Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 16, 2014, 12:40:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Corn Whiskey  (Read 18098 times)
Anybrew
House Bee

« on: December 08, 2012, 06:18:41 PM »

Hi all, we in Australia are permitted to Distill our own raw spirits but we can't sell it.  Most people simply use sugar and yeast ferment their brew/wort and then distil it and charcoal filter the spirit and flavour it with a cordial/syrup.

Its ok, but I would like to make some from Corn, I know the basic's of malting the corn etc.
But thought I might throw it out there to anyone who has a good understanding of the process etc.
I think my Buddies in the US aren't permitted to make it. But any tips would be appreciated.
Or just PM me.

I have a brand new 50 litre French Oak Barrel as well evil

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:22:31 PM by Anybrew » Logged
divemaster1963
Field Bee

God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 01:50:41 AM »

Check out the site.
copper moonshine stills then look under free recipes. the site is full of fun facts and they can print it but not produce it.  Lips Sealed

john
west end apiary
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 03:29:32 PM »

hey Any Brew,
As an aussie with an interest in homebrew, you may be interested to know that it is completely illegal to distill spirits in australia. You are legally allowed to own a five litre still, but it is strictly for the purposes of distilling water or making essential oils.

Now with that said, if you google the "uncle jesse simple sour mash recipe" you will find a great amount of information on corn whiskey. there is also a lot of variation in the recipe in terms of wheat/rye use.
It is not a full mashing recipe, but it is a sugar wash with flavour from the corn.
The honest answer is that there are at least full forum sites on home distilling, just google them and you will find all and more informatin on this subject,
 Cheers and good luck, Nick
Anybrew
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »

Thanks for the info and the link Divemaster and Westy, I am no expert on the Legal stuff.  20 years. I  spoke to a Licencing mate and he said that in New South Wales you could distill alcohol but you could not sell it. police
Perhaps the law has changed since then or he just didn't know  :roll:I will have to check it out.

Cheers
Anybrew

Anybrew
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »

Well, your right Nick. Looks like I will be distilling water then to put in my Iron  laugh

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:15:32 PM by Anybrew » Logged
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 03:46:41 AM »

You must do a lot of ironing, Steve. A 50 litre barrel of water is going to last a long time, but at least you will look presentable   lau 

lau

Lone
bernsad
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 04:12:24 AM »

You can use it to top up the water level in your car battery too! grin
Anybrew
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »

Yeah yeah, I will be able to Iron everything even the curtains  laugh I am going have so much distilled water I will be checking my car battery's every night around 9pm.

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:01:35 AM by Anybrew » Logged
bernsad
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:33:18 AM »

Yeah yeah, I will be able to Iron everything even the curtains  laugh I am going have so much distilled water I will be checking my car battery's even night around 9pm.

Cheers
Steve
I don't think you have to wait that late at night to check the battery! Wink
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 12:51:33 AM »

I think I have a better solution, although I don't want to detract from wrinkleless curtains.  Lemon grass essential oil.  You will be able to attract every swarm in NSW.  You won't sleep with all the bees knocking at your door.  Your apiary will get so big you won't be able to hold it in NSW at all.

Lone
Anybrew
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 01:06:45 AM »

Great idea Lone, if the knocking gets too bad I will just have a slurp of my distilled water Lips Sealed

But maybe,that might create more knocking in my head the next day lol.

Cheers
Steve
jim81147
New Bee

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »

Rather than trying to malt the corn to use in your iron , get some brewers corn or similar ( some use flaked corn from the feed store )  , which you can obtain from most homebrew shops , and mash it with about a 4 corn to 1 malt barley mix . the malted barley will be able to convert the corn , then ferment just as you would beer , rack , let stand a day or two to clear and make iron juice !!! If you cant find flaked or brewers corn , google a cereal mash . That is what you will have to do to convert the corn,,,, I mean i am just guessing of course.............

If my bee's can survive me , Varroa doesn't stand a chance !!!
Vance G
Field Bee

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 11:34:34 PM »

