Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 02, 2014, 03:22:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What assault weapon to buy?  (Read 2441 times)
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« on: December 27, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »

I do not own a assault weapon. I have other guns. 30/30, 22, and various hunting/target guns.

What assault weapons do you suggest owning if you had one to buy?

Are there differences in ammo, reloading ability, future costs, and other factors that would make one better over another?

Thank you.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »

My first choice would be an M-79 grenade launcher.It's only a single shot.

http://world.guns.ru/grenade/usa/m79-e.html

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »

the AR-15 is fun, and a good one won't break the bank.  i'd just go with a good name manufacturer because it will make any work you need done or parts, easier.  ammo is not any more expensive for that than anything else.  biggest thing for me is magazines.  if you don't have the larger capacity mags now, you'd better get them.  already i'm finding stores online sold out....but i'd rather buy in person with cash.

pm or email reinbeau about the AR

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 03:12:38 PM »

I own a bushmaster with a dpms lower receiver.  Parts are all interchangeable.   If you are looking to buy one because of all the recent events the thing to do is buy a lower receiver now.  This is just the casting but has the ser. #.   I built my rifle in about 1999 so the clinton crime bill was still here.  Because I had bought a lower with a serial number manufacture after 1994 crime bill I was limited on the things that I put on my rifle.  The anti's decided what made a "bad gun".   Bad gun things are a telescoping stock, a pistol grip, a removable mag, a flash suppressor and a bayonet lug.  with a AR15 you have to have the grip and mag but really dont need the others.  in 2004 the 10 year crime bill ended.  Most likely obama will try some sort of feelgood stuf like this so as I said buy a lower before it happens and you wont have to follow all the feelgood stuff.  One thing about these rifles that you will find out is they have terrible triggers.  After market trigger is a must.  Calibers are mostly the same 223 which is nice because there is so much bulk ammo available.  
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:28:05 PM by danno » Logged
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 03:16:16 PM »

as Kathy stated get your mags and as I stated buy a lower casting.  Lowers are about 150.00    For mags the best operating mag in the 20 round military with a green follower.   AR15.com is a wealth of info with a few nutcase members through in.    look up  http://www.brownells.com/   get there catalog
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:31:28 PM by danno » Logged
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »

danno, read this.  especially the last part of it.  

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

Background check of owner and any transferee;
    Type and serial number of the firearm;
    Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »

Thanks Kathy
Feinstein has been trying to get this kind of crap passed forever.  Recent events sure aren't going to hurt her cause.   Maybe just in case I should get my guns transfered to my boys now.     
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 04:19:17 PM »

when she was interviewed a week or two ago she said she'd had this ready for a year.  guess it was just a matter of finding the right time to present it.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »

If anyone needed assaulted I guess my model 1912 Winchester pump is as good as it gets anyway.  I do wish I had bought a ruger ranch rifle in .308 about 2010.
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »

I like most any of them, at the present time the only assault rifle I have is a SKS.  Back a few years ago you could pick up shells for 2 to 3 dollars a box, little higher now, but still now like 30-06, or 300 mag shells.  I have a 30 and some 20 round clips, I like the 20 better.  I like to shoot dillars with it.  That's armadillos, and I use jacketed hollow points. Good luck with what ever you may choose.

Joe
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »

An AR based rifle is easier to upgrade,build etc than AK based rifles.  Accuracy and parts interchange goes to an AR with knockdown power and reliability an AK. If you can still find one, buy a stripped lower receiver from a local gun dealer and have it 'registered' as a multi- caliber. That way you can change out the upper receivers with few other modifications in the various other calibers to suit. (9mm 45acp .223 or even 7.62 etc) and its all still kosher in the eyes of ATF. AR's are easy to strip down and change whatever with a very limited amount of tools. AK's still eat my lunch even after building a couple of them from parts kits (a lot of press fits and rivets) Brownells is good, along with Midway USA and Palmetto State Armory. Personally I wouldn't get set on a particular brand name if its a weapon to keep. Colt's, Bushmasters, DPMS, and Rock River Arms will usually bring a higher resale price if you come to that, but for the most part, until you start getting into the milled receivers, they are all about the same and go bang when the trigger is pulled.
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 07:31:44 AM »

Bjorn,

Your a handy guy. Why not build an AK out of a shovel -> http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/179192-DIY-Shovel-AK-photo-tsunami-warning!

If your interested in buying one now, your about a month too late,  prices are 3-4x now.   Cost will be your biggest factor.  As others suggested, I would stick with either an AR or AK in standard chamber. 

