This is my first year of beekeeping and I keep seeing all different numbers for mite counts.
I started three hives this spring from three pound packages. Two have done very well and one has struggled(lots of dead and crawling bees in front of hive plus lost queen).
I did my first sticky board mite count and got just about 100 mites in 28 hours on each of the hives. My best hive actually had 50 dead bees on it, several of which had visible mites on them.
situation is really bad. You need treatment at once. You need not count any more.
Formic acid and thymol treatments are meant to broodhives.
Oxalic acid destroyes brood too much.
Sugar dusting is uneffective.