Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 24, 2014, 11:48:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still without power for days to come  (Read 1429 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: November 01, 2012, 06:55:05 PM »

UPDATE THURSDAY. Still no power but I have a ventless propane heater in the living area and we are warm, have hot water but all freezer/fridge stuff is gone.

So lucky that Sandy hit us but destroyed the coast 10 miles away. If you see Seaside Heights or Point Pleasant NJ than you are 10 miles from me.

We are so blessed to have a house with no damage and heat now and hot water here,there are thousands who are homeless with there homes either crushed buried under feet and feet of sand or washed out to the Atlantic. We are bless.

Hope you other sandy people are at least as well.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:39:50 PM »

UPDATE THURSDAY. Still no power but I have a ventless propane heater in the living area and we are warm, have hot water but all freezer/fridge stuff is gone.

So lucky that Sandy hit us but destroyed the coast 10 miles away. If you see Seaside Heights or Point Pleasant NJ than you are 10 miles from me.

We are so blessed to have a house with no damage and heat now and hot water here,there are thousands who are homeless with there homes either crushed buried under feet and feet of sand or washed out to the Atlantic. We are bless.

Hope you other sandy people are at least as well.

Good to hear, last year I had some of the same experiance when the April 28 tornado hit me a glancing blow.  It helped me to cope by using the time to read or re-read a tome or two.  I found that doing without running water was the hardest part.  Take heart.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:55:46 PM »

I know from other posts that the Beemaster knows his physics, but be careful out there with those gas heaters and generators.  When we lose power here due to a storm, there’s always at least 1 poor soul/family who doesn’t use common sense and gets asphyxiated trying to keep warm.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 06:08:20 AM »

Since it is not bitter cold be sure to keep a little fresh air flowing in . Hopefully you are at least keeping the chill off.Before the storm we fueled all of our cars to the top,made sure our propane cylinders were full  to cook and had plenty of dry goods on hand as well as lots of water  for consumption and water for toilet flushing. We have a lot of powdered milk also. In a pinch cooking oil and Peanut butter are great protein sources. P-nut butter the preferred for me!!.
 Hope they get your power on soon. I hope extra help was not turned away too quickly. I would think all extra utility workers would be kept on hand until everyone has lights.
Keep us posted John, we were fortunate enough to not need anything we stashed away.Power outages in our area were quickly dealt with  by pre positioned teams in our area and PPL has been spending a lot of money upgrading it's system and clearing right of ways inn our area.
Hope your lights are on soon!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 06:50:52 AM by buzzbee » Logged
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 06:10:05 AM »

Someone in PA ran their generator in their garage and the fumes creeped into the house. A sad story goes along with it.
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 07:59:19 AM »

Hello folks,

Sorry to hear about your recent storm.  Our media was filled with information about it.  Bluebee, the one death during cyclone Yasi was due to a generator.  The cyclone might have been stronger but the population density was far less.  It is good to hear with Sandy there were timely evacuations and warnings. I guess people are still feeling the effects of Yasi and other recent cyclones in the affected areas in Far North Queensland, although there has been a lot of building and emergency assistance. 

One of the worst effects though could not have been predicted.  Somehow a premier was elected and within just a few months has cut thousands of jobs in the state, from areas including health, fire services and police, using the cost of recent disasters as an excuse to do this.  I hope this does not happen in the USA and result in more problems of more unemployment and fewer people to do the same jobs, more welfare and yet less income tax for the government.

Here is an interesting comparison of recent cyclones/hurricanes.  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-30/hurricane-sandy-comparison-inline/4341764

Anyway, Beemaster, Buzzbee, it is great to hear from both of you and know you are still alive!

Lone
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 06:03:34 PM »

Thought I'd try writing a longer post and cut and paste it when I got wifi at work (which I get for just a few minutes while making rounds to boiler rooms on my base).

Our electric company told me that Wednesday we should have power restored which will be 9 days in a very dark residential neighborhood of 300 or so homes. I'm home now listening to a podcast as I type this. So glad I can recharge cellphones and iPod at work as well as refreeze water bottles for the cooler. We really don't have much fridge food in the cooler but want to keep it ready so when we get something we have a way to chill it.

