Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 05:06:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okay, you engineers, scientists and smart ones out there, explain this one!  (Read 781 times)
Jim 134
Super Bee

« on: January 07, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »

Your science lesson for today.
I am sending this to my very smart friends knowing someone will provide an answer...!
Frozen Water Bottle
Molecular Levels
Okay, you engineers, scientists and smart ones out there, explain this one!
The frozen water bottle.
Folks, this is really interesting.
Don't know why this happens.....Do you??
Click Below:

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=50683

http://youtu.be/O47-QOWRTrk

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  Smiley 

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
edward
Queen Bee

FEED ME HONEY or I`ll smash your screen !

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:00:51 PM »

This happened to my grandfather on my mothers side with beer bottles when he opened them that he had stored outside on the balcony grin

There is also an urban legend that the drunkards that drank outdoors in the winter could loose there voice because the beer froze to knife sharp crystals and tore up there voice box and throat:-D rolleyes

mvh edward  tongue

PS  angel Granddad  angel had a wonderful voice and sang in the church quire  grin
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »

That is pretty neat. Similar to when you microwave water and it does not boil and then when you go to pick it up it explodes in your hand as it turns to steam.
Jim
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:05:29 PM »

What's happening here is that the water in the bottles which did not freeze overnight was "supercooled." Water normally freezes when it is cooled below 0 degrees Celsius, forming ice crystals. Ice crystals form more easily when they grow on existing ice crystals -- the water molecules like to pack themselves in place on a crystal that's already gotten started. It doesn't take much to start the crystallization process going -- a little piece of dust or other impurity in the water, or even a scratch on the bottle are sometimes all it takes to get ice crystals growing. The process of starting off a crystal is called "nucleation."

In the absence of impurities in the water and imperfections in the bottle, the water can get "stuck" in its liquid state as it cools off, even below its freezing point. We say this supercooled state is "metastable." The water will stay liquid until something comes along to nucleate crystal growth. A speck of dust, or a flake of frost from the screw-cap falling into the bottle are enough to get the freezing going, and the crystals will build on each other and spread through the water in the bottle.

Water releases 80 calories per gram when turning from a liquid to a solid. We suspect your freezer is only a few degrees Celsius below zero(perhaps ten or fifteen?), and the specific heat of water is one calorie per degree per gram. This means that your water, as it freezes, warms up the rest of the water until the process stops at 0 degrees Celsius, freezing perhaps ten or twenty percent of the water. This ice may be distributed throughout the bottle, though, as the crystallization process happens very quickly and heat flows slowly.
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:26:34 AM »

edward......
beer
http://youtu.be/jpr-gYAo5Y8
Coke
http://youtu.be/ngt74e1DxPU

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »

This is a perfect example of why the Heat Index and the Wind Chill Index are both a flawed way to express relative temperatures.

Lets start with the Win Chill Index.  Heat is a positive, heat exists.  Cold is nothing more than the absence of heat.  Therefore there is a limit to how cold a substance can become, but heat has no upper limits, we just call mega heat plasma and treat it like a different element.

The water in the clear bottle can not be much chilled by (lose heat to) the air because the water has no contact with the atmosphere.  Now factor in the presence of Sun light and the ability of the bottle to limit heat exchange between the water and the air and you will begin to understand.  Since the water is super chilled, the small amount of heat loss occurring between the water and the bottle when the water is shaken will start the freezing process.  I am sure all of you have seen this even on hot days when a can of cold Coca-Cola is popped open but you find the first sip frozen.  This is also why you may have noticed that hot or warm water freezes faster than cold water when you dash a pot of it on your frost covered windshield.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:24:28 PM by kingbee » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next