My best guess on make a sour mash beer is to take a seasonally unused 25 gallon stainless honey tank and put ten pounds of corn meal in it, and four pounds of malted rye if you can get it or do it.  The originals waited for it to start working with wild yeast which is always present on flour or I would guess some clean fermenting yeast like KIV-1116  which doesn't mind heat could be started in a jar with a big handful of raisins and a little honey or sugar.  Then dump ten pounds of sugar in or hectares or liters--whatever you have.  If your temp is in the eighties, it should be done working in less than a week.  Siphon off the beer trying not to stir up the grain and gunk into a carboy and air lock it so it can clear out.  Dump 10 pounds of sugar in the tank and refill to old high water line.  The starches are slowly being converted to sugars in the grain and let it work til it quits, about 8 days this time.  Repeat step 2.  I would think that you will end up with about 28 gallons of beer that might yield two gallons of 65% ethanol in a fractionating still.  I think one might keep cooking until you end up with about 3 1/2 gallons total with the last being only about 20% alcohol and lots of headaches.  If I had to make multiple runs because my still would not hold 28 gallons, I would consider dumping my product back in the still with the second run and third.   If I ever try this, I am going to let the product drip into mason jars and number each one so I could use a proof and trail hydrometer to figure out how strong they are and determine how much to dilute with water or blend.  If I had that barrel I would fill it and check it at least every couple weeks to see when it gets enough oak.  The first 100 ML of each run should be used for stove fuel or fed to politicians.   It just can't hurt them but is highly toxic to human beings.  
Anybrew
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 03:52:37 PM »

Hey Vance G yeah yeah I understand. A friend of a friend of a friend who I know um really well  rolleyes has been using plain cane sugar in his brew to make cleaning fluid (ethanol) and it comes off at 93 to 95%.

He is still keen on the Mash method however the thought of making cleaning fluid with methanol in it is a little scary.  Apparently he always discards the first 150 ml with his cane sugar brew as a matter of course. The trick is as you said the malting process..

Cheers
Vance G
Field Bee

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 05:43:08 PM »

If my friend lived out of town and had space to malt he sure wouldn't mess with white sugar either.  He says he gets the sour mash taste with the process he is forced into and he says it ain't bad tasting and if blended non greedily there are not much in the way of headaches either.  The little bit of methanol and acetone and such boil off at a lower temperature than the ethanol and your friend is making a good choice on removing the first bit from the food supply.  The congeners that carry flavor and headaches go back thru my friends boiler.  Too bad that our guvmint needs taxes from every human activity to serve us so ahhh -completely.
Anybrew
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 08:40:50 PM »

I hear ya loud and clear, we are so restricted these days in every thing we are allowed to do. That some of the fun has been taken away from us and our young. Some for safety yeah,but we can barely cross the road without get some type of permit or paying some fee.

Malting .....that bloke has been thinking about it for a long time now. He has the acres and the time. never get a headache from is ethanol either amazing that. Commercial stuff stuff always give me a headache.

Cheers
Vance G
Field Bee

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 09:58:50 PM »

If your friend can buy foxfire booklets on line, there is a good old timey one on said subject.  A gentleman in Canada wrote a book entitled making pure corn whiskey.  Your friend might search for the Amphora Society and see what they have on offer in addition to said book I am told. 
divemaster1963
Field Bee

God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 08:34:38 PM »

I'v been talking to several assosiates of mine in the law enforcement community and the judical area. we were talking about the said things that relatives have produce in the pass. all of them stated that It is legal by the ATF to produce up to 200 gals for personal cunsumption per year. the illegal part is production to sell to make a profit.  20 gals per year would put me in a stuper for a year.

John
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 03:29:20 PM »

To start out its illegal to produce ethanol for consumption most places in the world and all of the US without a Lic.  Here in the US we can make 200 gallons of beer and or wine but you cant distill it afterwards.  It is not illegal to talk about it and that is all I'm doing here.  I should also add that the reason I know all of this is except for the grain bill it close to the same way you make a all grain beer.  For your mash you want at least 50 % corn however closer to 70% is typical in a recipe.   You can malt it.    I wont go into details on malting grain but you really dont have to to make a mash.  If you dont malt it you will need 20% malted barley as part of your grain bill and amylase enzyme wouldn't hurt.  You can go 80% corn 20% barley but most cut back the corn and add about 10% rye.  First thing you need to do is gelatinize your corn.   First mill it.  You then need to boil it for about 45minutes will do the trick.   Cool it to about 160F and add the milled malt Barley and Rye.   It will cool abit with the newly added grain so you need to keep a eye on it.  You want to hold it between 150 and 155 for one hour.   The easiest way to hold this temp is to do your mash in a preheated cooler with some sort of screened drain in the bottom.  After a hour you need to do the iodine test put a drop of wort (the mash liquid) on a flat white surface and add a drop of iodine.   This will show if the starches in the grain have been converted to sugar.  It the conversion is not complete the sample will turn dark blue or black.   If you get this reading continue holding the mash at mid 150s for another 1/2 hour.  If conversion is complete drain the mash tun and add more preheated 170F water and drain again.  Check your gravity and if its to low add some sugar.  This should now be boiled for a hour to kill all the unwanted critters living in it.  At this point cool it to about 80F and pitch the yeast.  For yeast a high alcohol tolerant like Champagne yeast should be used.   To make a sour mash you simply hold back a portion or you mash to be added to the next batch    
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:02:33 AM by danno » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next