Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 27, 2014, 02:31:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slight rain, break in heat triggered pollen outburst ??  (Read 480 times)
Sour Kraut
House Bee

« on: July 27, 2012, 08:47:27 AM »

Good morn all

We had 'scattered showers' (VERY widely scattered !!) here yesterday, and the heat has abated a bit

The bees are landing 80-90 per minute with back legs loaded......I mean really loaded, with a white-colored pollen.

Seem to be more-than-normal 'other foragers' flying today too.

I'm assuming the moisture and lower temps triggered something in the vicinity to flower.

Still no short-range rain relief in sight here, however.

yockey5
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:53:55 AM »

I have seen little to no pollen in 6 weeks now. I am really starting to get worried. None of my hive have brood now, though they all have queens. No pollen in the brood nests. Plenty of honey and nectar.
tomofreno
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »

For a few weeks now mine have been coming in loaded with pollen like that in the early morning, say 6:30am to 9:30am, then they seem to switch to nectar since I don't see any with pollen after around 9:30-10:00, though traffic is still heavy.  And yeah, really heavy loads of pollen, big bulges.  The hive is about 100 yds from my door so I usually walk out to see what they are doing from time to time.  I guessed that the sun warms up flowing plants, nectar starts flowing, and the bees switch over.  Dunno.
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 11:43:15 AM »

For a few weeks now mine have been coming in loaded with pollen like that in the early morning, say 6:30am to 9:30am, then they seem to switch to nectar since I don't see any with pollen after around 9:30-10:00, though traffic is still heavy.  And yeah, really heavy loads of pollen, big bulges.  The hive is about 100 yds from my door so I usually walk out to see what they are doing from time to time.  I guessed that the sun warms up flowing plants, nectar starts flowing, and the bees switch over.  Dunno.

Are they carrying yellow pollen? Do you have Bahia grass growing their?
If so they are probably getting from the grass. My bees do that only in the morning.
What is supprising is that when you look at he seed stem of Bahia, it has green seeds with what looks like black pollen but they get yellow pollen from it.
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
yockey5
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 12:08:27 PM »

Finally just now (12:00 noon) I have pollen (yellowish gray) coming in by the truck loads.
uglyfrozenfish
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »

Our queen Ann's lace is blossoming like crazy up here. I have noticed just one or two bees on it but they were pulling off white/gray pollen. I also see them hammering my squash blossoms ( Yay squash!)

Lee
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next