Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 30, 2014, 07:21:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Booze and Beer  (Read 7118 times)
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 06:18:36 PM »

Belevedre vodka (chilled and neat)

Stag's Leap wines are some of my favorites.
and Yes I will drink Merlot. However I prefer a cabernet or a bouredoux. Dry wines are prefered , sweet wines and ports are not to my taste. I like wine with a nice dinner.

Beer:
Sierra Nevada (excellent brewery) and one of the few american beers I like .
Guinness
Boddingtons
Kirin
Tsing-Toa

There is a mixed drink made in Florida known as Sex with a Gator. It is a layered drink of Chamboard, Jeiger, Pineapple juice, and Midori. That would put me into a 12 step program if I had no will power.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
amymcg
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 09:38:39 AM »

Beer:

Sam Adams
Murphy's
Smithwicks
Bass
Harp

Wine:
Yellow Tail Cab/Merlot
Ruffino Chianti Riserva Ducale
Red Truck

Don't drink much liquor, but I won't pass up a nice single malt scotch, or Power's Irish Whiskey.
randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 09:53:42 AM »

beer and wine for me.
Bud Ice for beer.
I prefer red wine like Pinot (Meridian), Shiraz (Yellow Tail).
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2006, 04:37:32 AM »

I'll drink anything that's liquid and non-alcholic.  I've scraped too may dead drunks from out of mangled metal containers to imbibe.
Me give me Gator-aid or give me death--it balances my electrolites and actually aides my diabetes (another good reason for not imbibing).

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 11:01:10 AM »

pa there are a few good meaderys around now and you can get some commercial meads in the wine section of larger liquor stores but by far the most popular (and best tasting) source of mead is home brewing!

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
qa33010
Field Bee

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 12:27:14 PM »

asleitch,

I have a question about pubs and B&B's and their drafts.  Are they more likely to have a local beer or a larger companies beer on tap?  The reason I ask is, a buddy and I were hitchhiking through the U.K. in fall 1982 and we stopped at Norwich, Kings Lynn, Ames and back to Kings Lynn and various points in between.  We spent most time in Kings Lynn and I had a blast.  My buddy actually wound up marrying a woman he met, while we were there, in Ames later on in life.  Anyway the point is that each pub and B&B we stopped at the bitters tasted different in each place.  He mainly drank the lager but he never said anything about the taste, other than to say beer is beer.

In the seventies I was stationed TDY at RAF Coltishall (I think I spelled it wrong) and noticed then it was different on base opposed to in town.

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 01:19:15 PM »

Making beer and wine is another hobby of mine and as for Mead, I have 5gal of chocolate mead that is done fermenting and clearing as I write this.  I also have a gal of pyment (honey and grape juice) that is about ready to bottle and a gal of melomel(honey w/fruit) in this case it is oranges and raisins.  As for beers I have 5 gal of porter that I just tapped last week and just started a 5 gal batch of india pale ale. To asleitch  Michael jackson ( not the weird-o) is the man that came up with that alfa acid scale for measureing hops along with many other great ideas.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 01:22:44 PM »

My favorite adult beverage:

Mead.  The kind in my basement. grin

My kids like it too rolleyes

Rick
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 02:04:39 PM »

Red wines and beer.
Beer:
Paulaner Heffe weissen- Red stripe , No IPA's as they are to Hoppy, Belgian blondes, Yuengling and  Anchor Steam. Depends on activity and temperature. The more active and hotter , the lighter the beer.

Love experimenting w/ red wines (tasting) and am making my very first batch of a Italian Sangiovese which is in the primary and two gall of mead are in the secondary fermenter. Cant wait to taste!

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
ooptec
House Bee

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 04:41:28 PM »

In order of preference

1 - Beer ...... Home made, start in fall w/ales then winter switch to lagers. Lately been experimenting w/late hopping as like it hoppy         but not too bitter
2 - Vodka martinis ....... Wet, not dry and like the polish potato vodkas instead of all the other grain ethanol
3 - Marguiritas ......... Juice of 1 lime, 1tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salr 2oz tequilia, tons of ice (less mix less overhang IMHO)

and occasionally

4a - Whine ....... Home made from pails of fresh juice, Zinfandel blush seems the one that gets done the most
4b - Mead ....... Home made.

cheers

peter

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2007, 05:30:07 PM »

Not much of a drinker here but I do prefer sweet wines. A friend who may be posting on here any day now is almost done with a batch of mead, can't wait to try the finished product. Tried it in the preliminary stages when it was cloudy and very sweet, it was good then. I like a really cold beer every now and then usually a micro brewery type like Sam Adams. Other than that, if I'm in a social setting I like tropical type drinks with rum and fruit juices. A friend's anunt is from Germany and the woman can cook and make anything. I've had her elderberry wine and banana bread on more than one ocassion, fantastic!.

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2007, 07:19:49 PM »

Not a heavy drinker, but when I do partake, I like Crown Royal with a splash of Sprite or 7 Up. If Crown is not available, Segrams V.O. Gold will do just fine.

