Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 29, 2014, 08:30:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard CAndy Makers..(Need Help)  (Read 2643 times)
beekeeper120
New Bee

« on: October 16, 2012, 09:52:16 PM »

So I attempted to make some hard honey candy and ran into a few problems. I used a recipe of 2 1/2 cups of honey and 1/4 c butter. I heated the honey on med heat and all went well until I got to the hard ball stage. From hard ball to hard crack it kept getting burnt. I tried putting a 1/2 cup water at the start but ran into the same problem. What am I doing wrong, I even tried lowering the temp down one number on my stove.
(thank goodness I had extra honey laying around hehe)

Few other things I did...I have a candy therometer and watched /kept close eye on it, I reduced the heat a little to little avail. should I just skip the butter and just use honey?

Any help you all can give me would be greatful..
nella
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »

When I need to scald milk, melt sugar, butter, etc, I use a two qt. pyrex measuring cup in the microwave and it doesn't scorch or burn.
paindragon1
New Bee

<vacant space>

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »

This is from the FaceBook group.

Emil Kaluza said: Add 2 qts water to a 5 gallon stainless pot and 1 qt chamomile tea, steeped and cooled. Bring to boil. When boiling add parts of 25lb bag of plain sugar, mixing as you do. Monitor heat, keeping as close to 230 degrees as possible, adding sugar as able. When all the sugar is added, stir constantly and boil at 230 degrees. After a 10 minute boil at that temp, ad 1 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar. Remove from heat and let cool (this will take hours) to below 200 degrees. Whisk or stir rapidly until it begins to whiten. Can be down to 150 degrees. Pour into forms and let sit all night. They will harden, dry out, and whiten to a rock candy consistency and the bees will moisten and munch. Very easy and clean method of Winter feeding. There are hundreds of fondant and bee candy recipes out there, but I've reduced mine to the basics, though you can add a pinch of salt with water(I do), or add a quarter cup of lemon juice (I don't), or replace cream of tarter with 1 tsp of vinegar per pound of sugar ( I don't, never had a problem with cream of tartar). You can add 5 lb of Soy Flour for protein if you don't have much pollen in your hive. You can feed now as I do, but ants will be a problem until Winter, when its feed, close, forget, not having to open and lose heat from your hives until Feb

Veni vidi, fecit mulsi.
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »

Straight honey will always burn before reaching hard crack stage...too much other good stuff in it besides the four "oses". That's why hard honey candy is not on the market.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 01:54:15 PM »

Oh, you can find what they call "honey candy" but it is regular ol' hard sugar candy with a liquid honey center.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next