Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 23, 2014, 02:57:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stars Fell on Alabama.  (Read 1160 times)
kingbee
Queen Bee

« on: October 20, 2012, 10:35:14 PM »

179 years ago in 1833 the yearly Leonid meteor shower was so intense that it woke people from their sleep.   Tonight is the night of the return of a different meteor shower, the Orionid shower.  Best time to see it is 2 to 3 hours before Sun rise EDLST.  Expect 30 shooting stars per hour.  Maybe 10 years ago there was a Leonid shower here when sometimes 10 shooting stars were visible at one time.  The Leonid shower in 1833 was said to be so intense that you could read a news paper outside at midnight.  I have read some very funny accounts of the goings on in the country side back then.  Many of the statements and actions of the most ignorant of that time makes me think of people today defending Global Climate Change.

The 179 year old Leonid event was also the inspiration for Jazz singer Billie Holliday's song "Stars Fell on Alabama"

Set your alarm and go outside tonight and view it.  The more intense November Leonid shower from about 10 years ago won't be back in this area for another 90 years.  This may be your last next best chance to see a good meteor shower.

Billie Holiday: Stars Fell On Alabama (1957)

carlfaba10t
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 10:39:57 PM »

Sunday nite is supposed to be even better. Smiley

Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 10:50:13 PM »

clouds and rain sad

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called ďthe government.Ē They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 11:51:22 PM »

Sunday nite is supposed to be even better...

Different strokes fer different folks, I think that is because of your location on the face of the Earth.  Let us know how intense a show it was.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 12:38:10 AM »

OK Kingbee, Iíll take a look before I go to bed.  The Perseids are usually much better up here.  Iíve seen some pretty cool meteors over the years.  The best though was a perseid during the DAY.  Itís got to be a little bigger than a gain of dust to show up in broad daylight.  It produced a fireball with greens and reds and orange flashes. 

Clearing up outside here; Jupiter is nice and bright.  Clear = cold though.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »

Ya'll video it for me, I'll be in bed. 
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »

... Iíve seen some pretty cool meteors over the years.  The best though was a perseid during the DAY.  Itís got to be a little bigger than a gain of dust to show up in broad daylight.  It produced a fireball with greens and reds and orange flashes....

Ooh cool, space junk.  I am unsure about the reds and orange flashes, but the green is (at least in my opinion) almost surely copper.
David McLeod
Field Bee

Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »

The song has somehow become an unofficial state song or at least the title has since it is emblazoned on the vehicle tags. I've never really cared for it myself as it does not really speak to the greatness of my home state. Even though the official state song is an unknown 19th century piece by Julia Tutwiler it is much better as an official song. It even has a reference to bees in it's fourth verse.

Where the perfumed south-wind whispers,
Thy magnolia groves among,
Softer than a mother's kisses
Sweeter than a mother's song;
Where the golden jasmine trailing,
Woos the treasure-laden bee,
Alabama, Alabama
We will aye be true to thee!

Stars fell on Alabama, got put on the tag both as a marketing ploy and as a way to distract from the little red heart with the words "Heart of Dixie". For some reason that motto has been deemed offensive but the Alabama constitution of 1901 requires every vehicle tag to have the heart and motto. It used to be used as the center piece of the tag but in modern times it is reduced to a one inch heart stuck over in a corner.

Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 01:33:03 AM »

I thought that little ole band from Jacksonville, Florida wrote the unofficial state song for Alabama?
David McLeod
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »

For us common folks, depending on your personal tastes, it's either the boys from Gainesville or the boys from Fort Payne. I lean toward the boys from Fort Payne.

This line from their love song is deeply ingrained in me.

"I'm in the Heart of Dixie, Dixie's in the heart of me
Someday when luck finds a way
Somewhere high on Lookout Mountain
I'll just smile with pride and say
That my home's in Alabama"

No, for some reason when major gatherings of public or civic importance are held in my home state the Billie Holliday classic is always heard but never the official state tune (as a matter of fact the last I heard that one was in fourth grade alabama history) and never the rockabilly pair. (unless of course the gathering is a solicitation for votes)

Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »

I actually went out there several times to look, even with a clear sky....Nothin....Saturday and Sunday were both duds down here! Cry

kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 11:02:50 PM »

... Saturday and Sunday were both duds down here!...

Bout' the same here.  But it was an awesomely clear night, zip humidity, & zip skeeters. You could even see the Milky Way.  Besides, I sort of like to be up and about outside @ 3:00AM this time 'o' year.  Puts me in mind of hunts past if you know what I mean.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next