Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 26, 2014, 09:04:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russians... advice needed/wanted  (Read 2571 times)
Belewsboy
New Bee

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 09:37:17 PM »

From Ray Bayless...
"Hey,
I could tell the difference in mite load between my Italian and Russian hives this year. I didn't do a sugar shake but the only hive I had come down with deformed wings were Itallian. I don't think Russian bees are mite free but they are supposed to be resistant to both trachea and varroa mites. Have you seen a difference?"

Hey, Ray...
   I really can't say quite yet.  Again I'm a first year beek and I've only had my Russians since June.  I will say this...I was under the (incorrect) assumption that new hives rarely get heavy mite loads during their first year.  As I said before, I have 2 Italians and 2 Russians and they are all grouped within a few feet of each other.  Just for the heck of it I slid in the white grid IPM sticky boards under all the hives and then pulled them 3 days later.  No sugar dusting or anything.  1 Italian and 1 Russian hive had huge mite drops.  The other 2 had practically none.  The Italian with mites showed some DWV, but the Russian did not.
   So...as far as I can tell so far, I don't see a lot of difference between the two breeds as to how they deal with mites.  I'm pretty sure that if I had not treated them, the mites would have won.  Maybe after I keep them another year I will have a better feel for their differences.  Hope this helps.

JE
lazy shooter
New Bee

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »

I hate to answer a question with a question, but has anyone ever successfully raised Russian Bees in the deep south or the southern part of Texas
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 10:59:27 AM »

Charlie Harper raised Russians in the deep south for many years.

Of course the whole idea of taking a cold winter hardy bee and propogating them in Louisiana for many years was questionable to me. But that is the Government for ya!  grin

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next