Most of the food stores still are short on everything. Many were out of power or on generators for days. Lots if stuff was tossed for safety reasons.

I have a few hundred photos from www.app.com our area newspaper website - I took pics of the screen off my work computer to show my wife. These are the first images she has seen.

When Geoff from Australia visited here we went to the boardwalk in Seaside which is now gone along with hundreds of destroyed million dollar homes to rental bungalows.

I don't miss Internet or tv too much but I do miss movies and we just started watching the series Alphas and there's about 15 episodes to catch up with. We have one powerful FM radio talk station that keeps us informed as well as all the big AM stations in NYC too.

Out of my 11 coworkers in 9 different towns over a 30 mile area, 1 has power, 3 on generator and the rest roughing it.

My friend Mike and his brother waded in 4ft high water pulling a canoe filled with what they could save from their parents home which is destroyed. In that town now curfew from 7-5 is in place and police warn looters (they come in by boat) will be shot.

I think most of you have seen our governor Chris Cristie by now if you have followed this hurricane Sandy at all. He is likely a presidential candidate in 2016. He is a republican gov in a blue state and was begged to run this time. He loves nj and takes no crap. He is a real heavy guy that is a true no BS leader. Times like this you need someone tough and I believe none are tougher.

So I write this by candlelight at midnight Saturday morning not knowing what to say other than be thankful we lost nothing but some inconveniences while others gave nothing.

It gets old hearing though about people who live on the coasts deserve what they get. And same with earthquake zones, tornado alley and so on.

One thing most people overlook is NJ is the most densely populated state with nearly 7500 per square mile. This huge population is a real issue when talking still 3 million homes in NYC and NJ still without power.

Nothing close to this has happened here in recorded history although we have had hurricanes come this way just as we have tornadoes and wild fires. A few really mild earthquakes too.

No where is really safe and I think it sick anyone believes people deserve what they get. That is sick.

Finally about climate change. I respect everyone's opinion but I believe and always will it is cyclical and likely has happened thousands of times and will thousand more.

We just happen to be here and now and observing it. Have we contributed, I would say sure but I also believe Earth is a living entity that can and does cure itself by balancing whatever it needs too.

If humans get to be too much we will see a plague like never before with maybe a billion dead. Whatever it takes.

I wish as I sit humbled by Mother Earths mighty power and know that the GLOBAL WARMISTS couldn't sell that crap in a bag, so it became climate change. But I'm fairly curtain the majority of those mentioned in this paragraph are LIBERALS dressed in CENTRISTS clothing.

I also wish rathe :angel:r than (or along with gender) we had a little red or blue dot next to members willing to state their leanings - a white dot for those more in the middle. Maybe a left or right arrow lol.

But I this climate change opinions do a pretty good job of doing this already.

Gonna save my battery for listening to a zombie podcast radio play that is pretty good - it's called WE'RE ALIVE and entertaining except it is cut into 20 minute pieces with brief commercials.

Write you all again soon.

Ps. Tapatalk was not working so I am posting on the tiny web page. Ken could you repost this in the other Sandy topics. Thanks to all following. It felt good although tedious typing this out on the iPod. But I needed to do it. Peace. 

Follow us on TWITTER

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »

thanks for staying in touch with us.  glad that it helps.  gotta be pretty inconvenient,  but inconvenience is better that some other stuff that could happen, i guess.

i never figured people "get what they deserve" wherever they live.  as you point out, there is no place safe.  what does frustrate me to the screaming point is that people are so unprepared.  i have found that the more urban the area, the more unprepared the people.  the more urban the area, the more people expect things to be instantly fixed.
i think it's because they always have everything at their fingertips and no matter how  many times you warn them, they can't conceive of life without.  it's very frustrating to me to hear people complain that no one is there right away to help them when they couldn't be bothered to either follow instructions and get out, or be prepared to take care of themselves for a few days.

anyway, sounds like you guys are hanging in.  i'm glad that you are not without power in the middle of winter! 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »

Cross posted John Smiley
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »

Every place in the world can be considered a hazard area, with any type of natural disaster.  And don't look at the past 20 or 50 years of an area, but look at the past couple thousand years of history of an area and see those disasters that can happen at anytime.  No climate change involved or needed.

