Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 20, 2014, 06:38:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poison Ivy  (Read 1607 times)
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« on: October 12, 2012, 09:07:02 PM »

Yours truly has just suffered with poison ivy for about 2 weeks Sad Sad Sad

Seemed like I might have to scratch for an eternity, but then fairly suddenly it relented.  My question is why does poison ivy/bumps seem to be going strong one day and then fairly abruptly stop?  The reports I read on line (most of which seem to be completely different from my experiences with PI), say that if you donít wash off the oil within like 10 minutes, it soaks into your skin and canít be removed.  So if the oil stays put, why do the bumps kind of switch off after 2 weeks?    Is the oil chemically altered by the bodyís reaction making it inert after 2 weeks?  Does the body eventually decide to stop reacting to the oil and stop generating bumps?  Does the oil flake off with old skin cells?

The other interesting observation I would report is Iíve also just gotten rid of a nasty cold/flu and the poison ivy seemed to relent as the cold got better.  Is there a correlation?
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 09:25:40 PM »

I'm not a doctor, but I was told your body sends white blood cells to areas attacked by baddies to fight them off. The more needed, the more manufactured. I would think you were fighting two maladies and the body won both battles at approx. the same time.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 10:02:54 PM »

Personally, I recommend going to the docs for a steroid shot. It seems as though I can get that stuff by looking at it-skin turns purple when I do. With a steroid shot, its instant relief and is usually cleared up within a day or so.
BabcockFarms
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 01:08:25 AM »

My doctor told to put bleach on the affected area as soon as possible. I have tried it and it seems to neutralize the reaction. I follow up afterwards with  steroids.

Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<
RC
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 07:28:14 AM »

Wash it with Dawn and hot water as hot as you can tolerate it. Wash it often. It works. Kills fleas,too.
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 09:01:27 AM »

So this is what I've learned from this thread so far. iddee is not a doctor and RC got rid of his fleas with Dawn soap.  grin

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 09:16:50 AM »

I'm one of the lucky ones and don't seem to react to it. My son on the other hand reacts very badly to it. Domeboro works well for him as it dries up the blisters and keeps it from spreading.

JP, I'm sure you're thankful for that flea tip...maybe you'll stop scratchin' that beard so much now! grin

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
RC
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »

My brother in law says Dawn will get rid of crabs. Anybody care to verify that?
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »

My brother in law says Dawn will get rid of crabs....

I can't verify that but who would want to eat a mess of crabs after they were boiled in a pot of Dawn?   rolleyes laugh angel
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 03:14:19 PM »

Ain't it kinda early for cabin fever to be setting in? WOW, what's it gonna be like in Jan.?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 05:55:24 PM »

Thanks for SOME of those ideas guys  grin  

I used to get poison ivy more often when I lived in TN.  My Volunteer friends also told me that soap and lots of showers is the best way to reduce the poison ivy reaction.  It works, but itís still a slow recovery for me.  Wow, I like K9s solution if it instantly solves the problem!  

One satisfying aspect near the end of a poison ivy outbreak is the ability to scratch and scratch and scratch until your heartís content and not spread the stuff anymore!  

Like iddee said, I also heard the reaction to the poison ivy oil was due to the area getting attacked by white blood cells.  Thatís got me wondering if a person was to get re-exposed to poison ivy just after recovering from an earlier exposure, would their body react again or not?  Any beeks up for a science experiment?  grin  
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 07:24:39 PM »

I'll do the experiment for you, Blue. You can rub the oil right on me and we will see what happens.   evil   grin

When your hand heals, you can rub some more on me.  evil

*Shel Silverstein*
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 10:13:53 PM »

grin 
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 10:40:30 PM »

Thanks for SOME of those ideas guys  grin 

Wow, I like K9s solution if it instantly solves the problem! 

I'm telling ya, its well worth the trip to a doc. Itching has usually stopped within a few hours. Ive had that crap every where imaginable and a shot is the only thing that works with consistency.
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 05:58:35 PM »

Hardwood, never had fleas in the beard that I know of but those darn SHBs that I bee quicked outta that camp in Laffite I told you about sure sought refuge in my beard. That was quite irritating & honestly had me jumping outta my skin a bit. Just might have to keep some Dawn with me for next time, hopefully there won't be a next time though. Fingers crossed!  grin

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 09:45:40 PM »

... Ive had that crap every where imaginable ...

When I go deer hunting I find that a small roll of Charmin in an empty coffee can stops poison oak and ivy before it gets started.  embarassed  embarassed  grin
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 10:38:14 PM »

Iddee that is quite the generous offer but Iím going to have to passÖ..  I need to keep my hands poison ivy free so Kingbee can teach me how to Noodle.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 10:46:11 PM »

grin grin grin

As a kid, the other kids would rub it on me just to try and make me break out. I guess it never dawned on them that they were exposing themselves, and I was too mean a little brat to tell them.

*Shel Silverstein*
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 02:31:34 AM »

Iddee that is quite the generous offer but Iím going to have to passÖ..  I need to keep my hands poison ivy free so Kingbee can teach me how to Noodle.

Come on down.  I bee looking to buy a jet boat.  It'll follow a sweaty mule down a dusty road and get you right up against the bank where the biguns hang out.  Swimming trunks optional.  Just watch out for those old "no shoulders" dropping out of the trees and into the boat when you go under a low limb.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next