Thanx everyone for the advice.
Here is a bit of an update.
Four days ago I checked on the hive, sure enough, my efforts at attaching the combs onto empty wired frames had not gone to plan, they were building comb everywhere I did not want. I used rubber bands to attach the combs and trimmed them so there was no overlap (after watching some more JP vids).
It looked a bit crowded in the 5 frame NUC so I transferred to a super as well. I gave them a frame of syrup to help them building comb, even though they probably did not need it.
I also spotted the queen, so looks like everything is going to plan so far.
Today, I inspected the box, and the combs are sitting where they should be, the bees have drawn out almost two frames of foundation. Did not see the queen this time, but she is laying eggs in one of the newly drawn foundation frames.
May be I attached too many rubber bands to one of the frames, the bottom of it was bowed up.
So far they are very gentle bees, no need to smoke them.