Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 20, 2014, 09:53:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bees all dead outside the hive entrance  (Read 1595 times)
TwoHoneys
House Bee

« on: July 12, 2012, 09:32:54 PM »

All the bees in one of my top-bar hives died outside the hive entrance. There are essentially no dead bees inside the hive.

A few weeks ago, I noticed lots of bees dead on the ground just outside the hive entrance. At that time, other bees were sort of twitching around on the ground. Now they're all dead.

I have 4 other top-bar hives and 4 Langs in the same yard, and all the others seem fine.

1. Anyone know what could cause this behavior and the end result?
2. Do you think it's safe to reuse all the comb from this hive?

-Liz

"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin
David McLeod
Field Bee

Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »

Sounds like pesticide exposure but I would expect to see all the hives to show symptoms.

Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:06:24 AM »

Just as David said.

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »

any chance that you had a yellowjacket or wasp invasion?  many might be killed, including the queen, then the others might drift to queen right hives.

i have never lost an entire hive like this, but i have lost queens and many bees when the hive is overwhelmed.  nothing left for it but to combine the few survivors with another hive.....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
sweet bee
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:49:45 PM »

My Aunt checked one of her hives today and found the same thing. Lots of dead and dying bees crawling around on the ground. She's going in tomorrow to further investigate.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 11:52:57 PM »

You probably have poison somewhere in the area. So far not all of the bees have found it. Once a bee in a hive finds it in a hive you may lose that hive. One by one you could lose them all.
You might want to move the hives from this area for a while.
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
TwoHoneys
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 07:11:37 AM »

any chance that you had a yellowjacket or wasp invasion?  many might be killed, including the queen, then the others might drift to queen right hives.

i have never lost an entire hive like this, but i have lost queens and many bees when the hive is overwhelmed.  nothing left for it but to combine the few survivors with another hive.....

No, kathyp, this was something systemic. You could just see it happening...bees left the hive to twitch on the ground, and then they died there. And ALL the dead bees (no survivors) are spread on the ground just outside the hive entrance. No bees died inside the hive. The hive body is totally empty. No dead bees on the bottom.

sweet bee: please let me know what your aunt discovers about her lost hive.

And what authorities would I contact in order to explore the cause of this? I have no idea where to begin. We do have a bee lab at Ohio State University...perhaps I should start there.

-Liz

"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin
oliver
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 08:42:39 AM »

They are spraying soy beans here for spider mites. Beans are blooming.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next