Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 27, 2014, 05:58:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to super swarm?  (Read 385 times)
Rob Sandberg
New Bee

« on: March 02, 2013, 09:33:29 PM »

First year with bees. I caught and placed a swarm on October 22' I know it was late in the year , but figured if they were not going to make ,why not in my backyard?  I place one frame of honey and fed them 2 to 1 sugar for 6 days.  I left them alone and today I finally looked at the girls.  I found bees everywhere, inside telescoping cover, both side of inner cover and frame tops were covered. I found 9 3/4 frames drawn and covered with bees. 2 3/4  frames of honey  / pollen remain 7 brood,capped and uncapped. Should I give them a super ? Or can I order a queen and attempt a split.  I found no swarm cells, but a whole bunch of drone cells. Is it okay to remove entrance reducer ? Weather here mid 40's at night.
The swarm when placed was about the size of 1 1/2 softballs. Thanks in advance for your time.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:22:18 PM »

you don't want that one to swarm.  if your temps are above freezing, i'd give them a deep.  that queen has gone to town and you want her to keep at it.  also, feed.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:19:40 PM »

I would agree with Kathyp, give more room and feed.  You didn't say what size brood box they were in.  But give them a deep brood on what they have, and latter a super.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 07:32:54 AM »

Amazing luck to catch a late swarm and have it not only survive but apparently thrive.  Too Cool  cool.

I certainly agree.  If there is no forage available yet, start feeding TODAY  Smiley

Spring (the first few dandelions) is when I like to begin KYBO (Keeping Your Broodnests Open) upon the first major inspection and clean up, by inserting empty frames between drawn, start adding supers and generally spreading the broodnest out as the colony expands, to inhibit swarming by giving them something else to do......make honey.

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next