Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 20, 2014, 08:15:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let it snow!  (Read 1999 times)
luvin honey
Super Bee

« on: December 18, 2012, 02:23:42 PM »

Man, do I love snow! The woodbox is full, I harvested that last of the spinach in the beginning flurries, and the freezers and pantry are full of food. I love this tucked in winter feeling Smiley DH is hoping for 1-2 more deer so he can make more sausage and bologna, but other than that we are ready for winter.

Also glad for moisture and now hoping for some bitter cold to wipe out some of last year's bug populations.

Anyone else getting snow this week?

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 02:49:41 PM »

As long as you have it and I don't, we both will be tickled pink. Keep it there and enjoy it. It is 58 F. 14.4 C. and sunny. I love it.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
minz
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »

Yeah we are getting snow but we generally don’t. I had ½” on the deck this morning, figured ‘screw the gym’ reset my alarm and went back to bed for an hour and half. 

Poor decisions make the best stories.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:09:38 PM »

Another great December day for Michigan.  Sunny and low 40s.  Looks like ice or freezing rain is moving over Kazoo.  Haven’t had a chance to peek in on the bees for while.  Maybe I should go take a peek.

So it’s going to take iddee a while to find a snow snipe down there huh  huh
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 04:18:15 PM »

iddee--58 sounds wonderful, too. Have you ever had a chance to play in snow?

minz--an extra 1 1/2 hours sleeping sounds excellent Smiley Is Boring inland/coastline? I should know, as my sis lived in Oregon for 1/2 year. DH and I visited for our 10th anniversary and loved the coastline--beautiful!

BB--Freezing rain sounds nasty. It's nice when winter starts with a nice layer of snow instead of ice--poor wildlife and elderly hips! We're due for snow tomorrow and Thurs, up to 12 inches, so this is just a nice early surprise. My kids will be thrilled Smiley Doesn't feel like winter without hot cocoa, sledding, and needing to snowshoe to get eggs at the farm at night Smiley

Of course, my poor husband who plows out 5-6 driveways (his parents, his sis, farm, ours, 2 elderly neighbors) isn't nearly as thrilled about it all Smiley

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 04:49:41 PM »

First, we have had as high as 33 inches in one snowfall here in NC. We have plenty, thank you.

Secondly, I lived in Illinois for 10 years. I was there for the blizzards of '79. I """played?''' in more snow than I needed in a lifetime during those 10 years.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
edward
Queen Bee

FEED ME HONEY or I`ll smash your screen !

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 05:06:44 PM »

Today a lunch I complained to the local council that the plow man had made a 3 feet deep and 5 feet high snow drift in front of my honesty honey stand  angry

This evening when I came home they had been there and plowed it a way so the customers can buy honey for there Christmas hams  angel

I will have to call them tomorrow and thank them, don't suppose they have got a lot of praise lately when they have had to work around the clock trying to keep up with an angry Jack Frost.

mvh edward  tongue
bud1
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 09:55:52 AM »

as i have said befor, never saw a white christmas and sho would like to see one before i start pushing daisies

to bee or not to bee
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 10:39:36 AM »

Come on up, bud, but hurry before the storm hits! Due for 12-15" tomorrow Smiley

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 10:53:06 AM »

we got dusted yesterday, but now a warmer storm is coming.  it's a very wet winter so far, but not much snow.  if the wet and cold ever get together, we are in for it!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »

luvin honey
Where are you located?   I grew up in Fond du Lac.  Way to cold on that side of the lake
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 12:50:34 PM »

In the boonies about 45 min from Madison. Are you still in WI, Danno?

ETA: Oops, I see in MI Smiley

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 02:51:43 PM »

After 25 years in Wisc. I moved to Kodiak Alaska in 1983 then to Michigan in 1988.  Been here for 25 years now.  Still have family in Fond du Lac and  Baraboo and the old family cabin at castle rock. Back then we lived for winter.  Snowmobiles, ice fishing and skiing.  I remember those cold black night skyes with a billion stars and -10 or 15 temps.  Lake Michigan softens the heck out of the weather you guys send at us.  After 29 years away people still   recognize that old wiscinsin accent
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »

Hey--I go to Baraboo for my farmer's market! This summer, the night skies were amazing. I work nights after daytime farming, and you nearly felt dizzy looking into the nighttime Milky Way sky Smiley Alaska! I'd love to get there some day. Kind of expensive but hoping to save up for DH and my 25th Smiley Unfortunately, after a couple fairly snowless winters, a lot of snowmobiles are for sale around here. And now we're getting dumped on after all Smiley

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »

My clinic is closed for tomorrow, and the kids' schools also. Let it snow!

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »

We got between 15-20 inches. How about the rest of you?

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »

we got a sloppy mess.    4 or 5 inchs of snow covering the slush from yesterday and 50 MPH gusts. 
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 10:02:53 PM »

I just got a dusting of snow, still brown here. The wind was howling with 45mph gusts today.
Glad that the big lake knocked down some of force of this one.
minz
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »

We got out of church last night and the snow was falling hard.   :shock:By the time we got to delivering fudge down the Sandy River I was wondering if we were going to get out.   :?Kids ran out in the dark to make a snowman.  When it is 38 out you got to get on that in a hurry!
Luvin, we are inland just a piece.  It goes Pacific Ocean, coast range, Willamette valley, Cascades. I am at the base of Mt Hood in the Valley.  Nice place to live, Coast range drys the air some but the Cascades keeps her from getting too dry.
You cheese heads are nuts!  You got to be crazy to grow up there.  Well after 18 yrs of it I joined the Navy and never went back for more than a week.  I lived by the Mitchell Park Domes in Milwaukee WI and my dad had us shovel all the walks of the old people around us.  I hope somebody is helping them now.
Yup still got part of the accent. laugh

Poor decisions make the best stories.
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 04:40:19 PM »

We got out of church last night and the snow was falling hard.   :shock:By the time we got to delivering fudge down the Sandy River I was wondering if we were going to get out.   :?Kids ran out in the dark to make a snowman.  When it is 38 out you got to get on that in a hurry!
Luvin, we are inland just a piece.  It goes Pacific Ocean, coast range, Willamette valley, Cascades. I am at the base of Mt Hood in the Valley.  Nice place to live, Coast range drys the air some but the Cascades keeps her from getting too dry.
You cheese heads are nuts!  You got to be crazy to grow up there.  Well after 18 yrs of it I joined the Navy and never went back for more than a week.  I lived by the Mitchell Park Domes in Milwaukee WI and my dad had us shovel all the walks of the old people around us.  I hope somebody is helping them now.
Yup still got part of the accent. laugh

have not thought about the Mitchel park domes in over 30 years.   Have to look for them on google earth Thanks
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next