Annette, I removed most all the comb, then smoked them from the cavity towards/in the set up. After they had all exited I used some bee quick to keep them out of the cavity.
I realized there was some more honey comb inside a void that was running the left side of the tree (my left as I'm facing the new set up from the backside of the tree) which I cut out after dark. Once this pocket was opened I was able to remove what comb was left.
Incidentally there were about a thousand more bees in that section of the tree that I had to combine with the majority of the bees that were already in the new set up. (which btw, I had already sealed and placed in my truck.)
I had to take the set up from the truck, place the hive back onto the tree and allow the remaining bees to enter the hive.
I left to go home around ten o'clock that night.