Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How much space  (Read 916 times)

Offline biggraham610

• House Bee
Re: How much space
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »
>Mr Bush I am referring to the bottom of the frame to the top of the bottom board.

That's what you said the first time, and it's still ambiguous.  The top of the frame around the bottom board?  The bottom of the hive (the floor)?  I'll just go from top to bottom.  Cover's vary, but the frames set on a frame rabbet that is 5/8" deep.  The frames are 3/8" deep on the ends which leaves 1/4" space between the top of the frames and the top of the box.  This leaves the bottom bar 1/8" up from the bottom of the box.  If you use a reversible bottom board with the skinny side up you will have between 3/8" and 1/2" (varies by manufacturer) from the floor to the bottom edge of the box which is between 1/2" and 5/8" from the floor to the bottom bars.  If you flip it over, you have a 3/4" rail and you get 7/8" from the floor to the bottom bar of the frames or 3/4" to the bottom edge of the bottom box.

Michael, do you see any problems with using the 3/4" rail as a rule? I have all my hives set up that way and am planning on building a bunch of bottoms that are based on 3/4" only. It makes it much easier for me as far as reducing entrances so forth and so on. There is always scraps of 3/4" laying around. Just wondering the pros and cons. Thanks. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 12:49:33 PM »
>Michael, do you see any problems with using the 3/4" rail as a rule? I have all my hives set up that way and am planning on building a bunch of bottoms that are based on 3/4" only. It makes it much easier for me as far as reducing entrances so forth and so on. There is always scraps of 3/4" laying around. Just wondering the pros and cons.

All of mine are 3/4".  It lets the mice in more easily, (if you have a bottom entrance, which I don't) but 3/8" won't stop them unless you make some kind of baffle and that works better in a 3/4" opening.  The one that is popular around here is a 4" x 14 3/4" (for a ten frame) x 3/8" plywood piece with three 4" long 3/8" thick laths nailed at each end and in the middle.  This is slid in the opening to reduce it to 3/8" tall.  The mice don't seem to want to crawl the whole 4" at 3/8" tall.  My bottom entrances are all closed off completely.  Dave Eyre points out that the wax moths seem to sneak in more easily with the 3/4" opening.
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen

Offline biggraham610

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »
>Michael, do you see any problems with using the 3/4" rail as a rule? I have all my hives set up that way and am planning on building a bunch of bottoms that are based on 3/4" only. It makes it much easier for me as far as reducing entrances so forth and so on. There is always scraps of 3/4" laying around. Just wondering the pros and cons.

All of mine are 3/4".  It lets the mice in more easily, (if you have a bottom entrance, which I don't) but 3/8" won't stop them unless you make some kind of baffle and that works better in a 3/4" opening.  The one that is popular around here is a 4" x 14 3/4" (for a ten frame) x 3/8" plywood piece with three 4" long 3/8" thick laths nailed at each end and in the middle.  This is slid in the opening to reduce it to 3/8" tall.  The mice don't seem to want to crawl the whole 4" at 3/8" tall.  My bottom entrances are all closed off completely.  Dave Eyre points out that the wax moths seem to sneak in more easily with the 3/4" opening.

Makes sense. Thanks. G  :chop:
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »
All of mine are 3/4".  It lets the mice in more easily, (if you have a bottom entrance, which I don't) but 3/8" won't stop them unless you make some kind of baffle and that works better in a 3/4" opening.  ......  The mice don't seem to want to crawl the whole 4" at 3/8" tall.  My bottom entrances are all closed off completely.  Dave Eyre points out that the wax moths seem to sneak in more easily with the 3/4" opening.

All of my entrances are 9mm high (3/8") and I find it hard to believe a mouse could really squeeze through a 9mm gap.  I've never seen it, but I'll admit my entrances are more like a tunnel as Michael describes.  Mine are 9mm tall by about 70mm deep (2.5").  No way a mouse is going to squeeze though that narrow of a gap for 2.5"!  I agree about the wax moths.  With an entrance that is just 9mm high, the guard bees just line up in a long row and there aren't any gaps above them for a wax moth to squeeze by.  If you've ever watched those dang moths, you know they look for the gap above the bees to go scooting into a hive.