Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 20, 2014, 08:33:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Health care tied to......  (Read 1988 times)
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« on: December 26, 2012, 06:39:26 PM »

A few years back, I went in to a doctors appointment for an annual physical. I was handed a "life Style & Risk" survey.

I asked what it was, and they stated that it was for tracking and risk assessment of something or another.

I sat down and started reading it. It opened by asking some general overall health questions. Then it got into whether I had guns in my home, whether I locked them up, whether I had kids in the house, and whether they had access to them. It asked if I was part of, or had been a victim of abuse. It asked about drugs and risk activities such as if I drove a motorcycle, owned an ATV, etc. It asked about personal questions on a scale that surprised me.

I did not fill out the survey. I handed back to the nurse. She asked why I had not filled out the survey. I said it was none of their business on some of the questions. She suggested I fill out the questions that I felt comfortable with, and they would make note of the ones I refused. I said absolutely not.

So why the survey? Is it for federal funding? Risk assessment on some level? Not really sure, and do not care. I pay for them to give me medical advice, and I then tell them what I will do for myself as I am in charge of MY healthcare.

But is has me wondering what type files the government will have in the future? Will we have a "health care" score kind of like a credit score? One where someone will look over my records, and decide if I am worthy of some medical procedure or worth saving. Will some government twit bean counter have it noted that I am "republican" and this be a reason for a certain decision to be made? Hard to say.

What box or label will be applied to each person? Will they match up public records such as firearm records to health care files?

It will be interesting exactly what will be kept on file in those records in the years to come. And I am not talking about the ones you will see. I'm talking about the other one.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 08:26:37 PM »

But is has me wondering what type files the government will have in the future? Will we have a "health care" score kind of like a credit score? One where someone will look over my records, and decide if I am worthy of some medical procedure or worth saving. Will some government twit bean counter have it noted that I am "republican" and this be a reason for a certain decision to be made? Hard to say.

sure.  they'll have to because that's one big way to control cost.  remember obama telling that lady that her grandmother might have to take a pill rather than get whatever the treatment was that she got?

did you miss this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/opinion/health-care-reform-beyond-obamacare.html?_r=2&

and this one tries to put a brighter light on it....but fails

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2012/12/10/the-truth-behind-obamacares-death-panels

there are two panels (so far) that will have a say in our care under obama care.  one is the Independent Payment Advisory Board     and the other is the
Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)

on had to do with cost and the other with care.  welcome to the brave new world.  it's going to suck to get old or sick.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
sterling
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 03:10:37 PM »

BUT IT IS FREE HEALTH CARE FOR ALL.  rolleyes rolleyes So the uninformed people think.
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »

They ask those questions because they're directly linked to your health. If you're worried the government is coming to get you, then don't answer them. Same questioned asked if you want health insurance or life insurance, again because they're related to your likelihood of living or dying sooner or later than a typical person.

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »

They ask those questions because they're directly linked to your health. If you're worried the government is coming to get you, then don't answer them. Same questioned asked if you want health insurance or life insurance...

But Miss honey, if the questions are so innocent, why don't you take the quiz and post your answers here for us all to gape at. 

Besides, the Obama health care law prevents insurance companies from asking these types of questions before they write a policy to cover you.  Good try but no cigar.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:02:32 PM »

wager of the day:  if the prez decides to do something on gun control  by going around congress, he will do it by way of the DHHS.  this has been his MO on other issues.  he uses the alphabet agencies to enact things that he would not otherwise be able to either order, or get through congress.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 06:16:49 PM »

Always being ahead of the curve, I guess I should point out that the president today gave a "wink-wink" approval for doctors to systematically delve into your business and ask about guns, locks and risks.

And some actually thought this was about providing health care.  Wink

Your teachers, doctors, and politicians, are the one's they think know best for your kids.

Read this: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/17/dr-manny-dont-make-doctors-gatekeepers-for-gun-control/

We should start a list and see how many items could come true over the coming year. It will be amazing how much obamacare has nothing to do with healthcare, and more about information gathering and public/social control.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
edward
Queen Bee

FEED ME HONEY or I`ll smash your screen !

