Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 24, 2014, 05:34:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drones  (Read 233 times)
Suncat
New Bee

« on: April 06, 2014, 11:45:59 PM »

I was having a quick look at my hives today, just an external look to see that all is ok, (I am planning to rob honey tomorrow) and to check on the SHB traps that I have under the screened bottom boards.  It was about 12:30, and I noticed quite a number of larger bees (10-15), I can only assume these are drones as they were nearly twice the size of the workers, and made a very different sound when flying.

I cant be 100% sure, but it appeared like they would fly into 1 hive, spend 10-20 seconds in there and then fly out and visit one of the other 3 hives that I have.  The workers did not seem to be worried about them, and continued about their jobs.

Is this normal?

Here in SE Qld we have had recent rains and the bees seem to be busy, returning with pollen (and i assume nectar, little harder to see that  Smiley )

Thanks for any assistance that you can give.

John
sawdstmakr
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 11:57:32 AM »

Sounds like drones to me. They can go in any hive that thinks it is strong enough. In another month or so, I would bet they will be hard to find in your area. The bees kick them out in preps for winter. Look at their eyes. They are bigger and the touch together. By the way they do not have stingers. If they just came out of the hive they are good to eat. They taste like honey butter.
Jim
Spear
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:29:38 PM »

Ok... I've never thought of eating a drone... but I think I finally understand why my mothers dogs are so keen on catching and eating our bees... LOL
sawdstmakr
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 10:18:30 PM »

I used to just put them in my mouth when I had a bunch of kids watching us remove bees from a house. I would open my mouth and show it was on my tongue. Then spit them out. Then one day while helping a friend show a new beek the ropes, I did it and then spit it out. A few minutes later he says, tastes like butter. I looked at him and said what tastes like butter. He repeated it and then after we looked at him strangely, he says" You didn't eat it?". I had to try it and he was right. If you get one on the way back into the hive they are dry and tasteless. When they are ready to leave, they have a full belly of honey.
Try it, you will like it.  grin
Jim
Spear
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 04:19:30 PM »

Maybe next time I go through my hives I'll catch a few drones and cover them in chocolate and sell them with the honey... who knows people might just love them and I could start raising drones to keep up with demand! LOL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next