I'm going foundationless and here's what I've done:
I STARTED with twenty frames of foundation. After those first twenty were drawn out, I took a couple frames of capped honey and crush extracted it. I took the little wax that was left over, boiled it in water, and let it cool. The thin sheet of wax left over, I then cut into about half-inch strips, and was able to put together another 10 frames with just a little half inch by 4 inch strip stuck into the tops of the dadant frames, anchored with nothing more than pressure. The other two I'd pulled from just went back into the hive. I then staggered the frames, putting the ones with strips between drawn comb (my hive ended up a mess between where brood and honey was stored, but the bees didn't seem to mind).
After the bees drew those out, I shuffled the hive again, this time pulling out five frames, and crush straining those. The ones the brood had mostly hatched out of, I moved to the top for them to put honey in, then staggered the dadant frames with the wax strips in them between those that were drawn out.
By the time I put my fifth hive body on (all mediums) I didn't have any foundation frames left. Everything was naturally drawn. Now, my bees are about a mile from two different flower nurseries, so I think I've had an above-average experience for how quickly they were able to draw everything out, but I did start with foundation, and ended up foundationless in the same frames.
The ones you crush/strain from, I've left a small (VERY small) amount of comb around the rims to give them a guide, and they seemed to have no problem drawing out from there. Once you have some drawn comb, they don't seem to be too picky as to how they want to draw things out from there.