Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 30, 2014, 09:02:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New BK question-help needed  (Read 288 times)
paulsnapp
New Bee

« on: August 18, 2014, 12:13:10 PM »

I have two hives started from packages in April.  Made full inspections yesterday.  One has has all brood in bottom deep super and has honey only in second deep super.  About 45 pounds of honey.  My second hive has brood in both deep supers.  Twice as many bees.  Their honey is all but gone, maybe 8 to 10 pounds.  We are in a dearth here in Georgia.  Should I feed this second hive with sugar syrup?  If so, should it be 1:1 or 2:1?  I have read that if you begin 2:1 that the first feeding should contain Fumagillin.  Is it too early to provide Fumagillin or should I wait till later on in the fall for that?  Thanks for your help!
rookie2531
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:59:15 PM »

I'm a first year beek, so I can't give you any great advise, but I installed a package and never did stop feeding. The guy I bought it from said to keep feeding first year. Makes sense to me as I hear others say don't feed, feed only when necessary and after thinking, if I feed while flows are going on then the so called syrup that isn't the healthiest is mixed with the healthy honey which to me is better than eating healthy for a while then totally unhealthy later. Did you see larva in both hives? How many times have you inspected? The light package may have super ceded and swarmed on you and something bad may have happened to the new one. I haven't used any chems yet, so no opinion there. If you are in dearth and have a small colony, watch for robbing, maybe close up the entrance to 3 inches. Also, many others may read your post if you title it better. Most post are questions that need help with so putting a title on it will probably get you better help from someone that has experienced the same thing. Just a suggestion.
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »

June was my first year mark. Here's what I've started doing about feeding. I built me an inner cover with a hole in the middle. Some of the holes are made for a perfect fit for a quart jar of sugar syrup, some aren't. I put a screen wire over the hole and punch holes in the jar lid. Then I turned the jar upside down and put it on the screen. I also put an empty super box over it, then the top lid. I have made the terrible mistake of entrance feeding. Robbing out the yang yang. Fighting, dead bees, and maybe queens killed. Doing it like I described really cuts down on that.

On the chems, some of the advice I got from here and followed has worked for me. The advice was; "If they ain't sick - don't treat them". Like I say, it's worked for me so far. You tube - Fat bee man said; Have you ever been medicated? You don't feel like doing nothing do you?
Bees are the same way he said.

Good luck and ask tons of questions, there's some good folks on here with some excellent advice.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
10framer
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »

there is no need to medicate bees that aren't sick.  the dearth is over down here and the fall flows are starting.  i'd estimate that i'm 2-1/2 hours south of you but it's been a long time since i've been to flowery branch.  if you're only running two hives i'd take a couple of frames of honey from one hive and swap it for a couple of frames of brood  from the other for now.  if you decide to feed do it right at dark to avoid robbing.
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 12:52:29 PM »

there is no need to medicate bees that aren't sick.  the dearth is over down here and the fall flows are starting.  i'd estimate that i'm 2-1/2 hours south of you but it's been a long time since i've been to flowery branch.  if you're only running two hives i'd take a couple of frames of honey from one hive and swap it for a couple of frames of brood  from the other for now.  if you decide to feed do it right at dark to avoid robbing.

Best advice so far.
Accomplishes 2 tasks at the same time. Feeds the hive light on stores and gives a boost to the weaker hive population wise.
I would swap 2 frames of capped brood(shake all the bees off) for 2 frames of honey. Just be sure to keep brood all together. You dont want to create a break in the brood box.
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:51:58 PM »

When you go to shaking, make sure you know where the host queen is - like on a frame still in the box you just pulled from.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
dsegrest
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »

In the piedmont NC we normally feed light sugar water until late Oct or early Nov.  Then we switch to 2:1.  My bees last year did not like the 2:1.  They ran away from home.  Had to start over.  I don't know that the 2:1 syrup was the problem, but if they don't take it this winter, I will find an alternative.
Dallasbeek
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »

In the piedmont NC we normally feed light sugar water until late Oct or early Nov.  Then we switch to 2:1.  My bees last year did not like the 2:1.  They ran away from home.  Had to start over.  I don't know that the 2:1 syrup was the problem, but if they don't take it this winter, I will find an alternative.

Try mixing in a couple of drops of vanilla extract or a crushed peppermint candy to your syrup and see how they take that.  Some old-timers swear by it.  I'm still a learner, but I'll take their word for it.  I've mixed a little of my own honey in the syrup and the bees loved it, but don't ever use honey you're not absolutely certain of.
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 09:05:29 PM »

Sounds like A plan. You get one hive feed (and can always feed later if needed) and a supplement of bees to the other th_thumbsupup Wish I got a fall flow of any proportion Sad

John 3:16
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next