Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 24, 2014, 03:54:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discovering he is a conservative  (Read 451 times)
Sunnyboy2
House Bee

« on: October 24, 2012, 02:52:33 AM »

Reading the political, I have been inspired to share this true story.

Several years ago, 4+, my daughter's boyfriend was having dinner at our home.  For a time the conversation was on politics and taxes.  This sophomore in high school confidently explained that the "rich" people should pay more taxes so more services could be given to the less wealthy.  I was annoyed as he rebuffed any argument against more tax burdens.  Conversation moved on to different topics.

I then asked if anybody had heard about the new plan the school board was thinking about putting in place.  They all said "no" so I explained:
"We'll Dave, ( boyfriend) I am sure you get good grades.  Megan has said your smart.  I know Megan and her sisters are all near 4.0."
He said he did have very good grades, too.
I continued.  "The school board has cited studies that show there is very little difference in scholarships or college admissions between kids with 4.0 or 3.8.  But, some kids with low GPAs, like 1.8 or 1.9, getting to a 2.0+ would make a HUGE difference in getting into a college.  So what they want to do is take a few grade points from the better students, just drop them from a 3.9 to a 3.7, and give those to the poor student to get them to a 2.0 or better."
He looked confused and stunned, so did my three daughters.
"That's not fair." He said.
"Why not?" I said, trying to look surprised, "you guys won't really be hurt, and the bad students could really get helped."
"I Worked Hard For My Grades, I shouldn't get punished just cause I did well!" He explained with more heat than I expected.
I smiled and said "Some people feel the same way about the money they earn."
My girls started to chuckle, and David just said, "oh, I never thought of it that way."
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 07:40:53 PM »

grin
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 09:19:30 PM »

That is a great story. I will have to remember that the next time someone brings up the tax more subject.
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next