Started with my two Nucs almost 4 weeks ago...Everything seems to be going really well and all indications are we may be in for an early spring here is South Louisiana.
I've decided it's time to move the girls out of their 6 frame Nucs and into my 8 frame hive boxes, I plan on doing this tomorrow or Saturday, since they look like the best weather options in the current 10 day forecast. As a newbie, I have a game plan, but of course, it's filled with much doubt and no experience. :)
Therefore, I wanted to throw it out and get some opinions:
Friday's forecast is a high of 70°/ Low of 47°, 20% chance of rain. Saturday is 66°/57° 10%. I'm assuming either of those are OK, I prefer tomorrow because it gives me Saturday as a fall back day in case tomorrow's forecast is off.
I have made ventilated inner covers, like these from Honey Run Apiaries
Do I keep the top entrance blocked off for now or not? If so, how long? It's a two inch entrance.
Currently my Nucs have a 2" entrance, I have entrance reducers with 2" or 4" opening...which should I use for now? When do I increase and/or remove it?
Also, currently...I'm doing open feeding about 15' in front of the two Nucs. I plan on switching to feeding via the inner cover, protected by an empty hive box and top cover. Can I pull the open feeder immediately, or should I leave it also for a while?
I also plan on having the insulation in place blocking the vents of the inner cover until I'm sure we're done with the cold snaps, although I'm not sure if that's necessary or not here in Louisiana.
Also, for whatever it's worth, I'm waffling between screen or solid bottom boards, therefore I"m going with one screened with a pan for oil and one solid.
Any and all input and opinions appreciated. :)