The tribal wisdom of the Dakota Indians , passed on from one generation to the next , says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse , the best strategy is to dismount.
However in modern business and government , because of the heavy investment factors to be taken into consideration , often other strategies have to be tried with dead horses , including the following :
1. Buying a stronger whip .
2. Changing riders .
3. Threatening the horse with termination .
4. Appointing a commitee to study the horse .
5. Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses .
6. Lowering the standards so that dead horses can be included .
7. Appointing an intervention team to reanimate the dead horse .
8. Creating a training session to increase the riders share .
9. Reclassifying the dead horse as " living impaired " .
10. Change the form so it says 'This horse is not dead " .
11. Hire outside contractors to ride the dead horse .
12. Harness several dead horses together for increased speed .
13. Donate the dead horse to a recognized charity , thereby deducting its full and original cost .
14. Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performing .
15. Do a time management study to see if lighter riders would improve productivity .
16. Purchase an after-market product to make dead horse run faster .
17. Declare that the dead horse has lower overhead and thereby performs better .
18. Form a quality focus group to find profitable uses for dead horses .
19. Rewrite the expected performance requirements for horses.
20. Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position .