Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 18, 2014, 05:40:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you building  (Read 5021 times)
dave1958
New Bee

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 12:05:50 AM »

I thought I was doing good till I read these posts. I was planing on going to 10 hives this year, but after much sawing, gluing, nailing and visiting home depot I wasnt getting the job done. I build 10 hive stands, ten telescoping lids, 8 hive bodies, and 3 bottom boards. I gave up and  ordered precut boxes, bottom boards, and inner covers( I struggled with these). I was painting, nailing and gluing and making progress, till the ice hit and its been 30 and will be in evenings for the next 10 days. I know it will April/ May when my bees are here, but its a struggle to get things done with job, family and normal honey-do issues. How do you do these things? are you buying and assembling, or starting everything from scratch?
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 02:06:22 AM »

It is a real struggle my friend.  I'm always 2 steps behind the bees  Sad
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 10:11:38 AM »

I thought I was doing good till I read these posts. I was planing on going to 10 hives this year, but after much sawing, gluing, nailing and visiting home depot I wasnt getting the job done. I build 10 hive stands, ten telescoping lids, 8 hive bodies, and 3 bottom boards. I gave up and  ordered precut boxes, bottom boards, and inner covers( I struggled with these). I was painting, nailing and gluing and making progress, till the ice hit and its been 30 and will be in evenings for the next 10 days. I know it will April/ May when my bees are here, but its a struggle to get things done with job, family and normal honey-do issues. How do you do these things? are you buying and assembling, or starting everything from scratch?

Plan to buy everything you can afford and put together yourself. It's a never ending process unless you limit yourself to what you have already.
minz
House Bee

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 04:50:54 PM »

I just got my box building jig working the way I wanted.  I will need to post some pictures (like all my ideas it was somebody else’s) LOL. I figure I can knock out another half dozen boxes and then be back to running rough boards through the plainer.  Not certain what direction I am going from here, made most of my shallow stock into an apple press, now I have more deeps than supers and no nucs (I build just as large as the stock will allow and trim to size.

Poor decisions make the best stories.
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »

At the price of 1X pine I cant afford to build my own boxes anymore and frames are just to cheap.      I do build everything else
minz
House Bee

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2013, 11:38:16 PM »

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/6minz/Jig2.jpg
I used quick grip clamps rather than the dowels shown on the other forum.  I plain my own wood so my thickness is not always as uniform (or as thin) as the store bought ones.  I usually use two clamps for my press but my fingers are a little tight so I use 3 and sometimes hit them with a hammer.  I shoot two or three screws into each corner from the top, flip it and do it again.  If I had to do it over again I would have extended the uprights and put a bar clamp across the top rather than all the 2x8’s across the bottom.
Is it just me, I  am never happy with my final product.  Wood has too many knots finger spacing off, wine whine wine.....

Poor decisions make the best stories.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next