are based on 40/80 time periods, not the 32/64 hour weeks we will now be working. It takes 4 weeks to earn 1 sick say (160 hours) but since our hours are to be cut back, it will take 5 weeks to earn 1 sick day, and annual time gets reduced much more.

I agree the Fed is bloated, what I think everyone should fear is where the cutting will be and how that effects all of us - Fed employees pay Fed tax too you know.

When service that people take for granted or depend on are shut down, and we've all heard how far this could stretch, the best we can hope for is a surgical cut to reduce expenses, not run the the government with a chain saw blind folded.

This President wants to take everything EVERYONE makes and, like a shared tip jar at a restaurant, divvy out the jar equally to all from busboy, to bartender to servers, no matter who earned the most. This equaltarian regime where everyone (not just the 47%ers) will get their even piece of the pie and look for the government to hand them their chunk, whether they earned none or much more that anyone else. Sadly, he's creating a country where for the first time, children will not have more opportunities than their parents.

The biggest threat to our country's future lives and works around Capitol Hill, We are STALLED and rather than putting fuel into an empty tank to get it started, we're just going to sit here and wait for evolution to put sails on the car so it will restart.

Just remember, as this Sequestration develops, everyone will be effected, from the poorly un-inspected meats you buy, to finding a place that can watch your kids while you work to afford someone to watch your kids so you can work - it is a vicious cycle that will involve us all directly eventually.

Last though, take away all the zeros and when you compare 85(B) to 1.5(T) it is the same as saying "Okay we have 1500 dollars in debt we want to get rid off, so out of the 1500, we cut 85 dollars in DOD costs. 85 out of 1500, it isn't even enough to to see a blip in the big picture.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
bluegrass
House Bee

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 06:03:26 AM »

Lets not forget that this was all put together 2 years ago by a bipartisan panel because the full Congress could not come to agreement on spending.

I am not sure why it is such a big deal to expect them to do their jobs. But in my opinion you either want them to cut spending or you don't. You can't go around demanding they cut spending and then flip once it hits your pocket and say that what they cut was so minuscule that they should not have cut it at all. Cuts have got to start somewhere and Defense is by far are largest expenditure. It doesn't matter where you start making cuts, it is going to put people out of work... that is the bottom line.

And the majority of the people in the Pentagon who are in top level positions got there through years of hard work... they are also active duty service people and we have a responsibility to deliver on what they were promised for their service. 

Sugarbush Bees
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 08:14:16 AM »

Blue, please explain why the working stiff gets a 20% cut from an overall 2% cut, and they still give hundreds of millions in free handouts to places like Egypt. Is that what the dems call balanced?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 12:05:54 PM »

Cuts have got to start somewhere and Defense is by far are largest expenditure.

not so.  entitlements are the biggest expense.  they are exempt from these cuts.  + the military already took a big cut.  not to say that DOD doesn't have waste, but  the waste is not being addressed in these cuts.  + they want to put the worst face on this to stir up the public.  today the announced a bunch of training cuts for military.

i am watching people like Duncan and Napolitano get on TV and just lie through their teeth.  didn't old janet think that someone might check out her claims of airport delays?  what an inept crew!

so....why are we having a hissy fit over 2% of THE RATE OF INCREASE, not even real spending, being cut?  even though we are cutting this small amount out of a small part of government spending, it says something that we have a meltdown over 2%. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »

Lets not forget that this was all put together 2 years ago by a bipartisan panel because the full Congress could not come to agreement on spending.

forgot...

this is true.  however, the sequester conversation was not about raising taxes, it was about addressing spending.  specifically, entitlement spending, which everyone knows needs to be addressed, but no one wants to touch.

the president threw tack on the track when he insisted on adding more taxes than those he got a couple of months ago, and the senate refused to 1. pass a budget and 2. address entitlements. 

in the last budget fuss, the president insisted on raising the tax rate.  he chose that over closing "loop holes".    he then when out and bragged about how he'd forced the republicans to capitulate. now he wants to go back and have the loop hole changes too.  sorry, that ship is out of the harbor. 

he might want to take some leadership classes.  he doesn't quite seem to have the knack for it.

Alexis de Tocqueville
bluegrass
House Bee

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »

Blue, please explain why the working stiff gets a 20% cut from an overall 2% cut, and they still give hundreds of millions in free handouts to places like Egypt. Is that what the dems call balanced?

