Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 20, 2014, 06:47:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reid wishes to change rules on filibuster,guess it's because Dems are in majorit  (Read 882 times)
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« on: November 26, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »

Harry Reid was a prominent defender of the filibuster in 1995. This is when Dems wanted to filibuster court nominations. This had not been done before.
When republicans at the time threatened to limit filibusters he espoused  it was an all out  power grab by the GOP.An article from 2005:
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/04/11/reid_blasts_gop_threat_on_eliminating_filibuster/
But I guess now that he is majority leader he has rethought his views and turned into a hypocrite,no I think he already was.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/nov/7/reid-moves-limit-gop-filibusters/
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »

BuzzBee, why do you want your paid representatives to go to Washington and sit on their hands all day like 2 year old babies?  Is that how progress is made in the private sector?  Back in 95, nobody knew the Republicans would become such babies and spend so much of their time (scratch that.... OUR time) filibustering.
sterling
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 06:50:27 PM »

BuzzBee, why do you want your paid representatives to go to Washington and sit on their hands all day like 2 year old babies?  Is that how progress is made in the private sector?  Back in 95, nobody knew the Republicans would become such babies and spend so much of their time (scratch that.... OUR time) filibustering.

Thats is funny Blue. grin Harry Reid has been sitting on his hands for the last three years. He has not produced a budget at all and is required by law to do so. He said in a statment after the debt ceiling debate in Aug. of 2011 that he was not going to do anything until after the election. And he hasn't. This deal that they are up against now that has to be fixed before Jan. 1  could have been solved months ago if Harry Reid would do his job. The house has sent bill after bill to the senate and Harry Reid has not, will not bring them up for debate. So if Washington is sitting on their hands look at Democrate Harry Reid first.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »

it is, but a lot of dems are not to fond of the idea because they have used it when they were minority.  it will be interesting to see how far this goes.  

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »

I imagine both sides do things all the time (filibuster rules, redistricting) that benefit their party at the time.

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
sterling
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »

I imagine both sides do things all the time (filibuster rules, redistricting) that benefit their party at the time.

If it is OK I'm going to agree with you on this one.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 07:19:10 AM »

We saw what these clowns did for 2 years when they had the Senate and House.I think with current talks of only raising revenues and these people not being able to find anything worthy of eliminating spending wise is problematic.
We need a brake pedal somewhere.
I think spending cuts should only need a 51 percent vote but increases and raising taxes should have a 2/3 vote.
Remember Harry Reid thinks it is inconceivable to cut funding for cowboy poetry in Nevada.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/03/some-perspective-on-the-spending-fight-and-what-a-cowboy-poetry-festival-has-to-do-with-it/
In these dire financial mess at the federal level there should not be one program ineligible for cuts.
 If the filibuster slows the spending in any way,I am for it. Perhaps it is time to shut down the government again.
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »

If it is OK I'm going to agree with you on this one.
A-okay with me Smiley

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
FRAMEshift
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 08:59:20 AM »

Perhaps it is time to shut down the government again.

Oh yes, let's do that!  Every time Republicans threaten to shut down the government, voters realize how much they like having a functioning government.  It helps Democrats every time.  Recall that it was Speaker Gingrich who caved to Clinton the last time the government was shut down.  It didn't hurt that the first thing Clinton closed down was the passport office.  When rich people couldn't get passports for their Italian vacations, the Republicans heard about it fast.  I laughed for a week.

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »

the purpose of divided government is so that you do have conflict and compromise is forced.  FRAME, if you want a functioning government with no conflict, i suggest any one of the dictatorships or still existing communist countries.  they have solved the problem of conflict in government.

i don't have any problem shutting down the government.  the world will go.....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next