Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 28, 2014, 01:33:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: quarantine??  (Read 512 times)
rober
Field Bee

« on: September 15, 2012, 03:22:56 PM »

last night i brought home the nuc that i'd left at a house where i did a removal. the hive was in a limb that had fallen.the hive was small, queenless, nearly broodless & had very little stored honey. when i opened the limb to remove the bees i saw 2 hive beetles. this morning i opened the hive where i had placed the comb that came out of the tree. it was loaded with beetles. when i opened the nuc there were a lot of beetles & beetle larva on the bottom board. i killed all the beetles & larva i found. since this hive is queenless i combined these bees with another stronger hive. in retropsect i'm thinking it might be a good idea to put these feral colonies in a seperate  yard to keep from infesting my other colonies with pests.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 09:09:50 PM »

I would bet money that the beetles smelled that queen less hive and ran in like a free buffet from right around your yard.   
rober
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »

most of them were in the nuc that was left at the site of the removal. i guess beetles at both locations acted on the oppurtunities. for the few bees that were retrieved it was almost not worth the effort.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next