Steve 

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2007, 09:28:11 PM »

I like Corona, with or without the lime wedge. I used to drink Miller Lite but once I was diagnosed with A-Fib. I quit drinking for awhile. Then, occasionally, I would drink, then have an A-Fib episode. I attributed this to drinking cheap beer So I tried a few different kinds. Corona is what I've settled with now but I cant swill it down like I used to other beers. After laying off every now and then a couple of Coronas really tastes good! It makes me feel good too! Unfortunately, theres a fine line for me between feeling good and ending up in the hospital trying to get my heart rythm back to normal....Shoot, man.....Just talking about this really makes me want one!!
 But, you know what I'm gonna do??
 Go make a nice cold drink of GATORADE!!!...Woo wooo!!! Party time!!...Yep!....I'm the party animal!!! Its not even eight thirty and Im gonna go wash down my ambien and about 4 other medications!!...Then, I'm gonna hop in bed and strap a C-Pap machine to my head(I know some of you know what that is!) And think about a nice, cold Corona...Zzzzzz.....
 Yalls friend,
john

johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2007, 09:33:31 PM »

Oh yeh....I used to do Crown.
 If you like Crown, you might want to try "Canadian Hunter"....It taste like Crown but costs about the same as Seagrams 7.
 If you like Tequila but not the "Kick of a Horse" try "Tequila Rose".Its kind of a sissy drink but it tastes GREAT!!..Kinda pricey too.
yalls friend
john

TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2007, 10:32:17 PM »

I dont drink all the time, got to sleep some times  Wink  evil  grin , not really,  I drink a little but not much, Beer mostly (Bud light , Michelob , Heineken) but will splurge on the hard stuff on occasion (testing mostly) home made is the best  evil  tongue , and mixed drink of choice is a frozen (Patron) margarita, I'm not a wine drinker at all  Lips Sealed , the best thing to do with wine is make grappa out of it.....
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 12:05:56 AM by TwT » Logged

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
taipantoo
House Bee

Location: Merrimac, Massachusetts, 01860, United States of America

Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2007, 10:42:18 PM »

I'm a hop head and I like my I. P. A.'s!
I try to drink local beers when I'm out and about.
I make my own beer, ales for the summer and I keg lagers for the winter.
Sometimes I make a ginger beer for Christmas.
Not that sissy summer stuff you make in the fridge with lemon slices, but a real hard core lager with a lot of hops, like in my IPA's, and an equal amount of sliced ginger (not peeled) in the same amount and at the same times as I add my hops - 30 minutes, 15 minutes, and at the end of the boil.
Great cold weather beer.
That ginger can really heat you up.
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 10:53:48 PM »

My first favorite is long island ice tea. Second would be rum and last would be beer.

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2007, 08:28:28 AM »

John, I know what a c-pac is.  My Brother-in-Law would probably not be alive this day if he didn't have his machine!!!!  I don't know how his wife can stand to sleep with him, but she does, I think it is even like air conditioning for her on a hot summer night.  Beautiful day, great life. Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
ooptec
House Bee

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2007, 05:03:38 PM »

Hey tiapantoo,

Here are a couple of my favorite recipes to try maybe

Ginger Beer 23 Liters

* 6 lbs. - Light (D)ried (M)alt (E)xtract
    * 1 oz.  - Kent Goldings  (2 min.)
    * 1  - lemon juice ┬Ż zest
    * 1 - lime juice ┬Ż zest
    * 1 Tbsp. - Irish moss
    * 1 kg.  - Fresh ginger root, grated (YES 2.2 lbs.)
    * WYeast #2001 Pilsen Urquel Lager

Total Boil 60 minutes

Add D.M.E., 3/4 of the ginger, all the lemon and lime juices (minus zest)

Irish moss last 15 minutes.

Add rest of ginger, last 5 minutes.

Hops and zest, for the last 2 minutes.

Sparge into as cold as possible water. When temperature is down to around 80┬░F add yeast. After 16-24 hours drop temperature and lager at 40 - 45┬░F till looks like is settling down. Then rack into secondary and leave till done and clear.

I use glass carboys for primary and secondary fermenters.

Also

This great for hop heads like us (?)

2Kg (4.4lbs) Pale DME
650g (1.5lbs) Honey
1oz choice of hops boil 60 mins
1oz choice of hops boil 30 mins
1Tbsp Irish Moss
1oz choice of hops boil 10 mins
1oz choice of hops boil 2 mins

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

cheers

peter

Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2007, 07:46:21 AM »

My all time favorite beer has to be Alaskan Amber.
I love J├Ągermeister!
There's a meadery near by me in Sultan, Wa. called Sky River Brewing that makes an awesome mead.  They offer mead in Sweet, Semi-Sweet, and Dry.  Havent tried the dry yet, but love the semi-sweet.
My wife gave me a home brewing kit for Christmas with all the fixings to make my own batch of mead.  Can't wait!

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next