Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar water and mold  (Read 3139 times)

Offline dfizer

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 288
  • Gender: Male
Sugar water and mold
« on: September 17, 2012, 03:27:47 PM »
Is there any easy way to keep mold from growing in the sugar water?  Please advise.

Offline Finski

  • Galactic Bee
  • ******
  • Posts: 3928
  • Gender: Male
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:04:07 PM »
.
The syrup container must be clean. Mold does not grow in pure syrup.
Syrup gets some dirty, like a dead bee or a piece of grass.

Over 50% syrup stops mold growing and fermenting but the surface gets condensation water from cover  and surface starts fermenting. ...fermenting forms more water. .. Keep the syrup on hive so short time that will not happen.

I get often black mold onto feeder's surface, but it is better then wash away.
One guy said that he had not washed feeders for 15 years. They are really black he said


.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline VolunteerK9

  • Super Bee
  • *****
  • Posts: 1647
  • Gender: Male
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 04:04:56 PM »
Refrigeration is what I do. I have heard of others adding either cider vinegar, citric acid or even bleach to curb mold. Higher concentrations of sugar to water such as 2:1 usually last longer against mold growth than 1:1 mixes.

Offline iddee

  • Galactic Bee
  • ******
  • Posts: 6380
  • Gender: Male
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 05:31:14 PM »
My bees take the sugar water and leave the mold. I clean the jar when empty.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline KD4MOJ

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 695
  • Gender: Male
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 08:02:35 AM »
 I do 5:3 syrup with alittle ACV thrown in. I noticed that after several weeks, I do get some of the black "wispy" mold around the top but the syrup is still good. The humming birds also tend to like this mix although alittle heavy for them.

 ...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Jim 134

  • Super Bee
  • *****
  • Posts: 2287
  • Gender: Male
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:04:39 AM »
Is there any easy way to keep mold from growing in the sugar water?  Please advise.

1 Gallon Sugar water @ 1 Tablespoon of vinegar or cream of tartar will slow the mold down a lot.


   BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:36:54 PM by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Jim 134

  • Super Bee
  • *****
  • Posts: 2287
  • Gender: Male
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 10:06:39 AM »
I do 5:3 syrup with alittle ACV thrown in. I noticed that after several weeks, I do get some of the black "wispy" mold around the top but the syrup is still good. The humming birds also tend to like this mix although alittle heavy for them.

 ...DOUG
KD4MOJ


What as ACV ???


    BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline VolunteerK9

  • Super Bee
  • *****
  • Posts: 1647
  • Gender: Male
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »

What as ACV ???


    BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)


Apple Cider Vinegar

Offline Hemlock

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 631
  • Gender: Male
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 05:49:19 PM »
ADD one tablespoon of 'Brags' Apple Cider Vinegar to Each gallon of Syrup. 

You will not see any mold; lasts for months!


Offline Michael Bush

  • Universal Bee
  • *******
  • Posts: 14143
  • Gender: Male
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
If you boil the water it helps.  If you make it 5:3 (or 2:1 if you can) it keeps longer.  If you lower the pH (add acid) it keeps longer.  I make it 5:3 and add a gram of Vitamin C to the boiling water before adding the sugar for each gallon of resulting syrup.
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen

Offline KD4MOJ

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 695
  • Gender: Male
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 03:07:06 PM »
If you boil the water it helps.  If you make it 5:3 (or 2:1 if you can) it keeps longer.  If you lower the pH (add acid) it keeps longer.  I make it 5:3 and add a gram of Vitamin C to the boiling water before adding the sugar for each gallon of resulting syrup.

Very interesting Michael. Never thought of Vitamin C.

I boil myself and I do still have some sugar left in the center even after stirring about 5 minutes. Can't imagine how hard it would be to mix without boiling (5:3).

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Finski

  • Galactic Bee
  • ******
  • Posts: 3928
  • Gender: Male
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 03:09:00 AM »
.
I wonder why to put ingredients into syrup.


When you  give a proper dosage to bees, they suck syrup so quickly that no mold can generate. ...and keep feeder clean.

Often guys are mad to avoid chemicals but now it is nice to feed them. When we talk about varroa, give nothing, but normal feeding, give what ever comes into mind!
 - strange....


In our country thymol is popular stuff to prevent syrup fermenting.

.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Hemlock

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 631
  • Gender: Male
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »
Hi Finski,

You are correct.  Much of the time Bees take the syrup too fast for it to mold.  However, at some point they begin to take it much slower.  This is when a Natural preservative comes in handy.  No one wants to dump syrup or store the remainder over winter.  

Beeks like all manner of different things.  Thymol sounds like a great idea.  ACV does the job well and the bees don't seem to mind.  Plus there's that rumor that ACV aids against Nosema....


Offline Finski

  • Galactic Bee
  • ******
  • Posts: 3928
  • Gender: Male
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 01:57:25 AM »
.
It is sure that if you keep over a week syrup on the hive,  it takes mold.
But WHY you do so.  give to the hive such amount that it takes it in during 2 days.
You should learn  the speed and amount

And make such  dosages syrup that you need not save it to next summer.
  i save flour sugar very often.

I weigh my  hives with bathroom balance when 2/3 out of winter
sugar has feeded.
Then some hives are full. Some need feeder box more and some need two boxes.
I bye 20 kg sugar per hive and that is amount what I should feed.

Hives have brood more or less and they do not take syrup with same speed.
They need time that brood emerge. Some take food in duringtwo days.

.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Pearl City Apiary

  • New Bee
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Re: Sugar water and mold
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »
I have grown fond of Pro Health.  Every time I need to feed I use Pro Health in the syrup.  I had a few gallons in the shed all summer with most days over 100° in the shed and 5 months later the syrup was perfectly fine with zero mold.

Dumped it in some containers and open fed it.

 

anything