Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 20, 2014, 11:06:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead bees in front of new split  (Read 688 times)
Lone
Queen Bee

« on: October 24, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »

Hello,

The bee club helped me split some hives on the weekend with bought queens, and I brought one 10 framer to a new site in town on Sunday night.  It was getting too dark and we thought we wouldn't worry about an entrance reducer.  I checked today to make sure the queen had left the cage, and noticed dead bees on the ground in front of the hive.  The odd bee was bringing in pollen and when I opened the lid I saw bees in the hive, but I didn't want to inspect so soon and disturb the new queen.  I'll check again early next week.  What could have killed the bees?  I could only think it might be a robbing fight, or (I hope not) pesticide.  Has anyone experienced this with a new split?

Lone
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:46:46 PM »

how many dead bees.  a few and i wouldn't worry.  100's and i might.  some may have been killed in transport?  and cleaned out in the morning.  watch for normal activity and keep an eye out for robbing.  in a week or so, do a good check and make sure they are ok and the queen is doing her thing.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 02:00:34 PM »

I would bet on robbing if there were many bees there. 
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 02:13:46 AM »

Thanks folks,

I didn't think of that one, Kathy, and it is possible.  There would have been a few hundred dead bees I reckon.  I've reduced the entrance right down in case it was a robbing issue.  There are bees bringing in pollen.  I'll probably check for eggs on Tuesday in all the splits we did with new queens.

Lone
tryintolearn
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 10:12:23 AM »

last time i brought a nuc home i had to drive about 60 miles...next morning they had brought out the dead....i think the high winds of driving kills some of the bees...had me wondering if the queen could have succumbed...so i did a quick inspection and gladly she was there
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next