Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 01, 2014, 01:16:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New York Times colmunist Author Brisbane's final column  (Read 598 times)
kingbee
Queen Bee

« on: August 27, 2012, 12:24:40 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/opinion/sunday/success-and-risk-as-the-times-transforms.html?_r=1

The above link is to the final Sunday column of the outgoing New York Times, lets say “internal editor and reporter,” his name is Author Brisbane.   Brisbane’s job is not a permanent position.  The “inside” editorship is only for two years then a new “inside” editor is appointed from an outside newspaper.   The duties of the “inside” reporter is to be the conscious of the Times and to report and comment on the overall quality, or gross defects of character as well as the more innocent foibles he or she finds with the New York Times’ news room, or with the columns appearing in the Times. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/opinion/sunday/success-and-risk-as-the-times-transforms.html?_r=1

I hope you enjoy reading Brisbane's final Times column.  Feel free to comment.
deknow
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »

...very astute, thanks for posting it.  He is spot on about everyone developing their own personal brands, and that a top notch fact checking dept is the core around which to build something valuable...I think it's more than something to sell the brand around, it could end up as a contractable service.

deknow
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:07:50 PM »

One reader remarked at the end of Brisbane's column, that he had the NY Times delivered to maybe 4 or more states as he moved around the country.  No more, he canceled his subscription when the Times editors started writing and spelling like I do.  I do know of several local daily papers who dismissed their proof readers 15 or 20 years ago to save money, long before the Internet became so widespread.  These proof readers were normanly retired little old lady English teachers who only worked part time.  It seems to me that this is penny wise and dollar stupid since the quality of the prose these papers turned out started dropping like a shot mallard while their syntax challenged editors and reporters salary took off like rocket, some salaries soaring into the mid 6 figure range.  Some of these papers are weekly rags now, with a 5 column format, and no syndicated columnist, the rest are headed for the for-real newspaper morgue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next