Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 01:40:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: proud of my place in life  (Read 1220 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: August 08, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/toad-suck-arkansas-voted-most-unfortunate-town-name-194706672.html

this was PMed to me.  thought it was good enough to share.  maybe the mailer thought i'd be embarrassed, but i don't think 3rd place is anything to be embarrassed about!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Boom Buzz
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:44:19 AM »

I had wondered whether Boring, OR was a real town or just your humorous commentary on where you live.  Now I know the answer.  Though I never have thought of Oregon as boring.

Now I have one that didn't make the top ten list.  Though I have a Longmont, CO address, I actually live closer to Hygiene, CO.  Many people are slightly repulsed by the town being called Hygiene, or they at least have a funny reaction to it.  But I have lived here so long that I forget this effect on people.  It used to have a tuberculosis sanitarium (which purportedly housed Doc Holiday at one time), thus the name.

I think I'd rather live in Hygiene than Toad Suck.   rolleyes

John

Grandpa Jim
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:43:48 PM »

I am disappointed, our local towns, Blue Ball, Intercourse and Paradise, PA were not even in the running.  Maybe we could help out Boring, OR?   My Dad always commented as we passed the highway exit sign "Intercourse Exit Here".  He would say that lane is aways parked full in the evening? 
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 03:05:03 PM »

They didn't look very well. There's also a Climax, NC and it's not far down the road from Horneytown.

Bath, NC is a long ways away from Dirty Ankle, though.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
LoriMNnice
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 03:35:33 PM »

My favorite is Big Bone Lick KY, I belive I even stopped and had my picture taken with the sign, we were just passing through on our way NC  Smiley
Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:55:47 PM »

Moderators please take note . Shouldn't this subject be under Humor is a Funny Thing.  I got a chuckle from each one. Good one Kathy !!.

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »

I just can't believe that Climax, GA made it and Cumming, GA didn't. 
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 01:48:50 AM »

Geoff, you might be one of the few of your countrymen who can say they have been to Boring!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 04:51:34 AM »

Boring is not boring and a place I could live in, well in the summertime anyway.

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 09:16:53 AM »

Let’s not forget where all the bad bee keepers will end up….Hell, Michigan  grin

Hell is a little north west of Ann Arbor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next