Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 17, 2014, 05:48:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A lesson in unemployment benefits  (Read 683 times)
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« on: December 28, 2012, 02:47:16 PM »

Have had many discussions with the Danish side of the family in for Christmas, as to what is happening here and abroad.

It seems many here in the states keep mentioning how we should be more like the Europeans. So I pass this along for your consideration.

Years ago in Denmark, the unemployment period for those losing their jobs was up to four years. That is 4 years of getting 90% of pay of the last job held. That is nice.

Then a few year back, they lowered that to 3 years. Then 2 years. And as of today, the unemployment benefit period is down to 18 months. But why are they lowering the unemployment benefits? Why not stay at 4 years?

At four years of 90% of your last job held, what they found was this. About 10% would find a new job in the first month or two of being unemployed. Then almost none found jobs for the next three years. Then within a few months of the 4 year period running out, almost everyone else found a job. It was a miracle!

So they lowered the rate to 3 years. Same thing happened. Some found a job right away, and most waited till right before their benefits ran out, then went back to work.

They lowered it to 2 years. And now the period for unemployment is 18 months. And some say that is too long.

Yes they have programs that can extend that for those that qualify for training, and other programs. But if you lose your job, you get benefits for a certain period, then no more.

Here in America, I hear over and over from politicians that nobody wants to be unemployed. And of course someone can stand up and show that by a few examples of unfortunate circumstances. I'm talking about some of those that work the system, get everything they can, and do little to pull themselves up.

Human nature is probably the same in Denmark as it is here. You give folks everything they need, and they have no desire to go to work. They found it out in Denmark. And they have been lowering the unemployment rate for years now.

Sure we need a safety net. And in Denmark they have a welfare/social security payment (much lower than unemployment for those not willing or able to work ). But I also know, and you probably do also, those who milk the system.

Throw in generation after generation of welfare, and perhaps, just maybe, some of these cuts we need should be in the form of realizing that some are just living off the system.

As in Denmark, when you set unemployment at 4 years with 90% of your last job held, there were certainly a good number not willing to look for work.

While we do not have 90% of pay for 4 years of benefits, we have so many handout programs, that as a whole, some have no incentive to do much more than live off the government.

Just something to consider. I find it interesting that when benefits ran out in Denmark, most found work. Simply amazing. Who would of thought.

To suggest that nobody is milking the system, while seeing commercial after commercial selling the idea that you deserve government handouts in one form or another, I wonder who is actually keeping things in check.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »

An engineer (PE) friend of mine was laid off of his last job 3 years ago and somehow remained on unemployment. I don't know how he managed that but he was PROUD to be on it (as he told our group at a weekly lunch). Several of us pretty much let him have it at that lunch!  He couldn't work for anything lower than his last salary (or it was beneath him).

The only reason he has a job today is that his wife wanted to quit work to stay at home with their mentally challenged son so he took a state job.

My understanding now is that you don't have to look for a job (or prove it to keep your benefits) to stay on unemployment.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »

Not only were they paying for a long time but 90% of their pay.  I would have been wanting to get laid off.  Here each state sets its amount of unemployment dollars.  It wasn't yesterday but the last time I drawed any I think it was $120 a week.  With that amount you LOOK for a job.

Joe
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:50:14 PM »

I think unemployment should always be set up in a way to encourage employment again asap. Not sure how that works when there are simply not jobs to be found, though, or jobs that pay enough to actually live off of.

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:59:48 PM »

there was a study done on that.  seems it might have been a UCLA or stanford study.  found the same thing.

you can live on very little if you are willing to adjust your lifestyle.  you can work more than one job.  you can move.  there are lots of things you can do, but why bother is someone is going to pay to to do nothing?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »

Work more than 1 job?!? Wink I work part time all year, way more than full time 6 months of the year. DH farms his own, plus about 2 hours every morning helping his cousin on their dairy farm.

Our kids have heard us talking about the fiscal cliff, and DS and I were listening again about it on NPR this morning. He wondered if we were anywhere near the $300,000 cut off the Dems are proposing. I had to laugh. I told him what we make and he was shocked, despite multiple jobs in the family. I thought he was more $ savvy than that, but I guess he had a higher number in his mind Smiley

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:18:53 PM »

you might get hit anyway.  depends on how the farm business is structured.  not to worry, there are plenty of taxes coming with obama care so you won't get left out.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »

check this too.  it might hit your farming business.

http://www.atr.org/trillion-obamacare-tax-hike-hitting-jan-a7393

Alexis de Tocqueville
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 07:48:33 PM »

For multiple reasons, we are going to get slammed with taxes this year, but we won't personally be bringing any more $ than we ever have.

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next