Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 23, 2014, 05:12:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newspaper publishes gun permit maps  (Read 1867 times)
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« on: December 26, 2012, 06:16:08 PM »

Check this out:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/newspaper-handgun-permit-map-draws-criticism-article-1.1227606

Not sure if this will increase break-ins from those looking for guns, or puts in danger those not on the list.

The one thing I know, is that when the government requires you have a permit, then allows these records to be used like this, it just seems wrong to me.

Huge liability if someone is shown to use these maps and someone gets killed.

See how easy everything can line up when you require folks to register guns? Records could be used for any number of reasons in the future.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 06:30:26 PM »

I hope nothing comes of it, but when, ""and that is not if,but when"", it does, I hope Gannett is sued out of existence.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 06:46:48 PM »

Look at it as a map to the homes where one might just get killed dead while breaking in those houses.

It is like the sign that says "forget the dog, beware of the owner".

divemaster1963
Field Bee

God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 06:52:22 PM »

I hope nothing comes of it, but when, ""and that is not if,but when"", it does, I hope Gannett is sued out of existence.

Could there be a liability lawsuit there? Permitting is not authorization for publication of information of personal actions. just because you get a permit does not meaning You authorize them to release your name and info to the public. The info is for law enforcement use only! Just like they can not release your tax info to the public.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »

Property tax info is public and a lot of the times already on the net. 
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 07:34:33 PM »

they got it through FOIA a request.  it's public record in that state. 

i don't keep the fact that i have guns a secret.  i figure if you know i'm armed and you come anyway, you get what you deserve.  this list is only of those who have permits, not those who have guns.  wonder what will happen when some unarmed permit holder is killed by some nut looking to steal the gun that's not there?

+ this might have backfired on the papers brass.  their addresses, phone numbers, and even google map street pictures are all over FB.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »

So what makes a public record?

To demand someone have a permit, then allow the records to be open to anyone asking, where does that stop?

For instance......if the government is paying for someones health care, are the patients records open? Why not? Everyone on assistance should have open records.

Property taxes might be one thing, as it is nice to know how your property compares to another. And that helps with appraisals, etc. And I like to know if I'm getting screwed.

But what about your taxes. The government says you must pay them just like they make you register a gun in some areas. What makes one public and one private? Should I have access to my neighbors taxes so I can be a good citezen and report anything that might not be reported?

Since my taxes pay for secret service and other government employees, why not list where all secret service folks live? How about other records?

To me, there is no reason for records such as gun permits to be open to the public. Sorry. I feel that way about most records.

I see someone suing for lost home property values as they live next to someone with a large amount of guns.

This could get nuts.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »

Sunshine is one of the best disinfecting agents there is. 

As for legal liability over public records, forget about it.  The government is generally immune to liability lawsuits.  If not, they would be completely bankrupt and out of operation!

My property tax, water bills, garbage bill, delinquent taxes, mortgages, purchases prices of property, home photos, plumbing and electrical records, etc are all readily viewed on the county and city websites.  Does this bother me?  Not really, see the first line in this post.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 08:39:28 PM »

this assumes there is something that needs disinfecting. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »

I don't think publishing names of those with hand gun carry permits would work down here.  Sure a lot do have them, and several carry but don't have permits.  If it hasn't changed you could have a gun laying in plain view in your car, if you concealed it you were supposed to have a permit.  As far as at home most everybody has some guns, muzzle loaders, and bows.  I was fair with a bow, got a deer at 47 yards with a old compound slow bow.  It is quiet though.  Got to rambling again.  Good luck to you all.

Joe
lthorpe
New Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 12:05:23 AM »

Look at it as a map to the homes where one might just get killed dead while breaking in those houses.

It is like the sign that says "forget the dog, beware of the owner".

Or a map to the homes where there are no Guns! 
Hell just make a app for that, they can check for guns while there looking in the window.
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 03:48:54 PM »

As for legal liability over public records, forget about it.  The government is generally immune to liability lawsuits.  If not, they would be completely bankrupt and out of operation!

My property tax, water bills, garbage bill, delinquent taxes, mortgages, purchases prices of property, home photos, plumbing and electrical records, etc are all readily viewed on the county and city websites.  Does this bother me?  Not really, see the first line in this post.

True, but that's still different than actively publishing them. WAY easier to see the names than if you have to actually go down to the courthouse and look this stuff up by yourself.

I totally disagree with them doing that. What's the point? The purpose?

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »

I totally disagree with them doing that. What's the point? The purpose?

To make gun owners look evil.  It is just another media tool.   The news here in NY is taking full advantage of it.   Last night they were interviewing people about it "all anti-gun" by the way.  Things like, I will check the map before I let my kid go to a birthday party or a play day.  After all, if there is a gun in the house there is a possibility of something going wrong.  More indoctrination of the youth.  "Oh you can't go to Johnny's birthday party because they own a gun".   All about intimidation, saw on a NY gun forum a woman wanting to know if there was a way to withdraw an application for a pistol permit - now that the list is published, she is no longer interested in getting one.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

S.Rummings
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »

All about intimidation, saw on a NY gun forum a woman wanting to know if there was a way to withdraw an application for a pistol permit - now that the list is published, she is no longer interested in getting one.

I would have no interest in getting one now either. Of course, That doesn't mean I wouldn't have a gun.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 05:33:24 PM »

Remember the situation where the fire department came out to stand in front of a home that had paid their emergency services fee, while watching the home next door burn to the ground?

I'll laugh my butt off if I ever see a headline of some tragedy of a bunch of folks getting killed and someone standing off to the side, and doing nothing while they had a concealed weapon. Then afterwards being asked about it, and stating...."they had it coming to them". I protect myself, but screw the stupid folks who can not even do that for themselves.

For liability concerns and the greatest lesson on earth.....if you have a gun, and see someone being assaulted....DO NOTHING!

The left would not want you coming to their aid. The criminals are NOT the problem. It is YOU! You have a weapon, and are the evil one. The criminal has a weapon......but someone else made him that way. Society forced him into this. We need to embrace that. He did not have a choice to carry. You did!

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
divemaster1963
Field Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 06:21:39 PM »

Yea then they would sue you for not helping to protect them with the good Samaritan law. I can see it now in the trial the lawyer saying hey they could have stopped this because they were armed. then you are charged for failure to assist because you were registered.

John
sawdstmakr
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 11:47:50 PM »

The media did the same thing down here in Florida several years back. The problem was that on there list were several prominent people including judges, lawyers and politicians. They quickly enacted a law to protect the CWL list from being released to anyone.
Jim
bwdenen
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »

Heared on the news that some blogger posed the names, addresses and google earth pictures of the homes of the reporters from the paper responsible for this.  Waaay to go!!!
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 09:47:11 AM »

Inmates using newspaper's gun owner map to threaten guards, sheriff says

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/04/law-enforcement-latest-critics-on-public-display-gun-owner-data-officers/?intcmp=trending#ixzz2H48BAbjK

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

divemaster1963
Field Bee

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »

Yea and the newspaper has posted armed guards at some of their offices. Ironic isn't it. They better hope none of the police officers whos names were posted work for the guard company?

John
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next