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 09:22:22 PM »

Here in Sweden if you get done for drunk driving to many times or are a habitual alcoholic you run the risk of loosing your gun/hunting licence until you can prove a sober healthy life style.

As most hunters cant live with out the hunting life style it keeps some of them sober.

mvh edward  tongue
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:02:10 PM »

Here in Sweden if you get done for drunk driving to many times or are a habitual alcoholic you run the risk of loosing your gun/hunting licence until you can prove a sober healthy life style.

As most hunters cant live with out the hunting life style it keeps some of them sober.

mvh edward  tongue

Is that why they all come to Denmark to get drunk?

I used to take part in Nato marksmanship contests. The brits fought the most, The swedes drank the most. And the Danes had the best women.  Wink

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
edward
Queen Bee

FEED ME HONEY or I`ll smash your screen !

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:15:31 PM »

The brits fought the most, The swedes drank the most.

Hmmm  cheer  ninja And I'm half Swedish 1/4 English 1/4 Irish born in Scotland ninja cheer You better look out  grin

mvh edward  tongue
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 11:18:24 PM »

Will some government twit bean counter have it noted that I am "republican" and this be a reason for a certain decision to be made? Hard to say.

No, but it will probably be noted you're a bee keeper  laugh

Seriously though, what is so bad about wellness programs?  The lowest way to keep costs down is to keep people out of the hospitals. 
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 01:15:32 AM »

... The lowest way to keep costs down is to keep people out of the hospitals. 

Yes, that is what our English and Canadian cousins discovered when they went to a single payer or government provided health care system. 

The British and Canadian governments discovered that if they procrastinated long enough that all health problems solved themselves at about the same time that the patient assumed room temperature.  No longer any patient.... no longer any health expense.
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 03:34:08 PM »

But Miss honey, if the questions are so innocent, why don't you take the quiz and post your answers here for us all to gape at. 

Besides, the Obama health care law prevents insurance companies from asking these types of questions before they write a policy to cover you.  Good try but no cigar.
What does one thing have to do with the other? There are plenty of things I do on a daily basis that are innocent but I wouldn't do them in public. Privacy does not equal guilt.

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »

... What does one thing have to do with the other? ...Privacy does not equal guilt.

You may not know it but under Obama Care and its wonderful all pre-existing illness covered policy, people who receive help paying for their health insurance premiums (poor people) will be saddled with an additional 5k out of pocket health care premium if they smoke or use tobacco.  This cost is added on top of the government help they get even if their health is perfect. 

Is this the kind of privacy not equaling guilt you had in mind?
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 10:21:56 AM »

I'm a little torn.

With all other insurance policies, the higher risk you are, the more you pay. They're apparently just doing the same thing for healthcare. I feel badly for smokers, but there is a ton of help out there for quitting, and it IS the leading cause of death, and I WOULD like affordable healthcare, which conceivably could be more affordable if I wasn't paying for the extremely high repercussions of smoking.

We're caring for a child who is likely to soon be placed in foster care. His g'pa in his 60s is dying from a smoking related illness, his grandma smokes constantly and is in rotten health in her mid-50s, and he suffers asthma when in his home. It's not like there are not enormous costs to tobacco use.

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »

and I WOULD like affordable healthcare, which conceivably could be more affordable if I wasn't paying for the extremely high repercussions of smoking.

the cost of obesity is now estimated to be = to the cost of smoking.  we now have the ability to do genetic testing.  should those who have genetic predispositions to disease also pay more?  after all, there are studies that show no matter the lifestyle, including smoking, it's genetics that matter when it comes to health.

maybe people who drive little cars should pay more because in an accident, they suffer worse injury.  if you ski, or mountain climb, pay more....