I would suggest waiting until things calm down and there will be a good market from all those who will have buyer remorse.  Right now people are coming out of the woodwork to buy anything at any price.  Your still pretty lucky as Penn is much more gun friendly than NY.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 09:22:58 AM »

"Assult" rifles were designed to wound the enemy and thus tie up their people caring for the wounded.  Jeff Cooper calls them "poodle shooters".  If you want a semi auto but deadly gun, a Browning Auto Rifle can be had in all the typical high powered cartridges such as .30-06 etc.  If you can find one, a Swedish Ljungman is, in my opinion the best ever made of this class of rifle.  An M1 Garand is an American knock off of it and is available in .308 and sometimes .30-06.  But if you want a poodle shooter, there are many knock offs of an AR15 and by now there must be some semi auto knock offs of an M4.  The M4 will be much smaller and handier.  I would prefer the M4 over the AR15.  Of course semi auto versions of the SKS and the AK47 are popular.  I haven't kept up but it used to be there was a lot of surplus ammo for them.  Unfortunately it was usually Berdan primers so it was not reloadable, but you can buy new ammo that is Boxer primers and can be reloaded.  The problem with reloading for a semi auto is your criteria changes from maximum accuracy and velocity to just making the action run nicely...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
specialkayme
Field Bee

Location: Central NC - (somewhere either in Raleigh, Greensboro, or inbetween)

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 09:35:10 AM »

Most likely obama will try some sort of feelgood stuf like this so as I said buy a lower before it happens and you wont have to follow all the feelgood stuff.  

That's not 100% correct. With the Clinton bill, you needed to not only OWN the gun before the ban, but it already had to be equipped with the "bad stuff" before the ban. If you purchased a lower receiver only, and it didn't have three or more attachments on it (pistol grip, telescoping stock, hand rail system, flashlight), it was still considered a "post ban" gun. I went through that in the early 2000's before the ban was lifted. "Pre-ban" lower receivers were selling in the thousands, while "post-ban" lower receivers were selling in the hundreds. Some people who bought lower receivers before the ban, but were never equipped with the right stuff thought their $100 item just increased in price by a factor of 10. They were wrong.

So if you are concerned about a similar bill coming out, make sure you not only buy the lower receiver, but you deck it to the hills BEFORE the ban takes affect. But, if you are more concerned about being able to access a gun, buy up as many stripped lowers as you can. A stripped lower receiver on an AR-15 will set you back $100-150 if you get it at the right place (DPMS, Rock River). A complete lower receiver will set you back $250.

As far as selection goes, I'd get a gun that runs off nato rounds, or what the US military uses. If bleep hits the fan, there should be plenty of that ammo lying around. 9mm, .45, .223 will all be easily accessible. I immagine it wouldn't be TOO hard to find .308 or 7.62, but you'll probably have a hard time finding .300, 30-06, .357, .40 or the like.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »

"Assult" rifles were designed to wound the enemy and thus tie up their people caring for the wounded.

yup and they are not worth much at close range.  high velocity and small caliber will pass right though at close range.  you get cavitation injury but other than hitting a vital organ, your odds of killing are lower.  it's not until you are far enough away to get the tumble that these weapons do a better job of killing.  that's why the Colorado shooter didn't kill as many people.  if he'd gone in with his hand guns, the death toll would probably be higher.

the last school shooter apparently had time to put multiple rounds in the kids and given their size, his odds of killing them were higher.  be nice to know why he had so much time....

Alexis de Tocqueville
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 01:27:52 PM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:35:43 PM by VolunteerK9 » Logged
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 03:40:40 PM »

What makes it an assault weapon, looks, amount of ammo or what.  Looks can be misleading, amount of ammo you can get 10 rd clips for Remington 742-7400, .243,.308, and 30-06.  As far as close range, how close, use a shot gun or pistol, I like the 1911 .45 .  For longer ranges I have a BAR 300 Win mag. with extended range ammo. That will reach out there.  I love to hunt, or just go out and shoot.  On our schools some in our area have a police sub station on campus.  Good luck to y'all

Joe
oliver
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 07:52:32 AM »

Depends on the purpose in mind. For home defense  shotgun with 8 shot mag is hard to beat, you can buy one without taking a second mortgage. Any weapon used to assault is an assault weapon, imagine dc will be taking this into consideration sooner or later.
S.Rummings
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 02:18:08 PM »

I do not own a assault weapon. I have other guns. 30/30, 22, and various hunting/target guns.

I don't own any "assault weapons". I only own defense weapons.

I guess I do have an "assault bat" somewhere but I am not sure where I put it. You know, one of those aluminum bats with "no known sporting purpose".

Really? What makes an assault weapon an assault weapon. My guess is anything used in an attack is an assault weapon. At least that is how I would feel if I was being attacked.

danno
Super Bee

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »

I don't own any "assault weapons". I only own defense weapons.

I guess I do have an "assault bat" somewhere but I am not sure where I put it. You know, one of those aluminum bats with "no known sporting purpose".

Really? What makes an assault weapon an assault weapon. My guess is anything used in an attack is an assault weapon. At least that is how I would feel if I was being attacked.
This is what I have always said!!!!   take a leg off a table and hit someone in the head and it is a asault weapon Up until that time it just a table leg

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next