Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 21, 2014, 09:05:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark, Thick, "Tangy" Honey?  (Read 551 times)
Javin
House Bee

« on: July 09, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »

I've just gotten my first real "harvest" (five frames out of 20, they've been busy) and after extracting it by crushing and straining, I've ended up with a lot of very dark, almost molasses-like honey.  It also has a very distinct "tangy" flavor.  It's definitely not fermentation, as having experimented with my own wine, I'm pretty familiar with the taste of fermentation. 

But there's definitely a "tangy" flavor.  Perhaps it's a super strong flavor of the surrounding flowers (two flower nurseries within a mile) that all mingle together, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed such a flavor with their super dark and thick honeys?

Perhaps I could just call it "gourmet" and sell it for twice the price?   grin
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:27:54 AM »

I usually get dark honey in the fall. Dark honey has a much bolder / stronger flavor. Some customers want the dark honey but most want the lite.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:44:27 AM »

Poplar honey is kinda dark, but I would not call it tangy.   
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »

My first year I got dark tangy honey. I was from the popcorn tree. Also known as Chinese Tallow tree. The seeds make it look like it is covered with popcorn. I don't know if you have them up there. Down here it is illegal to plant them, they spread very quickly and take over an area.
In a good year they make a lot of nectar. I have not seen any honey from it for the last 2 years.
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next