Because it is Politics. Look at the people who are obstructing right now... They are largely the fringes of the Republican Party like Rand Paul... People who the Establishment (on both sides) want out of Washington... Where do they come from? Rural areas all across the Country, mostly area's that have large Military instillation like Ft Campbell. Ft Campbell has 8000 civilians on furlough... Put up something that you know these people will attempt to block, and make the outcome so that the voting public in their own districts bear the brunt. And... you clean house.

Sugarbush Bees
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »

... My Father in law is sequestered too... he only loses one day a month though. ....

Well Blue Grass, your Dad-in-law should be happy that he is enabling Obama to hire even more government employees by dipping into your father in law's sequestered pay check plus the increased payroll and income taxes that Obama insisted that your father in law begin paying at the first of the year.  Its called, "Spreading your father in law's wealth around."
President Obama Holds a Cabinet Meeting

Notice that Obama mentions entitlement reform in his March Cabinet meeting speech.  What the heck dose your father in law think that Obama is using the sequestration process for except to reform what you father in law is entitled to even while Obama hires ever more government workers to share in your father in law's ever shrinking piece of the pie?
See the link below.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/4/feds-keep-hiring-with-sequesters-in-place/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 05:12:12 PM »

Because it is Politics. Look at the people who are obstructing right now

again...please give some examples of obstruction?

They are largely the fringes of the Republican Party like Rand Paul... People who the Establishment (on both sides) want out of Washington..

nope.  in fact, many of us hope they are the future of the party rather than the milk toast, deal making, idiots that now hold so many offices.

but, that brings up another point:  you consider someone like rand paul a fringe politician, but i never hear you comment on people like harry reid or nancy pelosi.  they are truly fringe and you don't get more obstructionist than reid and pelosi is one nasty piece of work, yet only republicans are supposed to make compromise?

Alexis de Tocqueville
Fox Creek
Field Bee

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 05:37:44 PM »

Because it is Politics. Look at the people who are obstructing right now... They are largely the fringes of the Republican Party like Rand Paul... People who the Establishment (on both sides) want out of Washington... Where do they come from? Rural areas all across the Country, mostly area's that have large Military instillation like Ft Campbell. Ft Campbell has 8000 civilians on furlough... Put up something that you know these people will attempt to block, and make the outcome so that the voting public in their own districts bear the brunt. And... you clean house.

I would like you to tell me something Rand Paul actually said, that makes him, " fringe."
bluegrass
House Bee

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 06:28:38 PM »

I am not even going to divert into a Paul debate. If you don't see him as fringe nothing I present is going to change your mind.

I would also consider Pelosi "fringe".

Harry Reid not so much. His politics are pretty close to in line with Gov Mitt Romney's on many things.  He is also a Mormon. He is anti-Roe V Wade which is why he supports funding contraception... he thinks doing so reduces abortions. And for a Democrat he is pretty Pro 2nd Amendment. He has even threatened to prevent an AWB from going to a vote in the Senate.

Sugarbush Bees
Fox Creek
Field Bee

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 06:33:31 PM »

I am not even going to divert into a Paul debate. If you don't see him as fringe nothing I present is going to change your mind.

I would also consider Pelosi "fringe".

Harry Reid not so much. His politics are pretty close to in line with Gov Mitt Romney's on many things.  He is also a Mormon. He is anti-Roe V Wade which is why he supports funding contraception... he thinks doing so reduces abortions. And for a Democrat he is pretty Pro 2nd Amendment. He has even threatened to prevent an AWB from going to a vote in the Senate.

Can you please tell me something Rand Paul actually said, that is fringe?
bluegrass
House Bee

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »

Nope, because this thread isn't about Rand Raul and we don't need to go there... But having had the opportunity to vote for him for Senate... I didn't...

If you want to start a new thread about him I will happily follow you down that path grin

Sugarbush Bees
Fox Creek
Field Bee

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »

Nope, because this thread isn't about Rand Raul and we don't need to go there... But having had the opportunity to vote for him for Senate... I didn't...

If you want to start a new thread about him I will happily follow you down that path grin

Blue,... come on now.....you brought him up!......
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 07:59:45 PM »

bluegrass doesn't like to answer questions.  he needs http://lmgtfy.com/   Kiss

Alexis de Tocqueville
bluegrass
House Bee

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 08:01:14 AM »

I am only only one person responding to basically hoards of extremists grin So I have to be selective about what I answer or I end up with 10 different people expecting me to respond to everything they all say.

Lets not forget Kathy that a few short month ago everything you said about the Election and what the results would be was completely wrong... And you heard it from Me and Bluebee first  tongue

Sugarbush Bees
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next