this could go on and on.  smokers are the convenient target right now, but maybe your habit or family history will be the target tomorrow.  really, if smoking is that dangerous, just make it illegal.  that solves the problem...but it kind of puts a hitch in the states and fed collecting all that revenue from cigarette taxes.

and I WOULD like affordable healthcare, which conceivably could be more affordable if I wasn't paying for the extremely high repercussions of smoking.

you make a good point.  heath care overall would be less expensive if we were paying for what we needed and wanted and not for everyone else.  you can't take market forces out of something and expect it to cost less.  prepare to pay more for your insurance in the future, no matter what you do or don't do.

which reminds me....we just got our new plan for the year.  our premium has almost doubled and we are now paying for services that used to be included...including ER visits unless admitted. 
this is not going to break our bank because we have a good plan through the hospital where my husband works BUT  what about everyone else?  sure, you get a free checkup every year and some labs.  you also get a free mammogram or colonoscopy. just don't need anything like an MRI or CT because now that's going to cost you a bundle.  Don't get sick!!!!  OR go on the government plan.

wow, this is going soooo well. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »

My plan went up 10% this year. Pretty much the same as every year that I've been purchasing my own health ins.

The reasons you give above, Kathy, are why I'm torn on it. It could be a slippery slope. And, honestly, yes perhaps obese people should pay more. Heart disease and cancer are the top 2 killers, and both are extremely linked to diet and lifestyle. We had to go through the whole life ins. thing again recently, and you bet the premiums are based on our risks. We had blood work, urine tests, weight checks. Husband had an ECG. They are not going to insure us (or cheaply) if we're likely to use their insurance in the near future.

When I got many speeding tickets as a young driver, my company simply dropped me. They told me I couldn't afford their high-risk ins., but I'm betting they didn't want me anywhere near them.

That's just life. Why do we think it shouldn't apply to health?

In my area, our insurance companies give rebates for health club memberships, CSA memberships, etc. Why not the opposite for high-risk patients?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:24:53 PM by luvin honey » Logged

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »

eta: People in little cars DO pay more in their auto insurance. Even GRADES are linked to auto insurance, or ADD diagnosis, etc.

What you state about your health insurance, there's nothing new about that. Every single year I've been employed, the premiums went up drastically AND the benefits went down. An exceptional year was one we could keep one (but not the other) the same. In a bad year they both went in the wrong direction.

My parents used to pay their employees; health ins. 100%. Now the employees need to help, they have deductibles, less is covered, and so on. THAT is why healthcare needs reform. If you honestly think it will be perfection the first year, then you're not being reasonable.

My ins went up the same as usual. No doubling happened at my clinic or on the private plan I now have. I'm delighted prevention is covered. I'm thrilled healthy behaviors are rewarded through rebates. Both happened before Obamacare, and both are still happening. Great move in the right direction for health ins.

If my lifestyle becomes problematic, I will change it or have to choose to live with the consequences. If my family history causes issues, then I'm higher risk and have to accept higher premiums.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:27:07 PM by luvin honey » Logged

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 02:12:46 AM »

I'm a little torn.

With all other insurance policies, the higher risk you are, the more you pay. ...I feel badly for smokers, but ... it IS the leading cause of death...

I wonder where you got your data. Between 20-25% of all Americans smoke yet at somepoint during their lifetime fully 100% of Americans die.  Do you really mean to infer that we could cut human mortality be 75-80% by baning tobacco? police

Obama and the Democrat House and Senate sold Obama care to the masses with the promise that there would not be any preexisting clauses in the "Affordable Health Care Act Policies".  Can medical weed, or homeopathic and herbal "cures" or (God help Al Gore) massage therapy be far behind?  What Obama and his New Age Puritans are angling for in my opinion is to deny health care to those who are in their's and Hitler's eyes, "Life not worthy of living." 
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 08:42:04 AM »

I thought the huge taxes on tobacco by the Clinton administration was to be used to offset these costs created by smokers. Or didn't this huge tax cure any of the fiscal problems? Perhaps this money did not go where it was indicated when sold as a package deal?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next