Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 23, 2014, 01:50:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pigs  (Read 1072 times)
hilltophermit
New Bee

« on: August 26, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »

its been many, many (many!) years since i raised pigs, but I'm ready to start again. I intend to start with 4 to 6 pigs. I would like to use an electric fence to enclose about an acre. Any one use electric on pigs before, I haven't. any thoughts, advice, pros and cons? are their any pig "boards" such as this one on the net.

Thanks, from the hilltop.
oliver
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:26:52 AM »

We used to turn pigs in the garden.(1/4 acre), in the fall..Single hot wire, keep it low so they hit it with their nose, about  16in..never had one get out..dl
Cparagone
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 03:21:10 PM »

Yes keep the wire low like a few inches, just keep it free of weeds so it doesn't short out constantly
triple7sss
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 11:13:25 AM »

Never fenced in as large an area as you are going to do but just like Oliver and Cparagone said, keep it relatively close to the ground 12" - 16" and they will grub right up to the edge and as far under as their noses will reach.  In smaller sections we could even get a person on each corner and move the fence...pigs and all...just by pulling up posts and walking slowly.

And keep and eye on them and tell me if this happens - after they've kind of figured the whole thing out every once in a while one pig will sort of nudge his buddy into the fence to see if it is on.  It's a little funny to watch...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next