Thanks everyone, the original problem was that when I put the tray back in the bees that were on the underside were trapped. I ended up trying smoke, moved a few but not to many, it is starting to get cold here, and was afraid the loss of the bees under would be hard on the hives. I waited and went back on a warmer day, still the same, tried the smoke again, same result, I brushed a few off, and slid the trays in. That took care of most of them, so I went back on a colder day with a box, took the tray out and brushed the remaining bees into the box, then dumped them on the landing board, seems to have worked. Dismantling the hive was a option as well, but at this late in the season, the least disruption to the hive as a whole was the way I decided to go, more work for me, but less for the bees. Maybee.
Thanks again. :-D