Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 28, 2014, 08:55:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: joining boards  (Read 2861 times)
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »

Yes Jim, it is a dedicated little box for a middle entrance.  I need an entrance above the ground to keep the skunks from destroying my hives.  So the easy options are a middle entrance or a top entrance.  Personally I donít like top entrances in the summer because as soon as I remove their entrance, there is a huge swarm of confused bees flying all around me.  That un-nerves me a little, so I like a fixed entrance that doesnít have to move....like the bees expect in their natural habitat (ie trees). 

The little mid entrance box is also used for drone culling for varorra using little 2.25Ē foundationless bars.  I believe this also allows the queen to find as many drone cells as she wants without wondering into the supers.  The extra space is also useful when compacting the hives down to a single box for winter.     

The downside of this little box is itís another piece of equipment.  Iím not totally sold on using it forever, but so far it has served itís purpose.
rwurster
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »

I have made several boxes out of recycled wood and just butted everything together with titebond 3 and had no problems.  You are still making a box which helps reinforce the joints.  All my migratory tops, bottoms etc. are butted together also with no problems over the past few years.  A good coat of primer and paint seals the deal.  A side note, I stagger the joints so that they don't line up when I'm making boxes/nucs.

Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link
capt44
Field Bee

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »

For joining boards finger joints or rabbit joints work good.
I use the gorilla wood glue with excellent results and using wood clamps.

Richard Vardaman (capt44)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next