John, are they getting water and MREs out to your area or other supplies?
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 12:32:09 PM »

OH HAPPY DAYS... OH HAPPY DAYS...

Just minutes ago power restored, I know it could go down as other sections are brought back, but I'm home and typing this!!!

I do not forget the nearly million and a half customers within 20-30 miles that will not see electric or gas from many months - they are all but condemned and forced out if they hadn't evacuated. Our coastal towns are wiped out to a very great deal, massive populations that are now dispersed into shelters or with family elsewhere.

On a lighter note though, this is a happy surprise since we were told literally Wednesday several times.

Today is a day off for me as is tomorrow. I hadn't mentioned yet that several months back, while turning in my sleep I felt a very hot burn in my shoulder blade (I'm a lefty and of course it was my left side) it really didn't seem to even hurt until about a month in I noticed that my arm would kill me in the morning or I couldn't sleep on it at all and it got almost impossible to lift anything, even my arm itself above my chest.

Well... MRI later, torn rotator cuff, two of four muscles in my shoulder are completely torn and needs surgery. I'm trying to juggle my leave time, and believe I'll do this right after the new year so I have enough hours - post surgery states 3 months in a sling, we have NO light duty at work and I can not do my job impaired by a sling. So it will be OUT at least 3 months.

It has been painful lugging frozen bottles of ice abd laundry back and forth from work, I'm a sucky righty and my left hand grabs everything, causing me pain and always making me feel set back. I have had 6 therapy sessions and 5 to go for pre-op stretching and mobilization, but surgery will be coming - I just hope I can wait until the new year, if not - I will have to do what I need too.

MORE LATER in case we lose power for whatever reason, I don't want to lose what I've typed.

Follow us on TWITTER

BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 01:21:38 PM »

I felt a very hot burn in my shoulder blade ………….. it got almost impossible to lift anything, even my arm itself above my chest.

Yep, sure sounds like the rotator cuff.  Been there done that; well, not in my sleep though.  In my case some Physical Therapy remedied the problem, but rotator cuff injuries take a LONG time to heal.  I’m a lefty too and it was my left rotator cuff that went out as well.

Glad to hear power is back on.  It sure is a WONDERFUL thing to have; especially after doing without it for a while.
carlfaba10t
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »

beemaster: Glad to hear your power  restored,last time we had a power outage here i woke up to "NO COFFEE" being very cold outside and wet i lost no time in firing up the old generator and promptly plugin in electric coffee  maker plus lights.When coffee was done then start fire in wood stove.It can feel so good to be just a little bit independent and self supporting.
PS-- Put me down for a [ WHITE DOT] Ha. And hang tough. Smiley

Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 10:22:29 PM »

carlfaba10t

I just had to add, anyone with a Bruce Campbell Avatar is okay by me. I'm a white dotter if we kept it to three colors, but more pink or rose (can't think of a non-feminine color) but I lean right, but am tolerant of others - but surely I don't fall off the fence into the tomato patch.

About Bruce, few people know he is a beekeeper, he and his wife have a lavender farm and during a dry-spell in Hollywood it was a very good income. I had emailed back in forth with him before the forum start, so nearly a decade ago now, but we enjoyed some shared stories.

Follow us on TWITTER

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 08:40:06 AM »

Glad you are up and running boss man.

My father n law (in Long Beach) is likely having to move to a hotel. My wife and her sister have been scrambling to get them a generator and fuel from a mutual friend in Connecticut. They were able to accomplish that a few days ago but running low on fuel and the cold weather now will likely force them out.

He had a crew gut the first level of his home and he's been pretty resourceful with the food he had in his frig & freezer. Lots of grilling is what he did.

Praying they will get electricity soon.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next