Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should I do, or reschedule this removal?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 564
  • Gender: Male
Should I do, or reschedule this removal?
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:19:46 PM »
I am scheduled to do my final removal of the year on Monday. The forcast is calling for a high of only 49 degrees. My goal is to combine this colony with one of my nucs, so getting the queen and brood aren't critical. I don't want to waste any brood, though, even though there probably won't be much this late. If there is enough brood to put into frames, I can keep it warm with a portable floodlight. Should I go ahead and do this, or reschedule when the temps are a little warmer? We have a contingency date of Oct. 22. The homeowner doesn't want to wait until spring, but if needed, I might be able to convince him.

Offline AllenF

  • Galactic Bee
  • ******
  • Posts: 8192
  • Gender: Male
Re: Should I do, or reschedule this removal?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »
I would put it off.   Too late in the season for the cutout to rebuild. 

Offline iddee

  • Galactic Bee
  • ******
  • Posts: 6666
  • Gender: Male
Re: Should I do, or reschedule this removal?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:48:50 PM »
Pretend you are an exterminator. If you would kill them out for the price being paid, do the job, then try to save what you can.
 If not, don't.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jaseemtp

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 330
  • Gender: Male
Re: Should I do, or reschedule this removal?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:57:43 PM »
I have had to look at it as they folks want them gone.  Most are not willingn to wait and if I put them off they will have the killed or find some one else willing to do it.  If I do it then I feel they can be offered a chance at making it.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline AllenF

  • Galactic Bee
  • ******
  • Posts: 8192
  • Gender: Male
Re: Should I do, or reschedule this removal?
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »
Cut them out and ship them to the deep south to rebuild.   I am sure there are beeks down there that would take them.   Treat them as a package.   

Offline JP

  • The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • *******
  • Posts: 11706
  • Gender: Male
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Should I do, or reschedule this removal?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:42:34 PM »
If they have to go now, what choice do you really have? If you have a choice, wait until spring.


...JP
"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube user name is JPthebeeman
 My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/

Offline gardeningfireman

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 564
  • Gender: Male
Re: Should I do, or reschedule this removal?
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
the homeowner is fine with waiting until spring.

Offline BlevinsBees

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 144
  • Gender: Male
    • Habitat for Honeybees
Re: Should I do, or reschedule this removal?
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 02:50:32 PM »
Wait till spring, at least you know you have a job all lined up for you after winter is over.
President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com

Offline duck

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Gender: Male
    • Big Thicket Bees
Re: Should I do, or reschedule this removal?
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 11:11:56 PM »
ive done a few lately, it was either get them and combine them, or they were calling the exterminator.  People cant wait to do some repairs or other upgrades to their homes.  Im just combining bees now.

 

anything