Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 10:03:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: well, no kidding!  (Read 2494 times)
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 11:38:20 AM »

I'm sure that's the case many times, S. rummings, and it sounds like you deal with it on a daily basis. Again, could we just try to fix the system and take care of these gaps? It sounds like most of us genuinely want a safety net for the truly needy and would appreciate a more efficient system.

Where I have to pause, though, is when we have an economy like these and there simply are not jobs to be had, much less for those who haven't been used to working or have the skills.

Absolutely I've worked my whole life and am surrounded by people who always have.

In our work in "the system", I'm seeing families who are asking for help (legitimately) and finding out that there are big strings attached (at least through social services). I'm not sure what to think about that. I think if you want X, you might need to submit to Y, but I'd also be afraid of truly needful people falling through the gaps if they feel too exposed in asking for help.

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »

In our work in "the system", I'm seeing families who are asking for help (legitimately) and finding out that there are big strings attached (at least through social services). I'm not sure what to think about that. I think if you want X, you might need to submit to Y, but I'd also be afraid of truly needful people falling through the gaps if they feel too exposed in asking for help.

i have mixed feelings about need too.  i think most people jump to looking for external help way to soon.  it should be hard and there should be string attached.

my oldest has two kids, married, has some debt from the last spouse, and is about a semester away from his degree (better late than never smiley)  last month, he lost his job.  lousy timing especially since they'd just come to the point where he felt pretty secure in his job and his wife had quite work to go back to school.

i told him to go down and get food stamps and whatever else he qualified, for because that's what the programs were there for.  instead, he is working two jobs, one a min. wage job at Safeway, and his wife has gone back to work at a temp agency.  they are making it, barely, but they are proof that it can be done if you are willing to work.  it would be easier if he took the help...no doubt about it.

i don't see things getting better any time soon.  we are going to have to make some tough decisions and they are going to have to include making the "safety net" harder to fall into.  this country made a choice in leadership.  the consequences of that choice are going to impact the way we live for a long time to come.  maybe that's a fair trade off for a lot of people. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 03:00:38 PM »

Kudos to your son! I don't know how old his kids are, but some of those choices would be especially hard if it came between having any time with the kids and not having to ask for help. Your son is exactly the kind of person I'd love for there to be help for.

We have an older friend who despises govt help. Then he developed heart disease--very active, very thin guy, not his fault. He was quite poor but either had to accept help or die without surgery. I really felt for him and I'm not sure what eventually happened. I know a lot of people pooled together money to help out, and I know he pays off a tiny amount per month, but I'm guessing a lot will still have to be written off. Really tough decisions for a lot of people.

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »

Your son is exactly the kind of person I'd love for there to be help for.

it's there.  he chooses not to take it.  yes, he is sacrificing time with his family.  that's a choice that generations of parents have had to make.  it is probably a better example to kids than mom collecting the welfare check.

I know a lot of people pooled together money to help out, and I know he pays off a tiny amount per month, but I'm guessing a lot will still have to be written off

isn't this why we already put gazillions of dollars into medicare?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:16:22 PM by kathyp » Logged

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
bwdenen
House Bee

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 12:33:33 PM »

The wife works for our county Juvenile Court, has for 18 years.  She never ceases to be amazed at the number of kids on SSI/disability for ADD and ADHD.  The actual terms my not be listed, but the lawers sure know how to get it through. 
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »

Wow, that's amazing to me. Maybe I haven't seen the most severe cases, but if a child is in school, and the school is dealing with the ADD, I just can't see how SSI would become involved...

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next