Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 31, 2014, 01:08:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exposing Honey to Para-Moth  (Read 572 times)
SkepWrangler
New Bee

« on: July 17, 2012, 04:11:36 AM »

Fellow Beeks,

This may seem a well-hashed-over topic, but having read--I believe--all the posts on the subject, I find my situation hasn't really been addressed. 

Basic question:
What would you do protect comb from wax moths when the come has SOME honey in it? (SHB is not my question...we simply don't have them here in the desert.)

More specific question:
If freezing the frames is not an option, will honey be permanently damaged if exposed to Para-Moth?

Corollary Question:
If honey IS exposed to Para-Moth, could it--after airing out--be given back to the bees in the comb? (not talking about cut comb honey here...that is addressed in the Para-Moth labelling.)

Background:
For example, if there are multiple supers full of frames with fully drawn comb and each of the frames has some crystallized honey in the cells in the middle areas of the frames.  Is this a "never expose them to Para-Moth" situation?  I can't extract the honey because it is crystallized.  I can't reasonably freeze that volume of supers.  I can't spray the honey with solution of BT to protect against inevitable moths.
This is a big issue here because Mesquite honey and others are highly prone to crystallization.
If these types of frames can be safely stored in the Fall & Winter, the bees will--in the early Spring--clean them up before the flow.  That is IF they can be protected from moths in Fall and Winter.
I find instructions for Para-Moth here: https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=para-moth+instructions&oq=para-moth+instructions&gs_l=hp.3..0i30.5377.7853.2.8312.13.3.1.9.9.0.264.645.0j1j2.3.0...0.0...1c.6s9JeIA8b8Q&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=5b17c52398a8b9e9&biw=1280&bih=657
To my reading, the printed instruction sheet doesn't really address the question.
Please, somebody who has used Para-Moth, let me know what you recommend.
Thanks,
SkepWrangler
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 07:16:03 PM »

I don't see why you don't use Bt.  It is labeled for use (the last time I read the label) 4 hours before  the fruit is picked and sold at retail for raw human consumption.  Its got to be very safe to be labeled like that.

Also WMs don't do bright Sun light well.  Maybe you could expose the frames to light and protect them that way.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »

I would not use paramoth with honey in the comb.   Extract it if freezing the frames is not an option. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next