Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 20, 2014, 01:40:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it to late for Supers?  (Read 426 times)
keito
New Bee

« on: September 03, 2012, 08:58:44 AM »

My two hives have been building steadily all summer and now both boxes are about 90% with comb, honey, brood, pollen etc. I have been feeding them sugar syrup also all
Summer. Should I go ahead and put on a super?  With the onset of winter coming I was curious if I should wait. Of course I am located in Northern Mississippi? thanks for the
advice.
2Sox
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:14:20 PM »

I never run supers but for the heck of it I put queen excluders on two of my hives just to see how these two would do with the golden rod and aster flow up here.  And it has already begun strong.  I haven't taken any honey from my colonies this season, except for a couple of frames. The drought was bad.  Just taking from the rich and giving to the poor - so to speak.  And that's what I'll do with any honey they put in these two supers.  Will start feeding heavy in a few days and hope for the best.

I'd say you have nothing to lose by putting on supers.  Don't leave your syrup on if you do.  And just be sure you leave enough stores for your bees.

"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism
keito
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »

Thanks for the information I will continue on carefully. I have lost two hives this summer and don't want to take any chances.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next